NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

4 hours ago, Animal said:

Yeah it is.

I hope they do the second one but my God, it was stunning! I absolutely loved it! I'm so chuffed I got to see it! I love that cinemas are starting to do 80s films more now.

I'd love to catch A Nightmare on Elm Street, Back to the Future, Labyrinth, The Breakfast Club, The Lost Boys, Gremlins and Top Gun.

Yeah, seeing it on the big screen yesterday was so awesome. It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid :hehe:

Apparently certain screenings in America have a newly recorded introduction with Bill murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver and Annie potts introducing some of the alternative takes from the film that were recently found. I wish that had been shown here.

Edited by Helmsly

13 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Yeah, seeing it on the big screen yesterday was so awesome. It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid :hehe:

Apparently certain screenings in America have a newly recorded introduction with Bill murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver and Annie potts introducing some of the alternative takes from the film that were recently found. I wish that had been shown here.

I know! I was saying to my mate that I never saw that! I was gutted but ugh, the movie was superb on the big screen. I'm even tempted to go again on Halloween! I even missed a few little things even though I've seen this movie an awful lot. Like when Venkman was talking to Peck, I didn't actually see Janine slowly peering from her desk to listen in. That made me laugh. I really hope they release the second one or do a double-bill of it. Actually, thinking about it, Ghostbusters II came out in 1989! Couldn't they have done a 30th anniversary of that too! That would be so awesome!

...and we can forget 2016 ever happened.

I still want the Real Ghostbusters boxset and the Remastered copy of the game.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Animal said:

I know! I was saying to my mate that I never saw that! I was gutted but ugh, the movie was superb on the big screen. I'm even tempted to go again on Halloween! I even missed a few little things even though I've seen this movie an awful lot. Like when Venkman was talking to Peck, I didn't actually see Janine slowly peering from her desk to listen in. That made me laugh. I really hope they release the second one or do a double-bill of it. Actually, thinking about it, Ghostbusters II came out in 1989! Couldn't they have done a 30th anniversary of that too! That would be so awesome!

...and we can forget 2016 ever happened.

I still want the Real Ghostbusters boxset and the Remastered copy of the game.

Ha wow, I never noticed that before! Funnily enough i also noticed a few things myself while watching it last night. Like Egon subtly letting Peter know how much to charge the Hotel for capturing Slimer:

Oxq2IDc.gif?noredirect

I think seeing it in the cinema made me pay more attention to the film then I normally do when I watch it. I agree with you about GBII, I would have loved to see that too.

Quick thing about Real Ghostbusters: i missed out on that Time Life box set they released about ten years back and as you probably know, its out of print and stupidly expensive now when it shows up on ebay, but a company in Germany called Turbine Media acquired the German rights to release the show and put out the complete set on DVD and Bluray (although its DVD quality). Despite being a German set, the audio is in English, so I picked up box set 1 a couple of years ago:

EGS3HkfWoAELrNO.jpg:large

The packaging and the booklet that comes with it is all in German, but the episodes themselves have an english audio option. I found out that if you have an amazon account you can sign into the German Amazon site and order stuff just as normal, so I got it. I didn't get box set 2 as that is the episodes where they changed the voice actors for Peter and Janine etc, but I'm thinking to get the Bluray set just to have all the episodes at some point

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope they'll re-release it ver here as well. So far there's no sign of it.

I watched Joker a few days ago and it's definitely one of the best films I've ever seen. I know people say this quite lightly but this is one of the few films that has stayed with me over the last few days and one of the films I'm eager to watch again. Reviews on it has been particularly harsh and the RT score is ridiculously low. I can't actually think of a bad thing to say about it. I also love the fact that it's not another superhero/villain/whatever film. 

12 minutes ago, Animal said:

I also love the fact that it's not another superhero/villain/whatever film. 

Really, I just assumed it was and stayed well clear for that reason. 

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Spoiler

The Wayne family and the fact he lives in Gotham City

41 minutes ago, Animal said:

I also love the fact that it's not another superhero/villain/whatever film. 

Technically it is, it's just done in a way that is different to what we are used to seeing in these types of movies.

29 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's an origin story that delves into why Joker is so messed up. It does have ties to other DC characters but it's nothing like the usual Marvel/DC films, so you may like it. Wasn't for me though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Technically it is, it's just done in a way that is different to what we are used to seeing in these types of movies.

It's an origin story that delves into why Joker is so messed up. It does have ties to other DC characters but it's nothing like the usual Marvel/DC films, so you may like it. Wasn't for me though.

Oh yeah, I know it is but I can honestly say I forgot it was about the Joker. It felt like a completely separate movie away from the actual DC universe, which I loved. Don't get me wrong, I love superhero movies but right now, I'm actually sick of them. It seems like they're released every five minutes.

I loved everything about the movie. How it was shot, the performances, the story, the character himself and in some scenes, I really felt emotional. I felt sad, angry, hurt and even shocked. I can't believe it actually stayed with me for this long.

@Ronnie, if you get a chance to watch it, do so. I'm not really into DC but I thoroughly enjoyed this and I have some random stranger to thank for giving me a free ticket to see it! :D

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Animal said:

@Ronnie, if you get a chance to watch it, do so. I'm not really into DC but I thoroughly enjoyed this and I have some random stranger to thank for giving me a free ticket to see it! :D

Yeah I will do, thanks for the suggestions gents. Does seem a good film, love the look of it.

6 minutes ago, Animal said:

I love superhero movies but right now, I'm actually sick of them. It seems like they're released every five minutes.

A million times this ^. I'm amazed more people haven't gotten sick of the superhero thing yet, I know the quality is more often than not high but still. 

I watched Joker last night and well, it's a good movie but not perfect, and had it not been about the Joker but just some random guy going insane, I probably wouldn't have watched it. 

Joaquin Phoenix was very good in the movie and the story was excellent, with some very intense scenes.

Spoiler

I do think it had some problems. One thing was that it's just too long for what it was - some scenes were dragged out and some parts seemed completely unnecessary - the part where he hallucinated about the neighbour for instance was not needed at all, it didn't add to anything. I did like the part where he snuck into her apartment and then we didn't see her anymore. I hope he didn't kill her.

Then some parts about the lore made me a bit confused. It's tied to Gotham and all that, but them suggesting that Joker is a half-brother to Bruce is just insane. Especially, and this is my second point, due to their age difference. So when Batman arrives, which is when Bruce is about 25-30 years old, Joker would be 60-70 years old and well... that doesn't add up.

Then I missed more shots with Arthur interacting with other people. I felt that he was very much alone and that he carried the movie all by himself. I would have wanted there to be more people around him. The shots in the Haha-place were very good. 

The last bit that I didn't enjoy much was that it was very much "what you see is what you get". Every detail is thrown at you so I at least haven't really needed to spend more time thinking about the movie, bar a few things. You very well understand that the system failed Arthur and that he was bullied (when dressed as a clown) at a few occasions so no need to think about stuff like that afterwards. It just felt a bit flat in that regard.

Anyone else watched El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie yet? I definitely enjoyed it but it seems pretty unnecessary. I suppose Jesse is such a beloved character that it feels right to flesh out his character more but I definitely prefer the approach of Better Call Saul. 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, MindFreak said:

I watched Joker last night and well, it's a good movie but not perfect, and had it not been about the Joker but just some random guy going insane, I probably wouldn't have watched it. 

Joaquin Phoenix was very good in the movie and the story was excellent, with some very intense scenes.

However (Hide contents)

I do think it had some problems. One thing was that it's just too long for what it was - some scenes were dragged out and some parts seemed completely unnecessary - the part where he hallucinated about the neighbour for instance was not needed at all, it didn't add to anything. I did like the part where he snuck into her apartment and then we didn't see her anymore. I hope he didn't kill her.

Then some parts about the lore made me a bit confused. It's tied to Gotham and all that, but them suggesting that Joker is a half-brother to Bruce is just insane. Especially, and this is my second point, due to their age difference. So when Batman arrives, which is when Bruce is about 25-30 years old, Joker would be 60-70 years old and well... that doesn't add up.

Then I missed more shots with Arthur interacting with other people. I felt that he was very much alone and that he carried the movie all by himself. I would have wanted there to be more people around him. The shots in the Haha-place were very good. 

The last bit that I didn't enjoy much was that it was very much "what you see is what you get". Every detail is thrown at you so I at least haven't really needed to spend more time thinking about the movie, bar a few things. You very well understand that the system failed Arthur and that he was bullied (when dressed as a clown) at a few occasions so no need to think about stuff like that afterwards. It just felt a bit flat in that regard.

Spoiler

Honestly, if anything, I thought that the scenes with the neighbour was just as important as anything in the film. To me, it showed that not only did he crave acceptance and love for who he is (like him imagining he was on the talk show, him reacting to the neighbour fake-shooting herself in the head, etc) but he wanted people to agree with him and his thoughts (such as the neighbour saying the three guys in the train deserved it, etc). I also thought it added that he wanted to be romantically involved and showed a bit of a lusting side to him (like him knocking the door after killing the three and just kissing her passionately). Without that, it doesn't add that dimension to it.

I also thought the whole point of the movie was for us to feel the way Arthur feels. He was a loner. He was misunderstood and a victim in a lot of ways. If he was interacting with more people, we wouldn't feel as alone, hurt or betrayed as he felt. Personally, through watching this, I was hoping someone would be there to help him and offer a hand but nobody came and I felt angry and frustrated just like he did.

If anything, he was a victim in and out of the clown suit. He has been lied to and abused his whole life without knowing. I actually felt the need to think more about his character. I thought being the clown slowly inspired and empowered him. What was once a sign for weakness turned into a sign of strength for him.

I really need to see this film again. It's seriously stayed with me so much.

On another note, I watched Metallica S&M2 and it was stunning! Beautiful! Sensational! I'm so glad I got to watch it but the audience was just sitting there doing nothing. Me and my friend and a handful of others were singing, rocking out in our seats and applauding. I'd definitely watch it again if I could. Hearing The Unforgiven Part 3 and All Within My Hands was epic!

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Of course it's another remake :indeed:

Technically, it's an adaptation. This one doesn't look like a remake from Eddie Murphy but seems to follow the original source material, judging by the timeline in the trailer. I read the series as a kid and I can vaguely remember him sailing in a boat. I know the books were released in the 1910s or 1920s or something. This seems to follow it closer. I'm actually excited!

• Like 2

Saw Joker on Sunday evening. It was...fucking amazing. Came out of the cinema and wanted to go back in to watch it all over again. 

I'll post it here as this thread has the most reactions to Joker. To review it in a style that befits the film:

"Joker: what a joke"

Shit film.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'll post it here as this thread has the most reactions to Joker. To review it in a style that befits the film:

"Joker: what a joke"

Shit film.

giphy.gif

• Weird 1

I am completely baffled by the polarization of opinions on Joker. People either seem to love it or hate it. I seem to be the only one in the middle on it - it was fine, kind of unoriginal, sprinkled with really stupid things and token elements, but has a really strong central performance and some lovely camera work. I don't think people will be talking about it in a year.

9 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

I am completely baffled by the polarization of opinions on Joker. People either seem to love it or hate it. I seem to be the only one in the middle on it - it was fine, kind of unoriginal, sprinkled with really stupid things and token elements, but has a really strong central performance and some lovely camera work. I don't think people will be talking about it in a year.

Oy, you haven't read my comments then. :p

I’ve appreciated the ‘in the middle’ opinions on Joker, as they make me think more about how good I found the film and why.

I’m keen to read a more in-depth review from (some of the) people who ‘hated’ it though. @Sméagol I’m looking at you because I normally agree with you. But a simple ‘shit movie‘ is not enough for me ;)

As of what I liked about it:

Spoiler

Still can’t really explain why but this movie really clicked with me and I absolutely loved it. Joaquin was superb, the change in how Arthur dealt with his mental (dis)ability was so beautifully acted and filmed. The way the movie makes you emphasize with a person who’s also so brutal in his actions. Wow, absolutely wow!

Cannot fucking wait for this. Adam Sandler is one of my favourite actors. I absolutely love his older comedies (Billy MadisonHappy GilmoreThe WaterboyAnger ManagementThe Longest Yard) but I've grown tired of his newer "funny" stuff.
However, what I admire is his capability to portray other characters. Reign Over Me is one of my all time favourite dramas and Adam Sandler is masterful in this. Everytime I see his monologue (you know what I'm talking about if you've seen the movie) I burst into tears. 

Uncut Gems seems to be a different kind of drama, but from the looks of the trailer it might be another movie with Adam Sandler at his best.

• Like 1

Possible leak of Sonic's new design in the upcoming movie:

Spoiler

EIqO5sKWsAA6YGp.jpg

No idea if it's real, but I have to say: looks pretty cool.