NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I loved it so much. HATED 2016 for numerous reasons but for me, as a massive fan of Ghostbusters, this really hit the mark and got me excited. 

Love the fact that that could be Egon's granddaughter and how she has the same kind of hairstyle and glasses. How she finds his collection of spores, moulds and funguses and the suit...guys, the SUIT! The proton pack and Shandor was mentioned briefly too. Paul Rudd with the ghost trap and the ECTO-1...just so much YES that I can't contain my excitement!

I'm also wondering if the house in the trailer is actually Ray's childhood home that he mentioned in 1984 when Venkman tells him everybody has three mortgages. Maybe they bought it back? 

Also, the leg of the terror dog on Paul Rudd's car and Egon's granddaughter (as she will now be called until proof) using the PKE meter.

I felt like it was kind of keeping the tone of the originals but also had the feeling that it was paying respects more than saying "hey guys, here's a reboot to make money". I think people actually listened. Looking at it as well, it looks like it can even follow on after the Video Game (which I still call Ghostbusters 3). I'm just happy that they didn't link the monstrosity of 2016 to it. 

SUMMER 2020 needs to be here NOW! 

Edited by Animal
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Animal said:

I loved it so much. HATED 2016 for numerous reasons but for me, as a massive fan of Ghostbusters, this really hit the mark and got me excited. 

Love the fact that that could be Egon's granddaughter and how she has the same kind of hairstyle and glasses. How she finds his collection of spores, moulds and funguses and the suit...guys, the SUIT! The proton pack and Shandor was mentioned briefly too. Paul Rudd with the ghost trap and the ECTO-1...just so much YES that I can't contain my excitement!

I'm also wondering if the house in the trailer is actually Ray's childhood home that he mentioned in 1984 when Venkman tells him everybody has three mortgages. Maybe they bought it back? 

Also, the leg of the terror dog on Paul Rudd's car and Egon's granddaughter (as she will now be called until proof) using the PKE meter.

I felt like it was kind of keeping the tone of the originals but also had the feeling that it was paying respects more than saying "hey guys, here's a reboot to make money". I think people actually listened. Looking at it as well, it looks like it can even follow on after the Video Game (which I still call Ghostbusters 3). I'm just happy that they didn't link the monstrosity of 2016 to it. 

SUMMER 2020 needs to be here NOW! 

Just watched it again with my friend and I noticed the symmetrical book stacking! Man, I'm seriously excited for this! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Animal said:

Just watched it again with my friend and I noticed the symmetrical book stacking! Man, I'm seriously excited for this! 

I noticed that too. I watched through it a bunch of times and noticed something else really obscure:

Spoiler

In this scene, you can see a red shaped thing in the foreground, obscuring the lower part of this character:

QflMdE9.png

I reconised it as this red/orange console thing that gets taken off them in the first movie:

nQmtZVi.png

It seems Jason reitman posted an image of this device on his instragram account during the summer when making the movie:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByGBSwjpxzo/

I think I may have watched Ghostbusters a few to many times as a kid...

I agree with everything you said in the post before. I loved the trailer. Especially the subtle use of the original score as they play Venkmans "Call it fate, call it luck..." line being played. I honestly can't wait.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

Has anybody here seen Ad Astra? I watched it last night and, while I'm all for slow paced introspective sci-fi, the film was just a whole lot of nothing. The dialogue is pretty awful and the characters are mostly blank and robotic, I didn't feel any emotional connection to Pitt's character at all - every plot beat was just over the top and absurd. The visuals weren't even that impressive, the whole thing was disappointing on so many levels. 

Has anybody here seen Ad Astra? I watched it last night and, while I'm all for slow paced introspective sci-fi, the film was just a whole lot of nothing. The dialogue is pretty awful and the characters are mostly blank and robotic, I didn't feel any emotional connection to Pitt's character at all - every plot beat was just over the top and absurd. The visuals weren't even that impressive, the whole thing was disappointing on so many levels. 
I have not, but i was close to dragging my wife to see it at the cinema. Glad i didn't now, as that sounds like something she would hate that i would have gotten the blame for.

Watched Marriage Story the other day while pottering about and doing other things and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. 

• Thanks 1

Was going to mention that too, I watched it on Saturday night and thought it was pretty good. It was a difficult watch at times, seeing two decent people led down an awkward path by their lawyers, but Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson were both great. The little boy was probably the stand out performance though.

The trailer for Christopher Nolan's next film, TENET, came out yesterday.

Unsurprisingly, it looks great. This is an IMAX film for sure :D

Wow, great trailer! Looks promising though it's still a complete mystery what is going on.

Now I see why they went to Denmark to record some of the movie. Windmills...

Just got back from seeing Cats. Wow.

How the hell did that do 30 years at the West end? The songs are just awful.

I thought i was going to see a good musical ruined by shit CGI, but it ended up being pretty good CGI ruined by a shit musical.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Happenstance said:

This looks awesome! Also love the creepy Destiny's Child track in the background. 

No Time To Die has been delayed from April to November (12th in the UK, and 25th in the US). 

Kudos to those who agreed to the move, especially after tickets had already gone on sale in some places. For anyone wondering, some Bond fan clubs sent an open letter requesting a delay few days back, as the coronavirus outbreak's number of cases is currently projected to peak at the end of March/start of April (the original timeframe for premiere and general release).

Peoples' health should always come before financial gain. Sure, the audience might have been reduced as a result of the outbreak at that time, but even if it's a move which serves both them and the audience, that's still a win in my books.

Now, if only we would see some governments in the West take some actions a bit more seriously in line with this to help prevent the continuing spread of COVID-19, then that would be great. 

16 minutes ago, Julius said:

Kudos to those who agreed to the move,

[..]

Peoples' health should always come before financial gain.

Hate to tell you this, but financial gain (or to be precise, not missing out on potential ticket sales) is the reason they delayed this. :p

17 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Hate to tell you this, but financial gain (or to be precise, not missing out on potential ticket sales) is the reason they delayed this. :p

I know :p

Peoples' health should always come before financial gain. Sure, the audience might have been reduced as a result of the outbreak at that time, but even if it's a move which serves both them and the audience, that's still a win in my books.

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Ok let me put it this way.. It's the only reason. :p

Just let me be optimistic about people having other people's best interests at heart! :p

Edited by Julius
  • Weird 1

Someone posted a theory on Reddit that the plot of the film features some sort of pandemic, and they delayed it to avoid complaints or something.

understandably, a whole bunch of Sony movies that were due this summer have been moved to 2021:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/morbius-ghostbusters-afterlife-uncharted-pushed-back-2021-sony-1203549616/

Jason Reitman’s “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” has moved from July 10, 2020, to March 5, 2021; Jared Leto’s “Morbius” has been pushed back from July 31, 2020, to March 19, 2021; Tom Holland-starring video game adaptation “Uncharted” went from March 5, 2021, to Oct. 8, 2021; and “Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway” moved from Aug. 7, 2020, to Jan. 15, 2021. An untitled Sony/Marvel movie was also delayed from an original Oct. 8, 2021 date and is now undated.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Sad 1

I wonder what has been delayed more, Uncharted or New Mutants.

Crazy to move from a July 2020 date to a March 2021 date. 
Why are those moves crazy in particular?

2 hours ago, bob said:
3 hours ago, MindFreak said:
Crazy to move from a July 2020 date to a March 2021 date. 

Why are those moves crazy in particular?

I'd just expect the movies to be moved a couple of months forward, not 8 months. Especially since - I think - they are almost done with them and just need to release them.