NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

On 22/05/2020 at 2:39 PM, gaggle64 said:

I watched The Red Turtle last night and when it finished I cried for a solid 20 minutes or so. The superlatives do not exist to give this movie justice. A trailer doesn't communicate what it's worth. It is a work of art and a genuine masterpiece. I think I might be changed as a person and I absolutely did not go in expecting to be affected the way I was.

Saw this at the theatre last year, was raving about it for ages but couldn't find someone else who had seen it. Stunningly, stunningly beautiful. I too lost it at the end. 

• Like 1

I watched the Sonic The Hedgehog movie yesterday. It was great! I’m honestly quite shocked at how good it was. I’d say it’s easily the best video game movie and I actually want to watch a follow up to it - I hope it happens. 

I also loved the SEGA intro they used for it (the Paramount part is pretty cool too):

I don’t get why they’re not using this for everything instead of that stupid eye thing.

So when the cinemas reopen is anyone planning on actually going back? Given that some are playing classic movies (I think Empire Strikes Back is getting a run?) I would be tempted but even without the pandemic cinemas always feel stuffy and like I could catch something at any minute so I don't think I can bring myself to sit in one for 2 hours just yet.

The only film I want to watch this year is Tenet. Desperate to watch it. But, I feel very dubious about going into a cinema at the moment. If they give the option to stream that film at home (they won't) then I would much rather take that up. I was originally looking at watching this in the IMAX and going for a big screen experience, but it doesn't seem quite right given everything that has been going on. I can't tell if I'm just being over cautious or sensible. 

We agreed a while ago that we’d pretty much give up on the cinema. It’s SO expensive here and honestly a horrible experience that I don’t mind waiting a few months then buying things on iTunes to watch in the comfort of home. I might go to the cinema if it was something I REALLY wanted to see, but I doubt that will happen more than once or twice a year going forward.

3 minutes ago, will' said:

We agreed a while ago that we’d pretty much give up on the cinema. It’s SO expensive here and honestly a horrible experience that I don’t mind waiting a few months then buying things on iTunes to watch in the comfort of home. I might go to the cinema if it was something I REALLY wanted to see, but I doubt that will happen more than once or twice a year going forward.

I do feel that the cinema isn't as great an experience as it used to be, especially with the fact now that larger tvs in the household are much more commonplace. We haven't got an impressive sound system, but there are many who do. Plus, you factor in the overpriced snacks, which means that most people sneak in their own stuff anyway. The loooooooooooong adverts before the film, the people wandering in and out, the glare off other people's phones, the rustling sounds of bags...
We go fairly often because we get free tickets through health/life insurance and other perks, so we're lucky in that respect. If we didn't, I doubt we'd go anywhere near as much.

I totally get what you mean! It’s understandable that you’d go if you’re given the tickets, I think I would too in that case.

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

If they give the option to stream that film at home (they won't) then I would much rather take that up.

I think this is an interesting thing. I wonder if companies will start releasing things to the home market on a different schedule? If it cost £30 (for example) to do a day one rental of a film I really wanted to see I’d be very tempted.

I still tend to go see the big blockbuster movies at the cinema (probably mostly Marvel ones at this point) but other than those I tend to wait until a blu ray or streaming release.

Cinema prices are pretty ridiculous but my local Vue is actually only £7.50 which seems like a bargain these days, for London anyway. Trouble is popcorn starts at £6 :blank:.

There's nothing I'm desperate to see on the horizon anyway, whenever there's a new Star Wars film I'll certainly go and watch but things like Top Gun 2 I'll just wait till they release it on bluray or whatever. (I usually roll my eyes at pointless cash grabs like that and the new Bill and Ted, but I loved the original so much lol)

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Cinema prices are pretty ridiculous but my local Vue is actually only £7.50 which seems like a bargain these days, for London anyway. Trouble is popcorn starts at £6 :blank:.

There's nothing I'm desperate to see on the horizon anyway, whenever there's a new Star Wars film I'll certainly go and watch but things like Top Gun 2 I'll just wait till they release it on bluray or whatever. (I usually roll my eyes at pointless cash grabs like that and the new Bill and Ted, but I loved the original so much lol)

WTF! My Vue is only a fiver and you can bring your own food and drinks in too. 

I'm dying to go back! I really am! Out of the whole lockdown, this is the one thing I've been missing so much. However, I'm not going to go back just yet!

These prices are crazy, here it’s more like £15 for the worst seat at the worst cinema.

35 minutes ago, Beast said:

WTF! My Vue is only a fiver and you can bring your own food and drinks in too. 

I'm dying to go back! I really am! Out of the whole lockdown, this is the one thing I've been missing so much. However, I'm not going to go back just yet!

Oh I bring my own food in too, but £7.50 for a London Vue is a pretty good price I think. Most other cinemas here are £14-£24

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Oh I bring my own food in too, but £7.50 for a London Vue is a pretty good price I think. Most other cinemas here are £14-£24

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

SERIOUSLY?! Woah! It's £8 for Cineworld but that's it. Anything above a tenner, unless it's Gold Class or something special, is bloody crazy! Most I've paid for as a cinema ticket is to see Metallica live and I think that was £15.

54 minutes ago, will' said:

These prices are crazy, here it’s more like £15 for the worst seat at the worst cinema.

SERIOUSLY?! Woah! It's £8 for Cineworld but that's it. Anything above a tenner, unless it's Gold Class or something special, is bloody crazy! Most I've paid for as a cinema ticket is to see Metallica live and I think that was £15.

There's one cinema I know if in London that's £5 and it's pretty shit (but good to have the option of course). 

You can get okay prices at certain days/times but you're mostly looking at £10 outside of zone 1 and upwards of £20 inside depending on day and cinema. 

In fact me and my ex went to see one of the Star Wars films at one of the outer Vues for 7.50 but it was ruined by loud teenagers so I complained and got complementary tickets for any screen/seat so we went to the one in Leicester Square with the best seats (and were the only ones there) and I think the tickets would have cost just over 40 had we actually purchased them. 

4 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

The only film I want to watch this year is Tenet. Desperate to watch it. But, I feel very dubious about going into a cinema at the moment. If they give the option to stream that film at home (they won't) then I would much rather take that up. I was originally looking at watching this in the IMAX and going for a big screen experience, but it doesn't seem quite right given everything that has been going on. I can't tell if I'm just being over cautious or sensible. 

I was discussing this with my wife, and initially, I was like:

tenor.gif

But after having thought about it, sitting in a cinema, apart from other people, while wearing a mask, while touching nothing, is far safer than potentially going to a restaurant or bar, where you would have to remove your mask, touch cutlery and glasses etc. 

Still don't know when i'm likely to do either, but when our cinema open up again (big up the Vue super-cheap tickets massive), i'll definitely consider it. It will probably be the last time i get to go to the cinema for a while anyway.

Since it launched on Disney plus a few weeks ago I've watched Hamilton 3 times and I'm obsessed with the songs.

Can't get enough!

• Like 2

A few weeks ago, the original (and best) Ghostbusters film was #1 at the U.S. box office again! :) 

• Like 1

Maybe this will finally put the 'Keanu Reeves doesn't age' meme to death. He kind of looks like Snape in that trailer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/07/2020 at 12:45 AM, soag said:

Since it launched on Disney plus a few weeks ago I've watched Hamilton 3 times and I'm obsessed with the songs.

Can't get enough!

I really want to watch this. I'm going to get Disney+ next weekend to do it! I can't wait. I've been wanting to see this since my American friends have been talking about it. It sounds really good!

3 hours ago, Beast said:

I really want to watch this. I'm going to get Disney+ next weekend to do it! I can't wait. I've been wanting to see this since my American friends have been talking about it. It sounds really good!

Its amazing!! Songs are so catchy and it really makes you want to look into the history of the founding fathers of the United States... I know it did for me anyway. 

Today I introduced my 11 year old daughter to the classic movie Beetlejuice. She seemed to really like it. 

11 hours ago, soag said:

Its amazing!! Songs are so catchy and it really makes you want to look into the history of the founding fathers of the United States... I know it did for me anyway. 

Today I introduced my 11 year old daughter to the classic movie Beetlejuice. She seemed to really like it. 

You should show her the cartoon. I used to love that as a kid. 

• Like 1

I do want to watch that but Disney seems to forget people outside America exists when it comes to Hulu.