NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

There's also a trailer, @Ike. And it's looking like a pretty decent follow up to the first. :cool: 

Oh, thanks. Think I'll skip it though and just wait to watch the movie at this point.

I've just seen my first Studio Ghibli movie after having only gotten in contact with that studio via Ni No Kuni.
So what's the movie I saw? Apparently the most popular one: Spirited Away.

What a beautiful movie. :bowdown: 

It was fantastical but weirdly believable. There's just something there that resonated with me the entire time. I can't put my finger on it, but yeah...that's how I feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

I've just seen my first Studio Ghibli movie after having only gotten in contact with that studio via Ni No Kuni.
So what's the movie I saw? Apparently the most popular one: Spirited Away.

What a beautiful movie. :bowdown: 

It was fantastical but weirdly believable. There's just something there that resonated with me the entire time. I can't put my finger on it, but yeah...that's how I feel.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952adf81c97426830fcf

Hell yeah! Happy you watched and enjoyed it :D

Spirited Away is amazing, and probably one of the best Ghibli films to start with, given its near universal praise. I think the simplest way to put it is that it just oozes heart and charm, but is so unique in its weird and wacky ways and characters, that I think it's hard to come away not endeared to some of its elements, especially given some of the sharp contrasts in warm and cosy visuals with the serenity of the train scene. And I still think having your work scored by Joe Hisaishi is tantamount to cheating, and Spirited Away's soundtrack is no exception -- it's beautiful. 

It's funny, because I remember I first watched the film on holiday at this old lady's place that my aunt cared for when I was much younger (probably 6 or so?), and I just didn't get on with it. Looking back I think it was a combination of Yubaba's creepy face and transformations, as well as the Kashira (rolling head dudes). It's just such a different vibe and energy to a lot of western animation, I think I was a bit taken aback by it in hindsight! 

So, @drahkon...which one you watching next? :p

• Thanks 1

Cool, I've recently (re)watched Spirited Away as my girlfriend hadn't seen it yet and loved it, although it gets a bit stretched out towards the end I feel. But the whole first half is amazing. As they are on Netflix we're watching a Ghibli when in the mood, so far we've seen My Neighbor Totoro (first time seeing it) and Howl's Moving Castle (second time for me). I think Princess Mononoke will be next.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anything interesting happen at the Oscars last night? 

Just skimmed the winners and haven't seen Coda... ::shrug: 

37 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Anything interesting happen at the Oscars last night? 

Well there was Will Smith going full Kanye by hitting Chris Rock followed by a very unhinged award speech, proving yet again that if you're big enough in Hollywood then there aren't any repercussions for your actions ::shrug:

(bet the producers were laughing to the bank though)

I probably should have made it clear I was being sarcastic 😆

I'm amazed Will Smith didn't get chucked out. I get that they won't have wanted to, especially given his upcoming award later in the night but it really reflects much worse on them for not chucking out a person who assaulted someone, no matter who it was.

I do think Chris Rock was a dick for the joke though.

I first found out about all this because I follow a tech/gaming reviewer/dev on twitter who just happens to also be a Will Smith and has the @willsmith account. He was having an interesting night 😆

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I probably should have made it clear I was being sarcastic 😆

Nor was I. :p I saw Coda on the winners' list but meant I haven't seen the film.

Le Famille Bélier was pretty decent so I take it this version is too, although it seems like a classic Oscars misdirect since all the talk I saw seemed to be around Belfast, The Power of the Dog and to a lesser extent Don't Look Up, with Coda appearing to be there just to make up the numbers. Maybe that says more about the info I'm exposed to. ::shrug: 

Dune did great, as deserved. At first glance earlier, Cruella getting best costume design seemed a bit of a weird one, however now I think about it, I do recall Kermode (must have been as I don't check very many other film reviews) commenting on what she wears in that so maybe it's a fair shout. 

As for Will Smith... that must have been planned... doesn't it look fake to anyone else? I need a different angle on it...

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

As for Will Smith... that must have been planned... doesn't it look fake to anyone else? I need a different angle on it...

See, I thought the same actually...until he got back to his seat and started shouting obscenities in a completely silent audience. It went from "oh hey it's a bit" to "uh what the hell is going on?" real fast. You also see Chris Rock stop himself from firing back once Will gets back to his seat, which, you know, would've been easily done given Jada's infidelity and whatnot. 

It did look a bit like an "acting" slap but maybe that's just how Will Smith does it now after so many years. As Julius said the part afterwards definitely felt real.

With it being such a long walk up to Chris Rock I do wonder if he regretted getting up at any point but felt like he was beyond the point of no return 😆

He wasn't really landing those punches in Ali so probably doesn't know any better. :laughing: It's a while now since he was fending for himself in West Philadelphia.

Their whole life and marriage is just a product for clicks and attention so I'm leaning towards this being manufactured until I know otherwise. That includes the shouting from his seat--they gave him best actor after all. 

Yeah, violence is one thing, but if it was a bit, there was absolutely no way they would've allowed him to drop constant F-Bombs afterwards. American broadcasters do not condone live swearing, at all.

Apparently, a lot of other actors came up with flimsy excuses afterwards for how they didn't see anything to avoid having to talk to interviewers about it.

39 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

He wasn't really landing those punches in Ali so probably doesn't know any better. :laughing: It's a while now since he was fending for himself in West Philadelphia.

Their whole life and marriage is just a product for clicks and attention so I'm leaning towards this being manufactured until I know otherwise. That includes the shouting from his seat--they gave him best actor after all. 

If he ends up staying in Bel-Air after this with his aunt and uncle then I might agree that it was staged :p 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

The part that doesn't make sense to me is that you'd commit assault before screaming obscenities or shutting him down from his seat. A simple "hey asshole, that's not cool!" would have sufficed when it came to defending his wife, and if anything he could have talked to Rock after (I also think the joke was in poor taste, should've been checked with Will and Jada first, but didn't at all deserve the response it got and wasn't nearly as offensive as it's been made out to be – Demi Moore was a badass in G.I. Jane? But I can also understand the insecurity about losing hair, and the joke had very little to do with film), but instead he committed assault and went off on an unhinged acceptance speech which I don't think he should have been in the room to give in the first place. I also feel like the old adage of "any press is good press" applies less and less with how widespread social media is now and how easy it is to voice your opinions, so even if it was some sort of stunt for attention, I do think it's hurt him.

His actions and acceptance speech words don't add up, so even if it was staged, I think it's set a terrible example for viewers on how to handle insults, showed how effective gaslighting is, and showed off for all to see just what Hollywood privilege is. Oh, plus the whole Scientology thing. 

Dude needs help. 

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Apparently, a lot of other actors came up with flimsy excuses afterwards for how they didn't see anything to avoid having to talk to interviewers about it.

Probably because they would have been one of the many in the audience to give him a standing ovation after his acceptance speech. Same folks blissfully ignored everything going on with Harvey Weinstein for years, and some pretended to be shocked when Ricky Gervais was joking about it at the Golden Globes a few years back. The Oscars are less and less about the films these days, unfortunately (I mean, there's no award for editing anymore, which is kind of insane!), and more and more about the privileged crowd in attendance. It's gross. 

The worst part about all of this for me is that the rest of the show was completely overlooked again, drawing attention to a rich guy being an absolute buffoon ahead of films people have poured years of their life into. That it's ended up being a leading story ahead of an ongoing war in Ukraine on a lot of radio stations and in a good number of newspapers, too, is outright disgusting.

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

If he ends up staying in Bel-Air after this with his aunt and uncle then I might agree that it was staged :p 

Yo, happs, smell ya later!

All the Times Jazz Was Literally Thrown Out of the Fresh ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great, now I want to play Sonic Adventure again. Might have to add that to my Steam Deck list.

My brother brought this to my attention. I hadn't heard of it before.

• Like 1

I just wanted to mention that The Northman is my favourite film of this year so far. It's pretty epic. And a bit bloody.

To not cause further confusion between Avatar and Avatar, the subtitle for the new Avatar was announced yesterday at Cinema Con as being 'The Way of Water', where some new footage was also shown off:

The trailer for the film will be attached to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness exclusively for one week before it is released online.