NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

You realise several on your list of original Hollywood films are adaptations, right...? And I know it's not an exhaustive list obviously but that spans 40 years. 

Although yeah, I could do with less Marvel films 😋

On 25/08/2019 at 1:04 AM, Ronnie said:

Of course there's plenty of original work. I'm talking more big budget type tentpole releases. Things like Jurassic Park, Toy Story, Alien, Kill Bill, Independence Day, Stargate, the Matrix, Titanic, Contact, Avatar, Men in Black, Austin Powers, Armageddon, Fifth Element,

Now it just seems to be either remakes, sequels a decade or two too late, or (and what I suspect is the real culprit) a new Marvel/superhero film every few weeks.

Films cost more than ever to make, so studio execs are more risk averse than ever. Go with what you know works. 

On 25/08/2019 at 9:59 AM, Ashley said:

Although yeah, I could do with less Marvel films 😋

Any reason why? Can you not just not watch them and let those who enjoy them watch them?

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Any reason why? Can you not just not watch them and let those who enjoy them watch them?

The 😋 was intentional.

Yeah I don't watch them but fill your boots.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The 😋 was intentional.

Yeah I don't watch them but fill your boots.

Yeah it's just because you see that comment a lot from people these days so I thought I'd ask. 

4 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Films cost more than ever to make, so studio execs are more risk averse than ever. Go with what you know works. 

Yeah I guess this is it, I just think it's a shame, but at the same time I'm glad to have lived through the 90s/00s when we were getting all those new big budget film events.

I also think a new Marvel film releasing every few months has 100% monopolosised and stymied non-superhero blockbuster action films though. Also a shame, at least for people like me who got bored of them after the 9th (or was it 12th?).

Edited by Ronnie

Has anyone mentioned how many Marvel films there are yet?

Final trailer for Joker:

Looks really good. Not sure that I need an origin story for Joker but as a movie, it sure looks promising. 

• Like 1

I've been looking forward to this movie since I first heard that Joaquin Phoenix will play Joker. Can't wait!

That trailer is much better than the original one they put out. I'm still not fully sold on it but i'll be seeing it anyway purely because it's a Terminator movie. I am intrigued to know why the hell Arnie/a T-800 model is kicking about during this time period.

Image result for yuck gif

It looks awful, in my opinion. Genisys was absolutely rubbish and probably one of the worst films that I've seen in the cinema. I'm not getting a great vibe from what I've seen of Dark Fate either. It doesn't look like bucking the trend of shit Terminator films. We're already in negative equity with the ratio of bad Terminator films outweighing the amount of good Terminator movies.

On 27.8.2019 at 10:37 AM, bob said:

Has anyone mentioned how many Marvel films there are yet?

Are we talking about the Marvel Cinematic Universe and not films of Marvel properties in general? Then the answer is 23. And it goes on, Black Widow, The Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange and the Universe of Madness and Thor: Love & Thunder were announced and furthermore Black Panther 2, The Fantastic Four and Blade were confirmed to be planned. While I'm personally a huge fan of the MCU movies, I don't like the whole Disney+ stuff, but that's something that doesn't belong here. :p

On 24.8.2019 at 8:24 AM, Ronnie said:

Why is there so little original content these days? Instead it's The Lion King remade, or Top Gun 2, or five and a half thousand Marvel films and series based on existing comic books, or a rebooted Addams Family, or Matrix 4...

Well, to be frank, the MCU movies have become quite independent from the comics by now. I know where you're coming from, that the characters and stories originate from another medium, but the Marvel Film studios have really changed the backstory or the course of many of these storylines and characters. Best examples are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being Mutants but Hydra experiments and Captain America not dying in the movie version of Civil War.

Also, comics like Guardians of Galaxy or Ant-Man were never popular. Getting these characters on the big screen and making them so popular, I really think that they're taking risks with their choice of content and aren't unoriginal.

Edited by ThiophenSJ
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2019 at 10:37 AM, Happenstance said:

I'm more interested to see why Justin Bieber is running around all enhanced.

How dare you. 

Go watch Halt and Catch Fire as your penance. 

Bad Boys and it's sequel are two of my favourite movies of all time but I'm just not feeling this trailer. It feels all over the place and Lawrence really should have least got into shape for this...unless they are going to play on that in the film.

I'm still disappointed Bay didn't return for this final outing. :( 

I love the first one but wasn’t a massive fan of the second when I first watched it. Need to give it another try at some point.

Terminator Dark Fate has an absurd number of cross promotions - just saw an advert for DW Fitness that was Terminator themed. Super weird.

37 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Terminator Dark Fate has an absurd number of cross promotions - just saw an advert for DW Fitness that was Terminator themed. Super weird.

It kind of makes sense. Weird would be a Seth Rogan film having cross promotion with them. 

Just got back from seeing Joker. Utter tripe. Sod all really happens until the last 10-15 mins. I need to stop listening to the opinion of movie critics. They always like the artsy, slow movies. I seen Rambo: Last Blood the other week and much preferred that. :D 

• Like 1

I thought Joker was pretty good. It's basically just Taxi Driver meets The King of Comedy in the Batman universe but it works quite well. Joaquin Phoenix is predictably great but I think the writing could have been a lot better. 

Ghostbusters 1984 is rereleased  in the cinemas tomorrow for its 35th Anniversary. I am so excited. Its one of my favourite films ever and I have always wanted to see it on the big screen! It's going to be such an experience! 

36 minutes ago, Animal said:

Ghostbusters 1984 is rereleased  in the cinemas tomorrow for its 35th Anniversary. I am so excited. Its one of my favourite films ever and I have always wanted to see it on the big screen! It's going to be such an experience! 

Same here, i plan to see it tomorrow. Easily my favorite movie of all time but I've never seen it in the cinema before, as I was too young when it came out. As I understand it, its going to be shown a few more times at the end of the month as well, closer to Halloween.

On 06/10/2019 at 12:24 AM, Helmsly said:

Same here, i plan to see it tomorrow. Easily my favorite movie of all time but I've never seen it in the cinema before, as I was too young when it came out. As I understand it, its going to be shown a few more times at the end of the month as well, closer to Halloween.

Yeah it is.

I hope they do the second one but my God, it was stunning! I absolutely loved it! I'm so chuffed I got to see it! I love that cinemas are starting to do 80s films more now.

I'd love to catch A Nightmare on Elm Street, Back to the Future, Labyrinth, The Breakfast Club, The Lost Boys, Gremlins and Top Gun.