NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Finished watching Tenet.

What a mess. I had heard that it wasn't very good, but i thought that Nolan might have still put together a good action film, but it's really all over the place. It's so far up it's own arse, that you have no idea what's going on at any point. All the action scenes are just too confusing, and all the dialogue isn't much better.

The worst part is when they try to reveal a twist near the end with a wink and a nod, but you're sat there like - don't wink at me, I have no idea what just happened.

I blame the lack of Zimmer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bob said:

Finished watching Tenet.

What a mess. I had heard that it wasn't very good, but i thought that Nolan might have still put together a good action film, but it's really all over the place. It's so far up it's own arse, that you have no idea what's going on at any point. All the action scenes are just too confusing, and all the dialogue isn't much better.

The worst part is when they try to reveal a twist near the end with a wink and a nod, but you're sat there like - don't wink at me, I have no idea what just happened.

Yep, couldn't agree more. It's got some interesting set-pieces and concepts, but for a few years now I've viewed Nolan as being to film what Kojima is to games: he's really interested leaning into doing things only possible in the medium he's working in, and, like Kojima, can occasionally take things too far when there's no-one else in the room. And at this point there isn't, so a biopic like Oppenheimer should (I hope) rein him in a little bit. 

It's a strange question, but how did you got on with the sound/volume of the film? Rewatching Nolan films the last few years - and this was PAINFULLY apparent when I watched Tenet, which I did at home because, y'know, COVID - I've started to take note of how often I have to reach for the remote to put the volume up or down, sometimes even in the same scene! 

It's crazy to me that someone so invested in film and film history has absolutely zero interest in making his films suitable for anything other than an IMAX format. Which is stupid when 99% of the people who will ever watch his films will be doing so from the comfort of their own homes ::shrug:

28 minutes ago, bob said:

I blame the lack of Zimmer.

In fairness, they got Ludwig Gorannson (Creed, Black Panther, Mando) in to replace him, but of all of Nolan's films, this did feel like the first since Inception which was really screaming for Zimmer's BWOOOOOOOOOOMPing drones. 

I still find it a little funny that Zimmer chose Dune over Tenet (the right move, his score for the film is stupidly good and it's something he's said he's wanted to do since he first read the book) because at the time they were planning on releasing them pretty close together, but because of COVID, Nolan forced Tenet's release through anyways and Dune didn't release for another year or so after that, so he very well could have done both!

You know, if he were a psychic or something :p

It's a strange question, but how did you got on with the sound/volume of the film? Rewatching Nolan films the last few years - and this was PAINFULLY apparent when I watched Tenet, which I did at home because, y'know, COVID - I've started to take note of how often I have to reach for the remote to put the volume up or down, sometimes even in the same scene! 
It's crazy to me that someone so invested in film and film history has absolutely zero interest in making his films suitable for anything other than an IMAX format. Which is stupid when 99% of the people who will ever watch his films will be doing so from the comfort of their own homes ::shrug:

I watched it the way it was supposed to be watched - on my phone, balanced on the window sill while I did the washing up, with the subtitles on.

I didn't notice any issues with the sound, but I'm not sure that I would have? I certainly didn't have any problems hearing what everyone was saying, unlike Bane in Batman where he was genuinely unintelligible. Maybe they adjusted the sound mixing when they put it on Amazon Prime?
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Went to see Creed III having rewatched the first and second these past evenings. Sad to report that my fears were realised in that this latest outing just lacks the heart and soul of the previous Creed and Rocky films. :( 

Best part about it was seeing a preview for the Mario Movie among the trailers. Looked cool on the big screen! I barely even glanced at Mario and the characters as there's so much to look at in the background. :cool: 

Not a massive fan of the Turtles voices (even though they probably make more sense for teenagers) but the animation style seems cool.

My brother showed me this. I'm not a huge turles fan, but this looks cool! Reminds me a bit of Spider-man's artstyle.

I watched Scream 6 over the weekend. Very easily my second favourite Scream movie. I was surprised at how great it was. It wasn't just gore and kills (although they were brutal) but the character development and story was actually quite strong too. I'd love to see this in 4DX. 

The legendary Ryuichi Sakamoto, best known for his Oscar/Grammy/Bafta trio-winning score for 1987's The Last Emperor, and other great scores in award-winning films such as Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence and The Revenant, has sadly passed away at the age of 71 :(

RIP.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence is one of the most emotive pieces of film scores for me, and I can still remember the very first time I listened to it. Incredibly heavy and melancholic, but also wistful and purposeful. Well worth a listen if you've got the 4 minutes or so to spare:

The trailer for that Gran Turismo film is out:

That From GAMER to RACER tagline makes me want to die

Is that really based on a true story? Seems like one big advert for Sony and the game to me. Looks terrible.

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

Is that really based on a true story? Seems like one big advert for Sony and the game to me. Looks terrible.

It is indeed a true story https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2014/apr/07/video-gaming-jann-mardenborough-motor-racing

The trailer does come across as a bit of a cringey Playstation advert, but it's a cool concept for a movie nonetheless.

The Tetris movie ended up being pretty dang good, so the concept can certainly translate well to cinema.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

I watched Dungeons and Dragons Honour Among Feeves yesterday.

I've never played it before, so I know there will be some references I missed, I recognised a few place names, especially Baldur's Gate. And a great homage to the cartoon gang.

I went in with zero expectations, so wasn't disappointed. It wasn't all that bad, generic fantasy action/adventure movie.

22 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It is indeed a true story https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2014/apr/07/video-gaming-jann-mardenborough-motor-racing

The trailer does come across as a bit of a cringey Playstation advert, but it's a cool concept for a movie nonetheless.

Cheers, noticed the article was from 2014 so decided to do a quick search on the guy. Seems like he's not had a very successful career in racing but has done a lot of different disciplines. Still not sure on the film itself but who knows it may be worth a look if I'm bored.

Watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse yesterday. It was totally awesome. It had less superhero action than expected but had a way more heavy and interesting story than the first. Can really recommend it, even though it's very long. 

I need to re-watch the first, though, it's been a while. 

• Like 1

Spider-man was fucking packed, holy shit. I've only seen the first trailer, so was unaware of most what was coming, I didn't even know who the villain would be.

It takes it time to set up an actual story, unlike most super hero films. There's some actual good drama between all the action, and the facial expressions and voice acting are terrific. I'm in love with his mom haha. Then there's plenty of comedy, with a lot of it parodies of general comic and spider-man stuff. Sometimes it even feels like a satire.. They

redid the meme

and get away with it.. Things get absurd at times, in a good way! It's also packed with fan-service, plenty of cameos. The visuals are fantastic. Every single screen is a colour explosion. Often there's so much happening you don't even know what to look at.. I think I've seen only a quarter of the film. The villain (of the week) is great. He starts of as a (funny) joke, but then becomes a proper threat. Their first fight is a great example of their quality animation too, where you don't know where t look (Portal fans will appreciate this scene). Then there are some cool twists at the end. My only gripe with the film is that it's a 2-parter, and it ends with a cliffhanger, another thing I was totally unaware of.. But if this is the warm-up, we're in for a treat with the finale. Hats off to the writers for combining the absurd with the serious in such an excellent way. This is the best Super Hero film of 2023.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

Another Dune: Part Two trailer:

(also, agree with all the above Across the Spider-Verse love. Been to see it twice, loved it twice)

Spider-verse was incredible. Can't wait for it to come to a streaming service near me, so that I can watch it again.