NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

On 03/08/2020 at 10:02 PM, Ashley said:

I do want to watch that but Disney seems to forget people outside America exists when it comes to Hulu.

Disney's international steaming business is becoming a major clusterfuck if it isn't already. Disney+ has been shit so far. Hulu still doesn't officialy exist here. Now they're adding something called "star" to the mix.. And these are all separate subscriptions. No thanks.

Anyway, this doesn't necessarily mean they have the international rights, but they probably do. I don't want to wait a year for this film, if my only option is going to be Hulu. Hope it will make its way into cinemas regardless, even if it's just a festival.

Something else. New Charlie Kaufman. Don't need to wait long, don't need another subscription.

I love Jessie Buckley!

Edited by Sméagol

Having heard (and loved) the main song countless times on Radio 2, I finally watched The Greatest Showman. Absolutely loved it. There was some less than perfect singing and CG in places, but overall a really beautiful film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Goafer said:

Having heard (and loved) the main song countless times on Radio 2, I finally watched The Greatest Showman. Absolutely loved it. There was some less than perfect singing and CG in places, but overall a really beautiful film.

It's ironic because everybody loves This is Me but I think Never Enough is far superior and should have a lot more air-time than it did. Obviously, This is Me is an anthem but there's just something about Never Enough that gives me goosebumps. 

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

It's ironic because everybody loves This is Me but I think Never Enough is far superior and should have a lot more air-time than it did. Obviously, This is Me is an anthem but there's just something about Never Enough that gives me goosebumps. 

Never Enough is the song we play for our fat guinea pig because any food that we give him is exactly that.

• Haha 1

On 03/08/2020 at 6:46 PM, Sméagol said:

I re-watched Groundhog Day recently and it's almost painful to see this. I understand that you can't stop other people from copying an idea, but "waking up everyday in the same place no matter what you do the day before" is kinda like someone making a film about "rich person builds a dinosaur park with DNA from mosquitos and it all goes wrong for a group of visitors".

Shameful.

I'll probably watch it, and love it.

Must not see it. Must resist! 

Got my tickets booked for next Sunday evening. Excuted to finally go to the cinema again and very much looking forward to seeing the movie. 

Edited by MindFreak

Finally watched Parasite. I think it helped I had a vague but not-very-detailed idea of what the plot is.

Film is ridiculously well shot though, such a great piece of cinematography. 

• Thanks 1

This looks.... insanely good, tbh! As trailers go, I think they really, really nailed it, and vampire sparkly boi seems to do a really good job. So far I am really excited for the movie :D Oh and I love the suit!

I'm loving the tone of that trailer. It has the right sort of a look of a film-noir or crime thriller, so we'll see what the dialogue and story is like. They're the bits that will make or break this film. 

I fully expect Pattinson to nail the character. He's developed into a great actor. Loved him in The Lighthouse, which was weird as hell, btw.

I'm really not a fan of anything DC post Nolan, with the exception of Joker, and even that was incredibly overrated imo. I just don't think they've gotten the tone right, and everything they make ends up feeling confused and designed by committee. So not particularly bothered about this new Batman neither. 

Seeing Tenet tomorrow night though, hyped for that. 

Just watched Simulation Theory by Muse.

Love it :D It's a Muse concert with even more special effects. The audio mix is astounding. But that's expected when it comes to Muse.

• Like 2

I need to post in here more as I've watched some much recently but haven't put my thoughts down anywhere.

Last Friday night we watched The Peanut Butter Falcon and honestly I think it was one of my favourite films of the last few years. I actually haven't seen Shia LaBeouf in anything other than the first Transformers movie so I was pretty intrigued to see if he could actually act. I thought both he and Zack Gottsagan were brilliant, and the script was pretty solid overall. It's one of those films where not much happens but a film like this is all about the bond between the two leads and it certainly excelled in that sense.

Oh, and Mick Foley making an appearance? Man, that brought a huge smile to my face. Highly recommended to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The cinemas are finally back open! Alas I've mostly seen old films there like Back to the Future and Karate Kid which are both some of my all time faves so was nice to see them on the big screen. 

I also used this re-run period to fill in some shocking gaps of my pop culture history - like Lord of the Rings! I've only ever seen random clips and memes, when the first came out I was a bit too young to want to sit through a 3 hour film and then following that I just felt I'd missed the train. So yeah, I saw 1 and 2 extrended last weekend and had a great time, though the first one felt a bit meaty with the insane amount of characters, locations and lore to soak up - Despite being nearly 4 hours it still felt a bit rushed.

Because of work and series fatigue (two extended LOTR films in 2 days is a bit much lol) we didn't get around to see the third in cinema but we're gonna rectify that by watching it at mine on Saturday, I'm sure I can pick it up cheap on DVD or Blu-Ray. 

I saw Onward for the second time (after first seeing it in March) and had even more fun watching it a second time - Given its odd premise and terrible launch window by coming out just before the pandemic I think this will become a hidden gem. 

Finally I saw an actual new film at the cinemas a few days ago - Baby Teeth. A film about a 16 year old high school student falling for a 23 year old drug addict (uh oh!) but it was fantastic, surprisingly full with a lot of heart and all the characters had a lot of depth. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

I saw Onward for the second time (after first seeing it in March) and had even more fun watching it a second time - Given its odd premise and terrible launch window by coming out just before the pandemic I think this will become a hidden gem.

Onward made me bawl my eyes out, which seems to be my main measurement for how good I think a movie is.

I went on ResetEra afterwards to see what people thought of the movie, and half the people in the thread were calling it one of Pixar's worst. I was so annoyed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there anyone who wants a Tenet review? Big Nolan fan here.
Will it be spoiler free?

As we were discussing recently it seems more films are launching online at the same time as the cinema. I just got the new Bill and Ted via iTunes and very excited to watch it later tonight. For $25 that’s a way better deal than going to the cinema - will absolutely do this for anything else going forward. Makes me want to upgrade my setup.

20 hours ago, bob said:
20 hours ago, LazyBoy said:
Is there anyone who wants a Tenet review? Big Nolan fan here.

Will it be spoiler free?

Ofcourse. 

Off the bat I'll say this is my least favourite Nolan movie. It's not a bad film - it's packed full of great elements that you'd expect of the Director - thrilling set pieces, superb performances, a banging soundtrack and great visuals. 

But much like The Dark Knight Returns, it's feels like he's packed too much in, with a story that moves way too fast, is insufficiently explained and poorly communicated to the audience. None of us who saw it perfectly understood the set up going into the final scene - not helped that the audio mixing on the dialogue is very poor at times just like TDKR - and so a lot of the tension was lost. 

The point often levelled against Nolan is a lack of emotional engagement in his characters. But where as he proved that he has got it in his locker in Interstellar, this may go down as the worst example of those emotional elements being missing. 

In many ways this film doesn't care, and the more I think about it the less this feels like some kind of shot at glory, and more just another action film. Maybe he needs to try a different kind of film next time out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Ofcourse. 

Off the bat I'll say this is my least favourite Nolan movie. It's not a bad film - it's packed full of great elements that you'd expect of the Director - thrilling set pieces, superb performances, a banging soundtrack and great visuals. 

But much like The Dark Knight Returns, it's feels like he's packed too much in, with a story that moves way too fast, is insufficiently explained and poorly communicated to the audience. None of us who saw it perfectly understood the set up going into the final scene - not helped that the audio mixing on the dialogue is very poor at times just like TDKR - and so a lot of the tension was lost. 

The point often levelled against Nolan is a lack of emotional engagement in his characters. But where as he proved that he has got it in his locker in Interstellar, this may go down as the worst example of those emotional elements being missing. 

In many ways this film doesn't care, and the more I think about it the less this feels like some kind of shot at glory, and more just another action film. Maybe he needs to try a different kind of film next time out. 

Very spot on to my own view on the movie. I didn't care for the characters, and yeah, the mechanics were not explained very well. It was postulated as a movie that would require you to really think but I think it was fairly straightforward.

Watched Bill and Ted Face the Music last night. I still stand by my opinion of it didn’t need to be made, but it was surprisingly quite a welcome addition to the series.

The addition of Anthony Carrigan to the cast was a stroke of genius. He’s fantastic as NoHo Hank in Barry.

6/10

18 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

I still stand by my opinion of it didn’t need to be made

I think that's less of an opinion and more STATING THE BLEEDING OBVIOUS.

These films that come out years after originals that have already completely closed the story are always a little bit interesting in how they handle things.

Spoiler

For me, the ending and general setting in the universe was fine, and if it hadn’t been completely obvious from the start what the ending was going to be I’d have quite enjoyed it. But the stuff Bill & Ted were up to completely made no sense in light of the film having an end point before what the future versions of themselves were up to. That being said it’s not really a serious film so it shouldn’t matter, but it does annoy me when they break the rules they’ve laid out like that.

Overall I quite enjoyed it. Definitely up for more films being launched directly on iTunes too.

So I completely missed the new trailer for No Time To Die, so sharing it in case anyone else did too :laughing:

Looks great, honestly been such a long year I forgot this was even managing to come out in November! Feel like they might have shown a little too much, though. 

Looks cool :cool: 

I have only ever seen the first Daniel Craig Bond movie. My best friend (the one who pushed me to watch the Harry Potter movies) was again very disappointed in me :D I might ask her if she wants to watch 'em all with me. Will probably get a resounding "yes", since she finds Mr. Craig very handsome (and I don't blame her).

Edited by drahkon