NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I can do both?

You could, but you wanted something Italian, and Luca, in my opinion, isn't.

10 hours ago, Sméagol said:

You could, but you wanted something Italian, and Luca, in my opinion, isn't.

Oh yeah I wasn't going for it thinking it would benefit my Italian learning, just the vibe of it is like a fake getaway. Cheers for the recommendation, I'll check it out. 

Even after watching the trailer i'm still not sure what to think of the new Matrix film, I hope it's good though. 

I really didn't like Reloaded or Revolutions but I've developed quite a fondness for the Wachowski's in recent years (thanks to their work on Cloud Atlas and Sense8) so I have faith this sequel/reboot will turn out well I'll just reserve judgement on it until I can actually watch it

It looks a bit more back to basics which is nice, after the OTT Reloaded and Revolutions.

My only worry at the moment is from that trailer it feels like what the Force Awakens was to A New Hope…

• Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, Happenstance said:

My only worry at the moment is from that trailer it feels like what the Force Awakens was to A New Hope…

I said exactly the same thing to everyone. The use of White Rabbit was awesome though! 

I'm going to see Malignant today in the cinemas. It's the first time this year I'd be going. I've bailed out of the cinemas for months and I've been dying to go but I'm definitely going today! 

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2021 at 6:12 PM, killthenet said:

Even after watching the trailer i'm still not sure what to think of the new Matrix film, I hope it's good though. 

I really didn't like Reloaded or Revolutions but I've developed quite a fondness for the Wachowski's in recent years (thanks to their work on Cloud Atlas and Sense8) so I have faith this sequel/reboot will turn out well I'll just reserve judgement on it until I can actually watch it

Have they revealed how they've brought him back? I thought he died at the end of Revolutions, or are they saying he's a "new" one from when they rebooted everything, but seems to have shades of his previous powers (as it seems Trinity does as well)

24 minutes ago, Julius said:

Final trailer for Dune:

These next two weeks are going to be long! 

Wut? Why? Isn't it out yet in the UK?

Despite the (earlier) trailer not making me enthousiastic (despite being a Denis Villeneuve fan), I thought the film was fantastic, and I may go see it a 2nd time.

One point against it though, is that it's clearly a part one. The climax of the film isn't a super interesting event to end the film on, and leaves you with wanting more. Another thing I thought could be better, was I wanted to see more of the politics. I thought they really glanced over some things that could do a bit more explaining, and googled them afterwards to get some references from the book. Also not a fan of the shield effect. But.. The atmosphere and worldbuilding are amazing. I loved the hopeless feeling of the battle, and the very creepy vibe of House Harkonnen. Looking forward to part two.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Wut? Why? Isn't it out yet in the UK?

Don't get me started, it's not out in the US yet either. For something they want to push as the next Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, seeing the staggered release has been really bizarre; I know it's getting a HBO Max release in the US simultaneously, but I really think there's something to be said for the zeitgeist at a film's release which opens up this black hole that many people can get sucked into, but yeah, COVID and all that. I believe the staggered international release was talked about near the start of the year, so I imagine it was in large part going off the restrictions in place and the plans each territory had moving forwards at the time ::shrug:

It's funny though, I thought it was bad for us, but I even read that Australia don't get it until December? 

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

One point against it though, is that it's clearly a part one. The climax of the film isn't a super interesting event to end the film on, and leaves you with wanting more. Another thing I thought could be better, was I wanted to see more of the politics. I thought they really glanced over some things that could do a bit more explaining, and googled them afterwards to get some references from the book. Also not a fan of the shield effect. But.. The atmosphere and worldbuilding are amazing. I loved the hopeless feeling of the battle, and the very creepy vibe of House Harkonnen. Looking forward to part two.

It's been a few years since I read the book, so I'm thinking of blasting through it again next week, but yeah, this was my main concern going into the film (that it would feel like a part one and not necessarily have a natural stopping point? Because I can't remember one from the book), and I've seen it reflected elsewhere in what I've glanced over of the reviews. Does really make me wish that they'd given it the full backing and the Infinity War-Endgame/Avatar sequels/LOTR treatment of shooting the parts back-to-back, because now there's a hunger for the sequel and...it's at least two years away under the most ideal of conditions, but with COVID being what it is I think there are a lot of question marks over when it'll come. It's nice to know that it's since seen success and has a more noticeable backing now, though. 

Think that was the other concern I had too, what you mention about the politics, as the book does a lot of heavy lifting in the worldbuilding and exposition that I think would be hard to squeeze into a film. 

You've made me more excited to see it at least! :p out of curiosity, what did you think of the soundtrack? I love my film scores, and I think everyone loves some Hans Zimmer, so when it came out that he wasn't doing Tenet due to his commitments to Dune, my expectations for the soundtrack skyrocketed! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

out of curiosity, what did you think of the soundtrack? I love my film scores, and I think everyone loves some Hans Zimmer, so when it came out that he wasn't doing Tenet due to his commitments to Dune, my expectations for the soundtrack skyrocketed! 

I ehh.. can't specifically recall the soundtrack. :p

I think I liked it, but yeah, can't specifically remember any of it. That said, like I said I loved the atmosphere, and the music probably played a part in that too.

Oh and to mention one more thing, cast is great. Timmy Chammely never made a huge impression on me, but he popped up in some films I've seen. This is the first film where I thought he was really suited for the role. Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson are great. Stellan Skarsgård and Charlotte Rampling excellent though they're not seen much in the film. Zendaya barely plays a part in this film, neither does Javier Bardem.

Have fun when you finally get to wacth it, and I'll try to pay attention to the score more if I go see it a 2nd time.

• Thanks 1

Some of the visuals in that look amazing but it still looks like a little kid pretending to be Nathan Drake with a lot less personality.

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Uncharted prequel

Goes on to steal story threads, scene composition, events and costumers from across the games (rough examples: the black tie event and brother storyline from 4, the outfit from 1, the scene of Nate hanging somehow managing to melt together the opening of 2 and the plane scene from 3). 

I wasn't confident going in anyways, but damn, this is how you really put me off. It seems really, really desperate to throw scenes and threads very directly from different games together into a prequel movie which is now even hard to consider a prequel? 

Avi Arad producing and very little - if any - involvement from Naughty Dog based on what I can find kind of spells out why that's the case I guess. 

Where's Sully? There's someone pretending to be him, but he doesn't have the most important aspect of Sully: the moustache. So it must be an imposter. Or perhaps they're going to do a Sonic the Hedgehog and tease the "correct design" at the end of the film?

Also, supposedly the woman in the trailer is Chloe (she definitely doesn't have the charisma of Claudia Black that is required to make the character work).

I think it looks like a fun action movie but then again, I like Tom Holland, and I the Uncharted-series is uncharted to me. Haven't played any of the games and don't know anything about them.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good. Kind of looks like Tomb Raider, but with a male Lara Croft.

Holy shit Dune was good. Everything I hoped it would be when I heard Villeneuve signed on to direct - bold, impactful, atmospheric. Everyone turned up with their A game. Can’t wait for part 2

Legendary and WB have confirmed that Dune - Part Two is aiming at an October 2023 release, and Deadline is saying that it's specifically going to have a slated release date of 20th October 2023. What's more, it will be a theatrical exclusive release. 

Not much of a surprise given the buzz, how some of the WB and Legendary higher-ups have hinted at this the last few weeks, and most of all Josh Brolin pretty openly saying they were gearing up to start filming next summer. 

May the spice flow :peace:

• Like 1