NEurope
~LAc~BodyCount

PS3 or Xbox 360

The 360 does most of that functionality by having a well designed interface.

I really think this is just a case of being comfortable with what you know. The Dashboard is notorious for hiding everything under menu layers, bogging down performance with ads and generally being a rather bloated interface. The new one looks nice, mind.

Also, I'm not sure how anyone can think Microsoft is disappointed with Kinect. If anything it's the complete opposite and they're scrambling to catch up with the device's success. You don't have to be interested in owning one to acknowledge that.

I have both consoles and I actually find both menus equally accessible, although the 360 one more aesthetically pleasing and modern. Also it provides so much more, like streaming Q&A videos, tips, developer interviews and movie trailers.

On PS3, getting around the main menu is perfectly fine (although the settings/options menu is way too long and complex), but the thing I really dislike is the online store. After well over a year, I have yet to grasp where XBLA/VC-type games go. Have they just refused to give them their own category? Also why are there not free trials for all downloadable games? I don't know what Minis are, but they're too expensive for their title, and again, no trials. And why do some demos just disappear after a time (such as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2)? It's not like they'll be running out of server space.

The Marketplace on 360 is so much better, browse games, demos, arcade titles or addons, easily browse alphabetically, by newest or by most popular.

Really easy and clear to use, much better than having to sift through panels on the xbox until you get to the relevant section. Want to rent a movie or watch a DVD? Just move to the big film icon. Couldn't be much simpler.

The main dashbroard works like the XBM, just turned 90 degrees. Just go up to the Video section to rent a film.

The most useful part of the Xbox's software is the guide menu. Everything you need for communicating with people, sending invites and other options you may need while playing games is really easy to get to. And pressing the guide button when you receive a game invite, message or achievement takes you right to that game invite/message/achievement.

If you want to know why you got a trophy on PS3 you have to press the PS button, go to the trophy section, open the game and find the trophy manually. Similar method for invites and messages.

To be clear I don't think the Dashboard is bad — unless we're talking about the original — I just wouldn't hold it up as an example of a good user interface. For general navigation I think the XMB is streets ahead by virtue of being so responsive, but the Dash makes up ground due to its more cohesive nature.

I think this thread drives home how rubbish it is having both the PlayStation and Xbox on the market. They're so bloody similar and yet have just enough merits to justify certain people buying both. It would be so much easier if they were one and the same: Sony could bring the hardware and its Worldwide Studios, Microsoft could handle the software and networking. Unfortunately the chances of that happening are almost nil thanks to SCE and MGS just being parts of competing conglomerates.

The main dashbroard works like the XBM, just turned 90 degrees. Just go up to the Video section to rent a film.

The most useful part of the Xbox's software is the guide menu. Everything you need for communicating with people, sending invites and other options you may need while playing games is really easy to get to. And pressing the guide button when you receive a game invite, message or achievement takes you right to that game invite/message/achievement.

If you want to know why you got a trophy on PS3 you have to press the PS button, go to the trophy section, open the game and find the trophy manually. Similar method for invites and messages.

Pressing the home button also takes you to the particular message on the PS3. As well as that, the cool PS3 keypad attachment that is under a tenner now has various shortcut buttons for easy navigation.

The dashboard section navigation isn't great. It's not as simple to see at a glance where you need to go to. Sections seem cluttered - each section takes up a whole screen, with useless things in the background like pseudo miis (ugh). Well, I've used both for a very long time, and I've always preferred the XMB.

You didn't really grasp my point, did you? I originally responded to the idea that Kinect has been a failure for Microsoft. In the post you quoted, I went on to point out that our opinion of the games' quality is irrelevant in this particular debate.

If we were talking about whether or not Kinect is a great gadget with great games, I would be on your side, but we were not.

I think you may have missed mine then. The very salient point being that, as none of us have vested interests in the company, it's silly to cheer or even defend the financial success of a company instead of addressing it's impact on quality gaming.

It would be better if our preferred company/gadget wasn't the most successful. That might mean they weren't forcing as much brain training or fitness garbage ahead of better titles. Oh and picking up on the 'fastest selling' comment you used in defence of Kinect was entirely justified, as it is a pretty silly gimmicky statistic.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Disagree with Sheikah on last comment. Would give reasons but I'm too hardcore for that.

By last comment do you mean 'fastest selling'? I hate that term as it is never accompanied by a time frame (e.g. Sold the most units in x months). And because it usually focuses on a narrow window rather than more long term sales. It's 'trend' in statistic form.

Well whilst unspecified, the term fastest selling still indicates success to some degree. If you sell 10 million products within that short window, it's been well marketed and has proved to have value to consumers. Long term success we'll have to wait and see, I think it's in danger of sinking.

(P.S I think Kinect is crap)

And I don't think people were getting all shareholder-y, sometimes sales can be interesting to discuss purely from a business perspective. It's when you talk to Zechs that issues arise.

Yeah but what window? It's arbitrary, and can be spun to make something sound better than it is. I am saying that it is a bad, misleading use of statistics, not that it doesn't convey success at all. It's the scientist within me hating shite stats.

What companies do to draw casuals is dull as dishwater, fair enough if people want to discuss it though. It won't have any positive impact on quality gaming.

I'm talking about the window it's been on the market Sheikz. It's true, that the phrase is shit. Bit of a discrepancy going on between what everyone seems to be inferring. I wasn't assuming you thought it was useless, but bleh.

And again the quality of gaming thing is not the discussion. It's insulting to suggest people think more sales = better games. I think everyone here (just about) understands that.

Pipe down bitch!

Of course everyone understands that sales doesn't necessarily mean good gaming, but that never stops people bringing up 'success' in some way or another to defend/bash companies. So silly.

I've been playing my xbox for about the past 4 months, and had my ps3 since the day it came out, but I'm getting it for the 360. I find the online experience muchc more enjoyable.

Edited by Derrick

Ooh, this topic!

On topic, right about now it's become obvious that the PS3 is the superior console.

If only they would've changed the god awful controller, it'd be pretty much perfect.

If only they would've changed the god awful controller, it'd be pretty much perfect.
This!

Should be getting myself one for Christmas.

Just need to start looking round for the best console price.

I still prefer the 360 for multiformat games.

As do I. But only because of the controller, really.

My PS3 is basically only used for exclusives or games in which the platform has a clear advantage (Portal 2/Arkham Asylum, etc), and even then I play some of them with a 360 controller cross adapter.

But... if that controller weren't so damn worse, it'd now be my main console.

Sorry if it's meant to be obvious but why is PS3 better for Portal 2 and Arkham Asylum?

Sorry if it's meant to be obvious but why is PS3 better for Portal 2 and Arkham Asylum?

Portal 2 - Steam integration, cross-platform PC/PS3 play, DLC at the same time as PC, supposedly mods will be released on PS3.

For those of you interested in a PS3 Sainsburys doing a 160gb for http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Xbox-360/Console-Price-Crash/category.html?category=games/xbox/gameconsolepricereduce

for £157.99

PS3 is better for Battlefield 3 too. Nicer sound, DTS HD and MLAA for anti aliasing. Even the pc version is well made as it runs better than MW3 on the same pc. In general pc is the multi platform system though if you can build one.

Edited by Choze

Though PC destroys them all nowadays and gets practically all multi-platform games. You have PhysX, better stereoscopic 3D, improved games (BF3) etc. and not to mention better open online and mods etc.

Well, a very expensive PC.

Well, a very expensive PC.

A normal pc is fine provided its a quad core nowadays. But yeah its costs way more than any console etc.

Portal 2 Cube explained already, Arkahm Asylum has the Joker DLC... which is quite awesome, but in retrospect wasn't worth the sacrifice of playing with the DS3.

What is it people find so troublesome about the DualShock 3? For my money it's the best all-purpose controller.

What is it people find so troublesome about the DualShock 3? For my money it's the best all-purpose controller.

For a start the left analogue stick is in the wrong place!