NEurope
flameboy

Age of Empires Online - Out Now

If you download the client before Midnight tonight then you get free access for the duration of the beta. It looks like an awesome blend of Age of Empires 2 (a game I used to love) with a smattering of MMO stuff along with a free to play micro transaction business model (love them of hate them they are here to stay)

aoeo-01.jpg

aoeo-06.jpg

Try it here;

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-GB/Games/aoe-online---beta/

Make a new account with a UK address? Works for downloading Japanese XBLA and PSN games.

On the one hand I'm interested, but on the other: Games For Windows.

On the one hand I'm interested, but on the other: Games For Windows.

I know I can't even get it to install the client the launcher thing won't connect to Games for Windows.

Hm, I clicked download, I signed in with my Live ID, I clicked install, it's installed. Just as smooth as Steam for me :)

Hm, I clicked download, I signed in with my Live ID, I clicked install, it's installed. Just as smooth as Steam for me :)

bizzare...i'm gonna switch off firewall/virus checker and try again

nah getting error code 0x800c0008

Edited by flameboy

I use GFWL with no problem with Dead Rising 2, Arkham Asylum and such.

So this is now out!

Just spent a little while this morning playing it.

So awesome!

And I fucking LOVE the art style.

GET IT!

It looks like this is going to do well, and seems to have a decent amount of hype among people I've talked to. Such a shame that Company of Heroes online went down the toilet =(

Edited by The Bard

I've put a couple of hours into this and it's very cool, but I think the Premium Civilisation upgrade is way too expensive.

As I was enjoying myself — and was starting to brush up against the paywall, finding restricted items and the like — I figured I'd investigate upgrading. Then I saw it would cost just over 1800MSP, which is around £15. And that's just for the one empire. I was ready to fork over, say, 800 points, but now Microsoft aren't going to get anything and I'm still playing the game with limitations; neither of us have come out of this winners.

Other than the above the game's really good, though. The presentation is excellent, the familiar AoE concepts are all there and the quest-based structure makes it easy for anyone to get into whilst providing a nice amount of variety. Everyone should give it a go.