NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Everyone knows the word "Rosebud" and how it's said, the "plothole" that nobody could have heard it (but that's actually just a fancy camera angle to signify how alone he was, not actually a plot hole).

But I have no clue what Rosebud is. I didn't even know it was something"everyone" knew.

It's like, one of the most famous movie plot twists in all of movie history!

There's a page on TV Tropes that discusses plot twists that are such common knowledge, that they're not really surprised anymore. And it's titled after what Rosebud is. (Specifically, it's named after the Family Guy joke about Rosebud)

Quote from that site.

A Twist Ending that used to be guarded carefully as a Spoiler, but thanks to Popcultural Osmosis, everyone within the target demographic knows the ending already, even those who haven't even seen the show. It's probably never going to surprise anyone again. In many cases, the twist becomes the central fact known even to those only noddingly familiar with the work, and other adaptations take it as read from the beginning

As someone who watches their fair share of older films, watches a lot of films, and cares about film history, I'm weirdly also one of the people who can't remember what Rosebud is. Though to be fair, I haven't seen Citizen Kane as far I can recall either, and if I have it would have been when I was much younger, so there might be some sort of bias there. I have no doubt I've heard about the meaning of Rosebud at some point in the past, but I just don't think it's permeated my memory. The funny thing is though, I know I've seen that clapping scene, so I have no idea now if I have or haven't seen the film :laughing:

I think a large part of that is probably exposure to these "known twists" like Vader and what happens in FF VII. I can't name one person in my life who would be in a position to even bring up Citizen Kane to me in conversation! Whereas I truly think that Vader is inescapable - I knew it before I even first watched Star Wars, and that was when I was very young. Everyone I know - and their mothers - knows what that twist is. Star Wars and Vader are on the level that characters like Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man have been for nearly four and a half decades now. 

Compare that to say the events in Final Fantasy VII, and I think it's only inescapable if you're drawn to that corner of gaming in particular or go out of your way to seek more information on the history of gaming (I know I've got a few books on my shelves for instance which point explicitly explain what happens and what the fallout of that was). I play Final Fantasy games and have an interest in JRPG's and the history of gaming, and have played VII, but before I played VII, I honestly didn't know that happened. And while Final Fantasy is obviously massive for gaming history, given the recent history of the franchise and how sporadic mainline releases have become, I wouldn't be surprised at all if most modern gamers had no idea about that twist - I know for a fact many of my friends wouldn't. 

It does make me start to wonder about how many twists in film and other media are on that "No, I am your father" level, though. I think that given the size of the audience of the MCU, certain events in Infinity War and Endgame seem inescapable, but will they still be that way decades from now?

Edited by Julius

I also still haven't seen it, but don't have any access to it.

I'm also blissfully unaware of the meaning of Rosebuf though.

54 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

OK, I'm calling you three out.

@Julius @Cube @MindFreak, watch Citizen Kane.

It's on the BBC iPlayer right now. It's a good movie.

I may get around to it at some point, but there are loads of "must see" films I need to see. I don't actually have access to iPlayer either, subscription is quite expensive based on what I watch.

I don't consider Rosebud to be a twist personally. It's a driver in the internal narrative of the film sure, and something that glues the film together, but not something I'd consider particularly twisty. 

Good film though, worth watching. 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I don't consider Rosebud to be a twist personally. It's a driver in the internal narrative of the film sure, and something that glues the film together, but not something I'd consider particularly twisty. 

Good film though, worth watching. 

By modern day standards, sure. But in 1941, I can imagine that kind of thing was just unheard of. Most movie plots were relatively straightforward, so I can totally see why it became so famous.

I was going to say Psycho had a bigger twist but that was released 19 years later so maybe you have a point.

9 hours ago, bob said:
22 hours ago, MindFreak said:
I don't know what Rosebud means except that it's a cheat code for infinite money in The Sims. 
I also have no clue about who dies in FFVII. Is that the one that has Cloud in it? And Sephiroth? 

Do...do you know who Luke Skywalker's father is?

Luke who?

14 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Luke who?

Ok, yeah. He's having a laugh with us at this point.

Throwing my name into those that don’t know what rosebud is and also who dies is that final fantasy game. 😝 Neither have ever been on my radar to take notice. 
However I do know who Lukes father was, it was Yoda right? :D

• Haha 1

Watched Big Hero 6 yesterday. Probably for the 5th time.

I adore this movie. :D
Also one of the very few movies that I prefer with German dubbing.

Baymax.webp

I love him.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Another Creed film is in the works. But get this: Sylvester Stallone won't be back. :( 

I'm not surprised. Creed 2 says it all. I heard Drago might be getting a movie/series too. Is this the Rocky universe about to try and shake up the MCU for the amount of movies? 😂 

• Like 1

This looks cool, though it's not available over here.. But it should be on Amazon Prime UK.

Edited by Sméagol

What do you think of The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

That's three films in a row that got to number one at the cinemas in the United States, over the course of a month.

Clearly, there's no hiding from what is scary! :laughing:

On 6/10/2021 at 10:20 PM, CrowingJoe79 said:

What do you think of The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

That's three films in a row that got to number one at the cinemas in the United States, over the course of a month.

Clearly, there's no hiding from what is scary! :laughing:

I enjoy them. I really liked it BUT it's the weakest out of the three.

The Nun is awful though. It was about 90 minutes of nothingness. 

Been watching a few films while I sterilise bottles in the evening. Each one as the director intended - in 20 minute chunks on a phone screen balanced above the kitchen sink.

The Meg

This was surprisingly good. I thought it was going to be absolute trash, similar to Sharknado, but actually it turned out to a pretty good 'giant animal movie'. Obviously it's no Jaws, but it pushes all the right buttons most of the time.  

Oceans 8

I knew this had pretty bad reviews, but I wondered how bad could it be. I enjoyed the other 3 Oceans films, even if they had been getting steadily worse. This one, was just dull. Really boring. The main issue is that the heist goes off without any problems whatsoever. There are no roadbumps to it at all. Woman gets out of prison. Woman decides to steal necklace. Woman gathers a team. Team steals necklace. The end. 

This film was excellent. The whole gimmick (and it is a bit gimmicky) of appearing to be filmed in one camera shot was fantastic, and i think it really added to the feeling of tension throughout the whole film. It's really weird in that when watching it, there are a few moments when you keep expecting a cut to arrive, and then it just doesn't. For example there's one point where a character is dragging a dead body, and your brain goes 'oh, there'll be a cut' and he'll be just finishing off burying the body, and then off they'll go, because it's such a common trope for films where they obviously don't want to show someone digging a grave for an hour. But here, that thought popped into my head, and then I realised that no, that probably won't happen. It can't happen. So what are they going to do? It's bizarre how our brains are so used to edits and cuts in films that we come to expect them, even though in real life, obviously they don't exist.

• Like 1

Watched Alita: Battle Angel. It actually was much better than I was expecting, right up until the point it ends before the story is resolved. Crap ending.

Also, why are her eyes so big? Looks very creepy.

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Also, why are her eyes so big? Looks very creepy.

Because it's based on a manga. Pretty sure I remember Robert Rodriguez, who ended up directing the film, saying James Cameron (it was a passion project of his, he ended up producing) wanted photorealistic manga eyes. 

Which is silly, because I agree, it does look creepy :laughing: