NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I just watched Monsters with my sister and her boyfriend. All three of us really enjoyed it and... well, that's about all I want to say given we went in with no expectations and were really impressed. I thoroughly recommend it.

The only other thing I'll mention is that it's a bit of a misnomer, unless you want to inject the title with your own meaning: it's about a journey, the titular creatures are more of a backdrop.

Watched Prince of Persia last night. A quick glance online shows me it was panned by the critics but I thought it was pretty good. Gemma Arterton was looking very nice especially.

So having bought a Coen Brothers boxset recently, I set about watching The Hudsucker Proxy today.

I really enjoyed it. The idea was pretty interesting, the script carried it out well and the characters were very entertaining. Plenty of odd little touches here and there that seems to be the Coen Brothers hallmark. It wasn't nearly as good as Fargo I thought, but very enjoyable none the less. I also loved the acting throughout, especially Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance.

The whole hula hoop revelation was great as well. I was pretty pleased with myself for figuring it would happen

:heh:

Nothing groundbreaking but I'd recommend it. 7.5/Yay for numbers.

Hudsucker Proxy was probably the first Coen film I saw - holds a dear place in my heart :) Did you get the set with four films or so?

Hudsucker Proxy was probably the first Coen film I saw - holds a dear place in my heart :) Did you get the set with four films or so?

It has seven films, all for a fairly reasonable £12. I've never seen any of them before either, making it quite the bargain. Although it is lacking Fargo, No Country For Old Men and Raising Arizona - though the latter of those is the only one I haven't seen.

the-coen-brothers-dvd-collection-box-set-1264774739.png

The Expendables

Just got around to watching it, thought the movie was ok but nothing special. Gotta say though, two of the team kind of felt like extras they were so underused. Also there was some dodgy cgi in places and at least two weird moments where bits were sped up to show how cool they were, but it just looked like the camera was being sped up.

The story felt a bit forced as well. I know people were just going in expecting an all out action movie but a lot of the ones in the 80s were like that yet still awesome.

Also as much as I love Stallone, he really shouldnt run in his movies anymore, it just looked a bit rediculous.

It has seven films, all for a fairly reasonable £12. I've never seen any of them before either, making it quite the bargain. Although it is lacking Fargo, No Country For Old Men and Raising Arizona - though the latter of those is the only one I haven't seen.

the-coen-brothers-dvd-collection-box-set-1264774739.png

A Coen boxset without those films is a bit tragic, really.

My boxset has (from memory) blood simple, big lebowski, barton fink, hudsucker proxy. I've got miller's crossing sitting here waiting to be watched. I've not seen probably 3 other movies of theirs, which is pretty bad.

A Coen boxset without those films is a bit tragic, really.

There's been a few different boxsets...this one just happened to be there and on offer. Plus I already have Fargo and No Country so it works out well.

Agree with the general sentiment though.

Edgier presentation than the original - lisbeth's character seems to be mega-down-played.

... But a gritty trailer nonetheless!

I love too fast to see what's going on. A good trailer.

I'm sure they're do the inevitable 3 minute "Telling the entire story in the trailer" trailer nearer the time.

TBF having read the books it was clear which bits were which. Good fan-service, I thought.

So I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and thought the first half was literally the best out of all of the Pirate movies and the second half was the worst out of all of the Pirate movies.

I also saw Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure for the lolz and to complete my review collection of the HSM series and, as you may have guessed, was absolutely shit but Ashley Tisdale still looks hot.

Watched Kung Fu Panda again and adored it, I'm looking forward to seeing the second one and I plan on watching all of the X-Men and The Hangover.I also plan on watching 300, which I have never seen before but my friends have told me to see it straight away.

-----

In other news, I have very bad news for everybody. Seltzer and Friedburg are making yet another spoof LITERALLY called The Biggest Movie Of All Time 3D which is basically taking the piss out of Avatar and is also going to be down in film history as the first parody movie to be shot in 3D. Epic facepalms ahead!

Dazz, you can just tell everyone you like those spoof films. It's ok. You were bourn that wey.

Dazz, you can just tell everyone you like those spoof films. It's ok. You were bourn that wey.

I know I can. I don't care if people take the piss out of me for what I like and hate, I have admitted to liking Glee and High School Musical in the past for crying out loud, but I literally do hate what these bastards have done to spoof movies and it irritates me how they make money from taking the piss out of somebody else's work and doing it so rubbishly (is that a word? Whatever, I'm totally using it!).

It's just not funny and they've sucked the fun out of parody movies and have influenced others to make equally shite ones too. Parodies hasn't been funny since Scary Movie 4 (I just like Brenda).

Bring back the days when spoofs were funny such as Airplane and Naked Gun!

Today I watched Black Swan.

It was meh/10.

Mila Kunis is so hot though!

Really? What did you find meh?

Also, TOTALLY agree about Mila Kunis!

It was good dont get me wrong! But after everyone hyping it up I felt like it was one big let down!

Same thing happened with kickass and superbad and pretty much every film i watch thats meant to be "good".

Oh ok. I was ready to toss you into a mirror for a minute there.

That's why you watch them the night they come out, and don't watch trailers. So shit doesn't impinge on your vision.

Thing is i never had any intention of ever watching it. Just took a random notion tonight when I was in xtravision lol. All I knew was that there was a kissing scene and it was about ballet. :heh: Facebook is a bad bad bad thing when it comes to movies. :nono:

The Biggest Movie Of All Time 3D which is basically taking the piss out of Avatar and is also going to be down in film history as the first parody movie to be shot in 3D. Epic facepalms ahead!

Hmmm. The title is reasonably amusing, and the prospect of spoofing 3D could actually be good (blatant lol bits) but yes. Shit.

It's just not funny and they've sucked the fun out of parody movies and have influenced others to make equally shite ones too. Parodies hasn't been funny since Scary Movie 4 (I just like Brenda).

Bring back the days when spoofs were funny such as Airplane and Naked Gun!

Ah, its so true. A real shame. Why don't classics like Not Another Teen Movie appear nowadays? It can't be that hard.