NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

That's why you watch them the night they come out, and don't watch trailers. So shit doesn't impinge on your vision.

I don't find trailers are so bad as they're typically about 90 seconds. Whereas when you have people going on ad nauseum about how great something is it builds up this impossible expectation. At least trailers are (more or less) representative of the film, or at least literally show bits of it, whereas discussions are interpretations.

It's why I've never gelled with Family Guy. I've seen many episodes now (not really through choice) but I have no desire to see it because for years people talked about how it was the "funniest thing ever!" and nothing can ever live up to that hype.

Hmmm. The title is reasonably amusing, and the prospect of spoofing 3D could actually be good (blatant lol bits) but yes. Shit.

Ah, its so true. A real shame. Why don't classics like Not Another Teen Movie appear nowadays? It can't be that hard.

Don't get me wrong, I love spoof movies...just not by them. I like the ones like Airplane, Hot Shots, Naked Gun and Scary Movies but I just find it seriously hard to believe they were actually supposedly two of the six writers of Scary Movie. They're just not funny and this is coming from a guy who can laugh at bad jokes.

I'd like to see a spoof on 3D movies but by someone else. However, I'm just scared that people'd be inspired by their shittiness and use that. It needs to be done by someone who can actually write funny movies. I want someone out there to make spoof movies funny again.

I don't find trailers are so bad as they're typically about 90 seconds. Whereas when you have people going on ad nauseum about how great something is it builds up this impossible expectation. At least trailers are (more or less) representative of the film, or at least literally show bits of it, whereas discussions are interpretations.

It's why I've never gelled with Family Guy. I've seen many episodes now (not really through choice) but I have no desire to see it because for years people talked about how it was the "funniest thing ever!" and nothing can ever live up to that hype.

I can't say that happens to me a lot of the time but I know exactly what you mean. People have told me how fantastic Black Swan was but I was very intrigued to see it in the first place. The thing that I tend to do is before walking in the cinema to watch the movie or before watching the DVD, I literally just clear my head of what I've heard about it and just watch it. If I get hyped up, it'd be because the trailer was so good.

I did the same thing with Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I heard people tell me it was the best Pirates but I didn't let that hype me up about the movie that much, I wanted to see it anyway. Before I went in, I just cleared my mind of everything said about it and levelled my expectations and walk in. I came out disagreeing with everybody who said that. I'd agree with them on the first half of the movie being the best but the second half was probably the most boring thing I've had to sit through in a movie this year and it seemed to go on for forever as well, which was even worse.

Watch Down Periscope, Loaded Weapon 1, Top Secret!, Young Frankenstein, Space Balls or Murder By Death. Mel Brooks is the man when it comes to Spoofs.

of course, spoofs work best when you know what they're parodying.

There's also a movie that kinda parodies Godfather/Goodfellas but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

Watch Down Periscope, Loaded Weapon 1, Top Secret!, Young Frankenstein, Space Balls or Murder By Death. Mel Brooks is the man when it comes to Spoofs.

of course, spoofs work best when you know what they're parodying.

There's also a movie that kinda parodies Godfather/Goodfellas but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

Man I've got to watch Young Frankenstein again. Been such a long time. Loved it. I really need to check out some of his other films, with the only other one I've seen being Blazin' Saddles which is superb.

And I think the Godfather spoof is called Mafia or something like that. I only remember it for two reasons: firstly, the old woman farting on the candle and blowing up the hotel apartment and secondly, the old man chasing a little kid through a corn field with orange peel cut to look like teeth in his mouth only to get a mouth full of bug spray :laughing:

Man I've got to watch Young Frankenstein again. Been such a long time. Loved it. I really need to check out some of his other films, with the only other one I've seen being Blazin' Saddles which is superb.

And I think the Godfather spoof is called Mafia or something like that. I only remember it for two reasons: firstly, the old woman farting on the candle and blowing up the hotel apartment and secondly, the old man chasing a little kid through a corn field with orange peel cut to look like teeth in his mouth only to get a mouth full of bug spray :laughing:

YES! I love Blazin' Saddles. Also, thanks for the list, Jay, I'll definitely check them out! I might watch them today, lol. : peace:

Blazing Saddles is amazing. I saw that the same night I saw Airplane. It was a good night.

Movies aside, it's worth mentioning The Comic Strip presents... anyone interested in british comedy needs to watch some of this. You have spoofs of an array of things from enid blighton to the apocalypse, via car pooling, drugs, the sweeney, and pretty much anything. It was responsible (in effect) for French and Saunders, Robbie Coltrane, The young Ones and Bottom - it influenced spaced/green wing/boosh/Jam, and it (iirc) did the rockumentary mockumentary format before This Is Spinal Tap with Bad News.

yeah. Cool beans. You can get it for £14, which is 9 discs and something like 25-35 hour-long episodes of genius.

Senna

I watched Senna today with my girlfriend. And just wow. It was incredible. For those of you that don't know, he was a 3x F1 World Champion who died at Imola 94, live to almost 300 million people. It's not really about f1, more about him and his struggle with the political side of F1. My girlfriend has no interest in the sport and was in tears by the end, says it all really. I really can't recommend it enough to anyone looking for a great movie and to learn about one of sports greatest figures. It's made using original footage of Senna (so no actors) and it works a treat.

A warning though, it is damn emotional. I think I've only ever cried once during a film but bloody hell when they showed the accident that took him I fucking wept. Fortunately everyone else there was crying too so I kinda got away with it....

10/10. Beautiful film.

Would love to see it. Might see if my family are up for a trip to the cinema.

Goron_3, I suggest you watch TT3D: Closer to the Edge. It's about the TT races and how the bikers get ready for them and it tells you about the trickiest corners and about the lives lost and accidents had. That was an emotional movie for me as well. I've only ever cried at one or two movies to memory but that movie had me on the verge of tears, it's extremely emotional. Beautiful movie.

So I saw Red Riding Hood because of Amanda Seyfried and Gary Oldman and I just wonder what the hell possessed them to even star in a movie as shit as this? Everything was just terrible but those two were the only ones who made the movie pretty bearable as they both didn't really take the movie so seriously. It would be very hard to take anything in that movie seriously but then again, it is from the director of Twilight so what do you expect? It just felt really awkward to watch. I've never felt that way about a movie before and watching it literally made me feel quite awkward and made me cringe a little because of the shitness.

I also watched Saving Private Ryan which is a brilliant war movie and I absolutely love. Tom Hanks' performance is just brilliant and the whole movie is just basically fantastic. I love it.

Edited by Animal

Watched Pirates of the carribean 4.

It was alright, nothing compared to the first one, but far less crazy than the second and third, some parts weren't needed at all, but it didn't drag and some of the characters were alright for most of the time.

My view is slightly warped as I had some very annoying brats behind me.

6/10

Watched the majority of Let Me In (interuppted so couldn't finish).

Eh. What I expected really, just far less nicely done than the original, more 'obviousness' tossed in, bit more action. Not a horrible remake, just needless and as I expected, worse.

Just saw The Hangover part II, thought it was great. We're up to 25 minutes worth of ads before the film starts now...

Just finished watching Serenity on blu ray. Gorram it I love that movie! Im gonna have to watch the entire series again now though, its got me in the mood. Thought it looked great in blu ray aswell, some awesome space scenes.

....I miss that cast being all together, a different cast and that show wouldnt have worked.

I watched Kung Fu Panda 2 a few days ago and absolutely loved it. It's better than the first movie in my opinion. The animation was gorgeous and the voices for the characters were absolutely spot on and it's very funny.

Two nights ago, I watched My Soul To Take considering I love Wes Craven movies and all it did was make me wonder what on Earth I watched. I couldn't decide whether it took off A Nightmare on Elm Street or Scream, there were so many elements from both movies.

Yesterday, I saw Priest which is ridiculous but fun. It was very stylish but just utterly stupid.

Harry Potter 5.

I didn't realise how not good these movies are until recently. :p

Lord Of The Rings Fellowship Of The Ring.

Excellence. I hadn't seen it in ages and first time I've ever watched it on DVD. :o

Watched Red Riding Hood. Was pretty dire. I did enjoy how Gary Oldman's solution to every problem was to kill someone.

Also watched Paul. It was amazing. Everyone watch it.

Harry Potter 5.

I didn't realise how not good these movies are until recently. :p

Lord Of The Rings Fellowship Of The Ring.

Excellence. I hadn't seen it in ages and first time I've ever watched it on DVD. :o

This makes me cry a little inside! :p

I think I'm going to watch Role Models and Zoolander tonight. I recorded them from TV the other day considering I found both of them funny so I'll probably be watching those...although I'm in a horror mood...

Yeah seems a tad harsh to post that under your signature. :p

I still enjoy them. :) The first makes me laugh so much and I do feel the first part of the seventh one is good. I am looking forward to the finale but I didn't realise compared to the books how lame they are. really.

I used to love the 3rd one watched it back recently and it doesn't work.

I have awful commitment issues with movies. I feel like unless i'm with somebody I rewatch stuff I have seen already. Anyone else feel like this ? :)

Also watched Paul. It was amazing. Everyone watch it.

You must read Invincible now.

Watched Goodfellas last night.

So awesome.

Also the amount of people I spotted who later appear in The Sopranos was insane.

(I later did a bit of digging and found there are 25 people who are in both.)