NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

When I tell you I'm so fucking excited that I feel like bursting in tears...I'm not exaggerating!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beast said:

When I tell you I'm so fucking excited that I feel like bursting in tears...I'm not exaggerating!

Yeah I can't wait!

Edited by Helmsly

Took a flexi day on Friday and went to the cinema without wife or toddler to enjoy Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

I’m glad that they completely disregarded the 2016 film. I’m also very happy with their respectful acknowledgment of Harold Ramis. The final 15 minutes got me good.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 1:15 AM, Murr said:

Took a flexi day on Friday and went to the cinema without wife or toddler to enjoy Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

I’m glad that they completely disregarded the 2016 film. I’m also very happy with their respectful acknowledgment of Harold Ramis. The final 15 minutes got me good.

I'm seeing it tonight! It'll be my second time going to the cinemas this year because I've been a bit shaky but my friend is going with me, which is good. I have been dying to see this movie for years and I've heard absolutely nothing but good things from everyone (apart from RT critics but then they highly rated Ghostbusters 2016 so they know absolutely nothing, lmao).

• Thanks 1

Went to see Dune a week or so ago and was pleasantly surprised. Wasn't expecting much (thought the book was ok, but nothing more), but was blown away by the atmosphere of the whole thing. Some of the cinematography + Hans Zimmer was just so mesmerising, I've been buzzing to see it again ever since.

• Like 1

Watched Ghostbusters Afterlife and it was phenomenal. I absolutely loved it. I already went in with high expectations and they exceeded them. I loved the story, the characters, the locations...everything! The last 20 minutes was worth the ticket price alone. I'm actually planning on watching it again but this is definitely the 2nd best Ghostbusters film (nothing can beat 1984)!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Can't they just let Jurassic Park die? Does anyone even like them anymore?

It did die. Then it got resurrected. It's like you've not watched the film at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

So did anybody see the new RE movie? :hehe:

Is it out in the UK?! 

Not quite Marvel so will put it here: First trailer for Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse Part one (!!) released:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Not quite Marvel so will put it here: First trailer for Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse Part one (!!) released:

I'm genuinely confused. How do you mean by "not quite Marvel"? I'd have thought it would've been because it's Spiderman? 

Also, I'm excited for this film! 

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

I'm genuinely confused. How do you mean by "not quite Marvel"? I'd have thought it would've been because it's Spiderman? 

Also, I'm excited for this film! 

I think he means not part of the MCU? 

As someone who's not seen any of the Spiderman films, I'm blown away by how many there are these days. And some are canon MCU but others aren't? And something about lots of Spidermen all joining together in the latest ones? It's all very confusing :laughing:

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

As someone who's not seen any of the Spiderman films, I'm blown away by how many there are these days. And some are canon MCU but others aren't? And something about lots of Spidermen all joining together in the latest ones? It's all very confusing :laughing:

I believe the three different live action films series are unrelated although rumours suggest the latest Holland film will unite them through a multiverse thing. The Holland (current) trilogy is MCU, others aren't as they were made by Sony.

The Spider-Verse films are based around the idea of a multiverse and brings spider-men-women-and-pigs from multiple universes. These are not MCU canon as it's also Sony.

• Thanks 1

Thanks that helps. It feels like A LOT of Spiderman, but if people enjoy it ::shrug:

I guess that Across the Spider-verse is connected to the Miles Morales 'Into the Spider-verse' film. And Miles hasn't been in MCU yet I take it.

Yeah Across is the sequel to Into. 

And yeah there's been 7 live action films (plus cameos in some others), 2 venom films and thus far one animated film. Another live action film soon (this month?) and Across is out next October. 

I've seen the first two Toby films, both Garfield films and an hour of the first Holland film before getting bored. Spider-Verse was great though; visually very interesting and a fun story. Plus Lily Tomlin as Aunt May.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The Holland (current) trilogy is MCU, others aren't as they were made by Sony.

I mean, technically Holland's films are a joint production between Marvel and Columbia (Sony), and Sony still distribute, as Sony still own the movie rights to Spider-Man. This is why we get very tense and public standoffs over contracts, such as when a little while back Sony seemingly wanted to not re-up and take the character back out of the MCU.

Obviously they came to the decision that this was a stupid idea, but still. 

24 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It feels like A LOT of Spiderman, but if people enjoy it ::shrug:

It's a weird one. Potential studio and IP monopolisation, like the Disney purchase of Fox, is scary, but before the purchase, we were seeing a stupid amount of Fox-owned Marvel properties get shows, films, etc. 

This has been the same with Sony and the Spider-Man films. They've been trying to get a Sinister Six film up and running for as long as I can remember, and naturally want a piece of the superhero movie pie, which is why we've seen standalone spin-off films like Venom and the upcoming Morbius. Well, kind of spin-off. That's complicated too. 

So yeah, how much it is people enjoying it vs Sony wanting to make money...the circle of life for movie studios I guess ::shrug:

22 minutes ago, Ashley said:

And yeah there's been 7 live action films

I don't remember it being any good (at all), but there was also a Japanese Spider-Man movie made back in the 70's which I had growing up on VHS, think I got it a school fayre. Apparently there were two of them (one theatrical and one made-for-television?), and I have no idea which one it was that I watched, but I would not recommend it from what I can remember :laughing: 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I mean, technically Holland's films are a joint production between Marvel and Columbia (Sony), and Sony still distribute, as Sony still own the movie rights to Spider-Man. This is why we get very tense and public standoffs over contracts, such as when a little while back Sony seemingly wanted to not re-up and take the character back out of the MCU.

I don't remember it being any good (at all), but there was also a Japanese Spider-Man movie made back in the 70's which I had growing up on VHS, think I got it a school fayre. Apparently there were two of them (one theatrical and one made-for-television?), and I have no idea which one it was that I watched, but I would not recommend it from what I can remember :laughing: 

Oh yeah I know it's joint, was just being brief due to laziness/phone posting 😋

And i don't think anyone would recommend those Japanese films!

• Like 1

I went into “Into the Spiderverse” blind and was thoroughly entertained. Loved the visual style. This is looking more of the same. 

Yeah I went mostly to kill some time while home over the holidays and really enjoyed it. It was so unique and full of charm.