NEurope
mcj metroid

Queen's visit to Ireland

Just wondering from an English point of view what your opinions are on the Queen's visit to Ireland.

Personally, I'm delighted this is happening. The past needs to be concluded.

But we have our dissident republicans making bomb threats and just general retard behaviour ..like this video

http://www.twitvid.com/U1P8F

That make me ashamed to be Irish.. Nice burning of a plastic flag there lads!

Also people complain about the 30 million we had to spend on security ( which I believe includes Obama's security too)

I'd love to hear this from an English point of view and some of our irish members too. I know everyone is thinking.. " Surely all rational people are over this? ".... not so.. you'd be surprised how dim witted some people are.

I have to agree with you, I'm very happy with the visit. It's nice to see that we can finally host a visit from the Queen and that the majority of people here have accepted it and have no problem with it. I would have liked to have been in the Garden of Remembrance this afternoon, a truly historic and poignant moment.

I'm glad the protests were nowhere near the levels of the 2006 Love Ulster parade protests but still it was quite embarrassing to see coverage of the few scumbags setting things on fire and attacking the police. The majority of these idiots are just causing trouble for the sake of it, dressed in their Utd/Liverpool tracksuits with the irony flying straight over their neanderthal heads..

I look forward to hearing the Queen's speech tomorrow night at Dublin Castle, hopefully the rest of the visit goes off without a hitch.

The majority of these idiots are just causing trouble for the sake of it, dressed in their Utd/Liverpool tracksuits with the irony flying straight over their neanderthal heads..

I'd been struggling with a post for 2 minutes with something like this as my main point.

I'm not too sharp on the history or politics behind Ireland's independance. I get that a country wants to be it's own, fair enough. I've never understood the 'having your cake and eating it' nature of the dislike, hate us, support British football teams is the biggest example.

Is there truly a deep hatred for Britain in Ireland still?

Is there truly a deep hatred for Britain in Ireland still?

Yes... although it is more of a minority... Northern Ireland is a complete culture shock to anyone from the "outside". Coming from Scotland I was amazed that people care SO MUCH about your religion, forces people used to nearly be outed, and bomb scares are never a big deal.

I came here as part of a forces family.... we had to get the car reg changed to a n.ireland one (they have a different reg system) our phone number was ex-dir (pretty much unheard of at the time) and we had to keep quiet about what our father did for a living

If I had to choose I'm more on the protestant/unionist vote, BUT I hate fighting in general... just would love it if we could stay as we are and just get on :(

Edited by Raining_again

I'm not a massive fan of the monarchy... yet I caught a glimpse of the queen in Brighton a decade or so ago (or her mum? I can't properly remember, to be honest) and was all OMGOMGIJUSTDIDSOMEEYESEEINGSTUFFOFAMAZING... Couldn't help but feel a part of history, or something equally banal.

I will freely admit that I always forget which ireland has dublin and wich has belfast (belfast is northern ireland, I am currently believing). I have generally found irish people to be funny, chatty, and somewhat able to weild their accent as some sort of legitimate reason for being in a pub alone.

I've not met the queen, however, so it'd be utterly stereotypical of me to really infer any further.

(AND SUDDENLY ALL THE IRISH FORUMERS ARE IN ONE PLACE! :P Lol at current active users)

Well it's the Queen is more of a symbol than anything else. In my opinion this should have been done a long time ago though. Sometime in the 90's, when Irish people were the peace processes were happening properly and Irish people in general were starting to feel more confident and we actually had money.

People talking about security costs at a time when Ireland don't have the money ISN'T helping matters.

(AND SUDDENLY ALL THE IRISH FORUMERS ARE IN ONE PLACE! :P Lol at current active users)

lol :P

well i had no idea till today she was visiting ireland.. :D

(and i liked the pub thing... i love how bein irish is just an excuse to get to the pub...lol)

but yeh dont shoot her... please :/

and lol there was a bomb scare in ballymena today... one of the shoppin centres got evacuated and the boy got a gun pointed at him(... by a police man) so things arent lookin good :P

I'm staying well away from the city centre these few days. It was a mess when they started laying the fencing along the roads. Apparently people are getting their bags and houses searched (places where the Queen/Obama will be visiting, esp. prime sniping spots) and all of that. The bomb scares and IRA stunts annoy me more than anything. I can understand the deep-rooted prejudice against Britain, but terrorism is just not the answer. Also, I don't really have any interest in the Royal Family, so I won't be following this visit :p

Well it's the Queen is more of a symbol than anything else.

I've always thought of the Queen as more of a person like you, me or anyone else around here.

...admittedly we don't have too many 80-year-old Germans posting on the forum, but you know what I mean.

Ireland and Britian obviously have a long (not so pleasent) history, espcially from the Irish perspective. The scars are so deep it's hard to imagine they'll ever fully heal. And with the island still divided in two having the Queen visit Ireland is always gonna be a touchy subject whether it be now or next year or ten years from now.

Seeing the pictures in the Garden of Rememberance yesterday was odd for me, on the one hand I could see the positive of wanting to show some "reconciliation", seeing the two heads of state, the Irish President and British Queen, stand side by side as equals... is that not a great sign of our attained freedom?... on the other I could see the other side of it too...is a country divided truely free? the small republican* side of me wanted an apology to be honest... who knows maybe in her speech today :heh:

.... I just wonder how people would feel if say Bin Ladens Grandchildren went to visit Ground Zero in New York... or a memorial to the London 7-7 attack (is there one?). Of course there would be a divide there too, those who would see the positive of the and those who will still remember if it wasn't for their ancestor those memorials wouldn't have been needed.

I think the contrast of people "hating Britian but supporting British football teams" (just talking about the yobbos who just want an excuse to cause trouble) is such irony it's insane. The worst being the support between Celtic or Rangers... Celtic beig the Catholics choice ad Rangers being the Protestants choice. It's like a sign of what you are if you profess to support either.

And of course that whole religious divide that is said to be cause of the tensions in the north such stupidness. Many forget that during the rebellions for independence many protestants fought for a free Ireland, and many such as Wolfe Tone remembered as heroes still.

I do wonder what the island might be like if we didnt have religion.

Went slightly off topic there i guess

* I say republican, in the sense I do dream of a United Ireland one day, maybe not in my lifetime but one day.... but I do not support violence and terror acts, nor do I have anything against the british people.

Well it's the Queen is more of a symbol than anything else.

She's Batman?

That explains a lot...

Yes... although it is more of a minority... Northern Ireland is a complete culture shock to anyone from the "outside". Coming from Scotland I was amazed that people care SO MUCH about your religion, forces people used to nearly be outed, and bomb scares are never a big deal.

Hearing things like this makes me never want to visit Northern Island. It just sounds frightening. Is so strange that someplace so close geographically, is so different culturally. And not in a good way. I can't believe there are so many countries still so much in the grip of religion.

So much ugliness... why?? It's 2011. :nono:

That was slightly off topic sorry, i don't really have an opinion/don't care about Queenie's visit.

ALso very hypicritical to wear a MAN UTD jersey at an Anti-British Rally..

I ALWAYS found that strange with Irish people.. yet tell it to anyone and you'll get blank stares.

I've always thought of the Queen as more of a person like you, me or anyone else around here.

...admittedly we don't have too many 80-year-old Germans posting on the forum, but you know what I mean.

You don't have to take the word symbol too literally. She represents (or symbolizes) a change in Irish affairs with her arrival. It's the first time we had a royal since the independence of this country.

It's quite a bit deal really in my opinion. It's all about moving forward.. Sure it won't do much to change a few people's opinions, but it was basically the last step left in sealing a troubled past.

Maybe he's fed up of the pigs.

I hope Lizzie has a lovely holiday and doesn't die; I recommend the Guinness Storehouse and Dublin Zoo if she's stuck for things to do.

She's visiting St. James Gate today apparently :awesome:

And Friday one of my favourite medevil ruins, the Rock of Cashel, (funny yesterday I heard a Sky News reporter called it "Ca-Shell"... it's actually "Cash-el")

If anything with an international media presence and Obama coming next week, should help bring more tourists (and their money) to visit Ireland.

At this point I'd like to point out even though I actually have no interest in the Queen or Royals I do know where she's going as I do watch the news, so can't really escape it all, just reading that back to myself made it sound like I was really interested in the visit :heh: Just want to engage in convo on the forums :)

ALso very hypicritical to wear a MAN UTD jersey at an Anti-British Rally..

Wonder if there gonna be any "protests" in Cashel Friday? I'm only an hour away... again while I have no interest in the Queen, if anything did happen would make a good youtube video and if I could catch some "protestors" wearing English Club jerseys would really make a good vid:awesome:

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

Friday is her last day, right? Has anyone been in the city centre? I really need to get some stuff done, but I'm wary of crowds/riots/messed-up bus routes/bombs/etc.

From what I heard, only 50 people showed up to a protest yesterday in Dublin. I think the only reason they're there is that they see it as an opportunity to cause some anarchy (just like any other protest really).

Ireland and Britian obviously have a long (not so pleasent) history, espcially from the Irish perspective. The scars are so deep it's hard to imagine they'll ever fully heal. And with the island still divided in two having the Queen visit Ireland is always gonna be a touchy subject whether it be now or next year or ten years from now.

Seeing the pictures in the Garden of Rememberance yesterday was odd for me, on the one hand I could see the positive of wanting to show some "reconciliation", seeing the two heads of state, the Irish President and British Queen, stand side by side as equals... is that not a great sign of our attained freedom?... on the other I could see the other side of it too...is a country divided truely free? the small republican* side of me wanted an apology to be honest... who knows maybe in her speech today :heh:

.... I just wonder how people would feel if say Bin Ladens Grandchildren went to visit Ground Zero in New York... or a memorial to the London 7-7 attack (is there one?). Of course there would be a divide there too, those who would see the positive of the and those who will still remember if it wasn't for their ancestor those memorials wouldn't have been needed.

I think the contrast of people "hating Britian but supporting British football teams" (just talking about the yobbos who just want an excuse to cause trouble) is such irony it's insane. The worst being the support between Celtic or Rangers... Celtic beig the Catholics choice ad Rangers being the Protestants choice. It's like a sign of what you are if you profess to support either.

And of course that whole religious divide that is said to be cause of the tensions in the north such stupidness. Many forget that during the rebellions for independence many protestants fought for a free Ireland, and many such as Wolfe Tone remembered as heroes still.

I do wonder what the island might be like if we didnt have religion.

Went slightly off topic there i guess

* I say republican, in the sense I do dream of a United Ireland one day, maybe not in my lifetime but one day.... but I do not support violence and terror acts, nor do I have anything against the british people.

Are you seriously comparing the Queen visiting the Garden of Remembrance to Bin Laden's grandchildren visiting ground zero? I don't know much about the Irish War of Independence, but wasn't it a guerilla war thought by the IRA mainly against the police force in Ireland (consisting of both Irish and British people)? Atrocities were committed by both sides, it's a war and war sucks. Both sides should be allowed to honour the dead.

Besides, I don't see what the Queen has to apologise for. Why should future generations bare the guilt of actions done in the past? We, as a country, were dicks, but the past is set in stone. Should the Norwegians apologise to us for the Vikings?

Apologies in advance if I'm accidentally conveying the wrong tone here, I'm not trying to stir up any emotions or be insensitive. I don't claim to fully understand how the Irish feel about this subject. I do think that people need to move on from the past, and in a way this state visit is well overdue; France and Germany held state visits less than 20 years after the Second World War, and I think France had quite a lot to complain about (getting invaded 3 times in 70 years!). Remember the past, yes, but look to the future.

But as you say, the history of island would probably be quite different without religion. The unfortunate thing is that the conflicts in Ireland are mainly thought with Irishmen on both sides.

Are you seriously comparing the Queen visiting the Garden of Remembrance to Bin Laden's grandchildren visiting ground zero?

extreme example I know, but I was trying to say for example years from now when/if the "war on terror" is long over and behind us. A grandchild or great grandchild (I don't even know if he has grandchildren yet) wanted to show some gesture of reconciliation. You'd likely get a similar reaction in New York as we have here now. A majority of acceptance and a minorty of "protests".

Forgot to mention earlier, I was in O'Connel Street in Dublin, during the "Love Ulster" parade protests, that was an ugly day. And a lot more people involved than what seems to be involved yesterday (haven't seen the news yet, don't know if anything happened today). You could just tell on that day something was gonna kick off and there were people there not to protest but to use it as an excuse to cause trouble or attack Gardaí (Police). I just happened to be there as was visiting a cousin, I knew about the parade and possible protests, but didn't expect anything like what happened.... I had video of it on my old phone, but it was just before the days of Youtube so I ended up deleting the videos not long after and didn't upload them anywhere :heh:

I always wonder why people rioting try to start by chucking stuff at the Gardaí who have nothing to do with what ever the protest is about... I reckon they just don't like the Gardaí and using a "protest" as an excuse.

Edited by Mokong

Religion seriously has very little to do with troubles in the north. It's more of a sectarianism of class-divisions, land, Unionist vs Nationalist!... It just so happens that most Unionists are protestants and most Nationalists are Catholics and so religion is the supposed reason. Nah man, tis bullshit.

Wonder if there gonna be any "protests" in Cashel Friday? I'm only an hour away... again while I have no interest in the Queen, if anything did happen would make a good youtube video and if I could catch some "protestors" wearing English Club jerseys would really make a good vid:awesome:

Friday is her last day, right? Has anyone been in the city centre? I really need to get some stuff done, but I'm wary of crowds/riots/messed-up bus routes/bombs/etc.

Honestly, if you're not part of the protests, you're probably better off staying at home. Police these days generally don't care weather you're a violent protestor or someone just going about your business.

[

for those interested. THe queen's speech in Dublin. ( she speaks Irish :D)

Indeed, I was actually very pleasently surprised by her "cúpla focal" when I saw it on the news. Very unexpected.

Wonder will Obama do the same next week (what day is that by the way you know?... wonder how "locked down" Moneyghall will be? Might think of going for a spin :))