NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Because it's based on a manga. Pretty sure I remember Robert Rodriguez, who ended up directing the film, saying James Cameron (it was a passion project of his, he ended up producing) wanted photorealistic manga eyes. 
Which is silly, because I agree, it does look creepy :laughing:
But why doesn't anyone else have manga eyes?

It was just really off-putting.

The rest of the film was ok though. I wish it had been more complete though, rather than leaving such an open ending.

3 minutes ago, bob said:

But why doesn't anyone else have manga eyes?

It was just really off-putting.

The rest of the film was ok though. I wish it had been more complete though, rather than leaving such an open ending.

Pretty sure they'd try to explain it with what she is (in the film) contextually, and in terms of a technical feat it's pretty cool, but I agree that it was creepy, and I think it was a bad decision. 

I think they kind of missed the point of why drawn characters often end up with such big eyes: it's for expression, which makes their work somewhat easier, as they don't need to then overcompensate by expressing emotions through the character's face. There are no such limitations when it comes to film, just zoom on into the eyes and face if you need to, or get an actor that can deliver what you want. 

So yeah, I get why James Cameron of all people wanted it...but it was silly :p

I got used to the eyes very quickly myself. Didn't bother me past that initial introduction.

The eyes were incredibly off-putting, and made no sense in the context of the film, apart from being a misplaced "tribute" to the source material. An incredible shame, as the actress herself is super hot.

Anyway, this appears to be from the director of Grave / Raw, which I loved, so I'll be checking this out. It won the Palm d'Or at Cannes yesterday. I ehh, I guess the trailer falls under "NSFW".

3 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer:

Can't wait to see that. Think it's looking very promising.

53 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

That looks AMAZING!!!

I don't know man, the last film left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. Not sure I'm inclined to give them another chance. Plus what the fuck is up with those Playstation controllers at the end? 

13 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I don't know man, the last film left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. Not sure I'm inclined to give them another chance. Plus what the fuck is up with those Playstation controllers at the end? 

You didn't enjoy Ghostbusters II? :cheeky::grin:

18 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I've seen this about 10 times already! I have been waiting over 25 years for this, when 6 year old me practically watched the two films all of the time, and my body is entirely ready for this one right now. Now THIS feels like a Ghostbusters movie! I honestly cried a little bit because Ghostbusters means a lot to me, which was why I got so annoyed with 2016. It just didn't feel like a Ghostbusters film but more of a slapstick mess with no rhyme or reason behind anything. I watched Ghostbusters 1984 in the cinemas before everything went to shit for it's 35th anniversary as it was something I always wanted to experience and it was glorious. I'd have loved a double-feature but I was glad to see my favourite film on the big screen and I'm just as excited to see this.

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

I prefer the Statue of Liberty over the tall, sailor, marshmallow man. :D

It's a bit sad to see the twin towers showing up in famous films, due to what happened back in 2001. But we will never forget! 

20 hours ago, Beast said:

You didn't enjoy Ghostbusters II? :cheeky::grin:

I've seen this about 10 times already! I have been waiting over 25 years for this, when 6 year old me practically watched the two films all of the time, and my body is entirely ready for this one right now. Now THIS feels like a Ghostbusters movie! I honestly cried a little bit because Ghostbusters means a lot to me, which was why I got so annoyed with 2016. It just didn't feel like a Ghostbusters film but more of a slapstick mess with no rhyme or reason behind anything. I watched Ghostbusters 1984 in the cinemas before everything went to shit for it's 35th anniversary as it was something I always wanted to experience and it was glorious. I'd have loved a double-feature but I was glad to see my favourite film on the big screen and I'm just as excited to see this.

Very similar to yourself, I also went and saw Ghostbusters in the cinema for the 35th anniversary. I think its the last film I saw that way before Covid happened. I was too young to see the first film in the cinema back in 1984 but I remember seeing it on TV on Boxing day in 1987 and being obsessed with the movie, the cartoon and the toys ever since. I've wanted a third film since seeing the sequel back in 1989 and its amazing to me that it's actually happening now.

• Like 2

Technically, Ghostbusters was a number one film in both 1984 and 2020. Last year, when most cinemas were closed because of Covid, the movie was very successful in the drive-in theaters. 

That's a very rare feat... :cheeky:

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching Luca on Disney+.

It's pretty good. Thankfully it doesn't suffer from the Pixar Misery Bug, as it's quite lighthearted all the way through. The one thing that irritated me about it was the way they would throw in all these italian words into the dialogue with a ridiculously over the top faux italian accent. "Santa Mozzerella!" I don't know why, but I found it really grating.

Of the recent Pixar offerings, I would say that Onward is better, but this one is definitely better than Soul.

I saw Luca a month ago or something. I absolutely hated it. Didn't care for the story or characters, and absolutely hated all the stereotypical stuff. Characters were too hyperactive while the story made no sense at all, and every minute there was some example of "let's inappropriately throw something Italian in here". Absolute shit.

• Like 1

Tell us what you really thought of it @Sméagol

• Weird 1

I need to watch Luca (first I need to sign up to Disney+ in fairness) as it seems like it's going to be closest I get to Italy for a while. 

And I did say "sante parole" in a meeting earlier so I'll stay schtum about that criticism. 

I saw it a few weeks ago. It's alright but pretty forgettable. I enjoyed it because it was very colourful and light but it gets much weaker towards the ending. 

On 09/08/2021 at 12:58 PM, Ashley said:

I need to watch Luca (first I need to sign up to Disney+ in fairness) as it seems like it's going to be closest I get to Italy for a while. 

And I did say "sante parole" in a meeting earlier so I'll stay schtum about that criticism. 

Instead, you should watch L'Amica Geniale if you haven't already. A Belgian network is showing reruns tonight,and it reminded me I should get season 2 from somewhere,

• Like 1