NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

That actually looks pretty fun. I've never played Monster Hunter, but i'm assuming it shares nothing but the name. I can see how you would be pissed if you were a fan of the games, but I think I would enjoy a fun monster film like that. Just hope it's not all just set in a desert, looks a bit drab.

• Like 1

Watched The Gentlemen the other day.

The_Gentlemen_poster.jpg

I wanted to see this when it came out, but didn't get the chance. Just based on the cast, it looked really good, but i didn't know anything else about it. I guess I should have worked out it was a Guy Richie film.

Anyway, it's pretty enjoyable if you like GR films; gangstas with silly names, odd characters,  endings with crosses, double-crosses, triple-crosses, quadruple-crosses etc. It's no Snatch, but it's quite enjoyable.

Okay, but why does it look so bad? 

Also, new definitive cut by Coppola of The Godfather Part III:

Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of The Godfather: Part III, director/screenwriter Francis Ford Coppola brings a definitive new edit and restoration of the final film in his epic Godfather trilogy—Mario Puzo’s THE GODFATHER, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. Michael Corleone (Al Pacino), now in his 60s, seeks to free his family from crime and find a suitable successor to his empire. That successor could be fiery Vincent (Andy Garcia)... but he may also be the spark that turns Michael's hope of business legitimacy into an inferno of mob violence. The film’s meticulously restored picture and sound, under the supervision of American Zoetrope and Paramount Pictures, includes a new beginning and ending, as well as changes to scenes, shots, and music cues. The resulting project reflects author Mario Puzo and Coppola’s original intentions of The Godfather: Part III, and delivers, in the words of Coppola, “a more appropriate conclusion to The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II.”’

Love the first two, but the third is definitely a big step down. Very much looking forward to this! 

Edited by Julius

Watched Ashens and the Polybius Heist. Really fun heist film. It doesn't feel like a "YouTuber film" or rely on references to the channel for jokes, instead the comedy is self contained and I would recommend it to anyone who likes British humour, even if they don't know Ashens.

11 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Has anybody seen Freaky yet? 

Hopefully in the next few days.Not going to make it tonight probably, but I'm looking forward to it.

For those not familiar with it, it's a horror comedy.

On 29/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, bob said:

Is it a reboot?

It is not as far as I'm aware. Same cast (or at least some of them).

HBO Max will come to Europe later in 2021. Hopefully, it will also show the new movies over here as well.

The Warner Bros distribution stuff is interesting, it might just convince me to get HBO for a month when Matrix 4 comes out. I’ll probably wait for it to be on iTunes though.

On 29/11/2020 at 6:58 AM, CrowingJoe79 said:

Has anybody seen Freaky yet? 

And to get to back to this.. I found it disappointing. I mean, it was ok, but definitely doesn't live up to its potential. Typical case of "most of the good stuff is already in the trailers". One plot hole, and only 1 cool, but very quick death, and one funny scene that's not in the trailer.

• Like 1

Well, Freaky will be required for my #1 horror movies collection regardless, since it actually topped the North American box office about a month ago. :heh:

I thought Freaky was a lot of fun. But I also categorically don't watch trailers, so everything except the premise was a surprise to me.

First trailer for Coming 2 America, out March 5th on Amazon Prime:

From that small teaser, looks like they've still got it. Or at least, the Barbershop bits will still have it. Looking forward to seeing it next year.

Started watching Asian anime film "Blame" the other day. It had gotten pretty good IMDb rating but I actually had to turn it off after just a while cuz the film really made no sense at all to be. Maybe you have to be more experienced with animation as a whole to grasp?

On 22/12/2020 at 9:06 PM, Gew said:

Started watching Asian anime film "Blame" the other day. It had gotten pretty good IMDb rating but I actually had to turn it off after just a while cuz the film really made no sense at all to be. Maybe you have to be more experienced with animation as a whole to grasp? emoji2368.png

Some anime, or films in general, can be like that. I also wouldn't put too much value in IMDB scores.

My favourite films of 2020

And what a pathetic list it is. I mean, I like all these films, but it would have looked different if I've seen the usual number of films.

Deerskin

Jojo Rabbit

The whistlers

First Love

Detention

Special Actors

The Wild Goose Lake

Bacurau

Seven Day War

And my favourite film of 2020:

L'Extraordinaire Voyage de Marona

###

Worst film I've seen in 2020:

Which films are part of the same continuity? I think I missed almost all of them.

Quick heads-up, the film festival I go to every year is.. digital as expected. But that means it's easier for people outside The Netherlands to enjoy some films. I mean, I'm pretty sure you can buy tickets for normal streams, though I think they restricted the "live" screenings to Dutch people. Festival starts first of February.

https://iffr.com/en

A digital festival isn't getting me excited, so I'm not going to spend 300 euros on tickets like I usually do, but I'm definitely going to watch a few. Two films that caught my eye are:

Edited by Sméagol