NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

1 hour ago, Beast said:

1984 > Afterlife > Frozen Empire > GB2 > 2016

I couldn't get away with Afterlife and came away disappointed by it. It just felt like a retread of first movie. Also, I hated what they done with Egon's character and his relationship with the other OG Ghostbusters. 

Watched a couple more movies over the past couple of days.

Creed III - Due to Stallone not being in this one, I wasn't too fussed about giving it a watch but I'm glad I did because I loved it. Majors done a fantastic part of being the antagonist and the final boxing fight was really well done. Training montage was a bit weak though which was a shame as I always love watching them. 

When Harry Met Sally - Loved this one. Given how much I enjoy Rom Coms/Chick Flicks, it's surprising that I've never seen this before. Billy Crystal is absolutely hilarious in it, although I'm on the side that doesn't agree with him about men and women being friends. I forgot how attractive Meg Ryan was before she ruined herself with all of the cosmetic surgery. It was nice to see Carrie Fisher in a decent sized role. It was rare to see her in big movies after Star Wars.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Majors done a fantastic part of being the antagonist

Helps when there's no acting involved :laughing:

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

the final boxing fight was really well done.

It really was. Michael B. Jordan directed this one and he's talked about being a fan of anime before - for this particular fight he said he wanted to convey similar emotions and energy to an anime fight, and I think it really shows! Definitely feels unique in the world of fighting films. 

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Training montage was a bit weak though which was a shame as I always love watching them. 

Aye, peaked with the first film for me and it feels like they've been trying to claw back to that greatness ever since. 

Still a banger of a track for it, mind :D

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

When Harry Met Sally

e4c073ca-13fa-425b-863c-a2d4d18a89d4_tex

Love that film :laughing: real shame Rom-Coms have generally gone the way of the dodo or are straight-to-subscription service schlock, it's most of what my parents brought me up on :cry:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

e4c073ca-13fa-425b-863c-a2d4d18a89d4_tex

Love that film :laughing: real shame Rom-Coms have generally gone the way of the dodo or are straight-to-subscription service schlock, it's most of what my parents brought me up on :cry:

Loved that scene. :laughing:

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I couldn't get away with Afterlife and came away disappointed by it. It just felt like a retread of first movie. Also, I hated what they done with Egon's character and his relationship with the other OG Ghostbusters.

Yeah this is my problem with Afterlife as well. I don't think they did a good job explaining why the other Ghostbusters would not believe Egon that Gozer is returning. Why would they doubt him? And once he done a runner to Oklahoma with all their gear and the car etc wouldn't at least one of them have come up to investigate?

Other stuff like the Egon we knew in the first movies seemed like a very sensible straight laced if socially award scientist. Afterlife shows him to have lived like a slob, be a collectamaniac who horded everything and had a daughter he never mentioned all during the first two movies.

Despite that I still enjoy Afterlife, but I think they could have done a lot better to get to that ending

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Yeah this is my problem with Afterlife as well. I don't think they did a good job explaining why the other Ghostbusters would not believe Egon that Gozer is returning. Why would they doubt him? And once he done a runner to Oklahoma with all their gear and the car etc wouldn't at least one of them have come up to investigate?

Other stuff like the the Egon we knew in the first movies seemed like a very sensible straight laced if socially award scientist. Afterlife shows him to have lived like a slob, be a collectamaniac who horded everything and had a daughter he never mentioned all during the first two movies.

Despite that I still enjoy Afterlifes, but I think they could have done a lot better to get to that ending

Exactly. 

Sat and watched a few more movies over the weekend.

Expendables - The fourth movie is hitting Prime soon and so I figured I would give the others a rewatch. The first one is great because this was when Stallone wanted to make an OTT action movie and didn't care about the age ratings. Terry Crews' shotgun alone should have earned an 18 rating.  As the series went on, the violence got toned down, as did the age rating. :(

Always loved the speech Mickey Rourke's character gives.

Olympus Has Fallen - I never did watch the final film in the trilogy and so I decided to start from the beginning and to through them all. Good action flick and pretty brutal at times. Gerrard Butler isn't that awful in it either. 

White House Down - Naturally I would go from the last film to this. Crazy when stuff like this happens in Hollywood. It's like when Deep Impact and Armageddon were released around the same time.

I enjoyed this much more than Olympus has Fallen. It's more of a buddy action movie, with Fox and Tatum playing off of each other quite well. The scene with them driving the limo in front of the White House, all the while rockets being fired at that was hilarious, purely because of how ludicrous it is. :D

I'm getting through my sixties DVDs, etc.

I'm currently watching Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, starring Christopher Lee.