NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'm always in for a disturbing horror film.

I am excited about this film on the big screen. 

• Thanks 1

That Godzilla collection looks brilliant! And I know cats is getting a fair bit of hate but I really can't wait to see it lol.

I was gonna pop and see Current War after work but was too tired so will check it out on Monday, weirdly enough it says it was released late 2017 in the US but only released here today so I'm not sure what's going on there. 

You can bet that yet again that the UK will not be getting that Godzilla collection. The rights to Godzilla are a mess over here. I’d love to own it as well.

3 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

That Godzilla collection looks brilliant! And I know cats is getting a fair bit of hate but I really can't wait to see it lol.

I was gonna pop and see Current War after work but was too tired so will check it out on Monday, weirdly enough it says it was released late 2017 in the US but only released here today so I'm not sure what's going on there. 

It premiered at a festival in late 2017 just before the Harvey Weinstein scandal hit. Because it was produced by The Weinstein Company the release was put on hold until the company was taken over and rebranded. Apparently it isn't very good but the whole Edison/Tesla/Westinghouse story is really interesting so it's probably worth a watch just for that.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You can bet that yet again that the UK will not be getting that Godzilla collection. The rights to Godzilla are a mess over here. I’d love to own it as well.

I was under the impression Criterion had specific UK releases for their catalogue. Don't all films make it over? Anyway, import it if you want it, the 2 Criterion releases I have are from the US. I wish I could get it, but I can't spend the 180 dollars for it in the coming months. 

Criterion have already released multiple Godzilla collections and they never made it over. I’m not buying a multi region Blu-ray player to take up space for just one collection, no matter how much I want them so I’m not interested in importing.

Someone on Era has posted that Criterion were emailed and asked about a UK release. Word is this current one is definitely Region A but they are actually looking into a November UK release if they can which would be great.

Someone uploaded a 35mm 4K scan of the original teaser for Sam Raimi's Spider-Man yesterday, which was originally buried because of the Twin Towers (and possibly because of the ridiculous helicopter logic lol)

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 1

Re-released in Cinema for its 20th anniversary at the end of the month. I mean, I assume it's world-wide. Really looking forward to it, I've never seen the first one in cinema, it was just before I really got into watching films.

34 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

It’s already been out at the cinemas, I think they started showing it in July.

Ah, not over here. Anyway, looking forward to it regardless. :laughing:

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

As little faith as I have that a Matrix 4 would turn out good, I’m still excited for this. I just want more Matrix.

It's been a very long time since I watched Revolutions (might well be that I last watched it when it first came out at the cinema) but I don't recall there seeming to be any possibility for sequels starring the same cast, surely it will just be a reboot? I think the Wachowski's have only improved as filmmakers in the last 15 years though so I look forward to seeing what Lana has come up with. Does seem a bit weird that Lilly isn't involved but she clearly isn't ready to start working on a big film project just yet. 

I really love the first Matrix but haven't seen the others, I was late to the party (like really late - saw it for the first time in about 2010) and have been told by so many people that the sequels are bad but I'll give them a whirl anyway and see for myself.

I like the Matrix sequels.

I haven't seen them in a while though, so they may not stand up very well, but I enjoyed them at the time.

lady-and-the-tramp-live-action-poster-re

New poster for the latest live action Disney film! 

Edited by Josh64

Why is there so little original content these days? Instead it's The Lion King remade, or Top Gun 2, or five and a half thousand Marvel films and series based on existing comic books, or a rebooted Addams Family, or Matrix 4...

Edited by Ronnie

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Why is there so little original content these days? Instead it's The Lion King remade, or Top Gun 2, or five and a half thousand Marvel films and series based on existing comic books, or a rebooted Addams Family, or Matrix 4...

There's plenty.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Oh ok

I have seen very few films last few months.. And I haven't updated the film diary thread. I'm ashamed of myself.

But to name one example.. Have you seen Booksmart? because I suspect most of you haven't. It's original and super funny.

Edited by Sméagol

5 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I have seen very few films last few months.. And I haven't updated the film diary thread. I'm ashamed of myself.

But to name one example.. Have you seen Booksmart? because I suspect most of you haven't. It's original and super funny.

I hear Malala has.

Hollywood has been remaking/adapting things for literally a hundred years now. It's just overall they're putting out more content and the media tends to focus on the most popular (because clicks) but the growth of digital filmmaking has meant there's plenty more original work out there than there ever has been. Go spend a day on Vimeo or get a Curzon Home membership.

Of course there's plenty of original work. I'm talking more big budget type tentpole releases. Things like Jurassic Park, Toy Story, Alien, Kill Bill, Independence Day, Stargate, the Matrix, Titanic, Contact, Avatar, Men in Black, Austin Powers, Armageddon, Fifth Element,

Now it just seems to be either remakes, sequels a decade or two too late, or (and what I suspect is the real culprit) a new Marvel/superhero film every few weeks.