NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

On 25/02/2019 at 9:01 PM, Julius said:

I believe Up and Toy Story 3 also received nominations for Best Picture in their respective Oscar seasons too?

You are correct. Those are the only animated films ever to be nominated. 

• Thanks 1

The overlooking of animated films every year is one of those trends that just proves that the Oscars isn't the high authority on movies that it portrays itself as. Animated movies as much as foreign movies in fact. The list of movies in both categories that deserve to be in that Best Picture discussion is... well it would be a long list of very good movies. 

• Like 1

It does. It looks really bad. I mean, I actually enjoyed the Ace Ventura-esque Eggman-bit in the beginning but then Sonic appeared and.. well.. straight to Netflix!

It's baffling that they managed to attract so many big names to it, just looks poorly conceived on every level. 

I am completely ignorant when it comes to Sonic lore but has Robotnik always been trying to capture Sonic in order to conduct research on him? Was Sonic always from another planet? So many questions before you even get to the terrible character design.

I actually think that looks quite good, but then I've never played a Sonic game and am a sucker for anything with the Carrey in it.

I feel like the focus on the Carey schtick shows how little else they have. Yeah he's a big comedy name but it just sucked momentum (ironically) from the trailer and he's one of those people that can be too much. 

Weirdly Tommy Lee Jones gets it

Plus the design is really... Weird. 

Sonic can be fixed, it seems. Here's some Twitter-users who have attempted:

D5cupMgXkAI0x86?format=jpg&name=large

D5aghA6UYAAp0gP?format=jpg&name=900x900

I didn't realise until seeing those but yeah what is going on with the eyes? Plus with the other, why have they seemingly insisted on trying to make it look like a 12 year old boy wearing a costume?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/04/2019 at 4:25 PM, killthenet said:

It's baffling that they managed to attract so many big names to it, just looks poorly conceived on every level. 

I am completely ignorant when it comes to Sonic lore but has Robotnik always been trying to capture Sonic in order to conduct research on him? Was Sonic always from another planet? So many questions before you even get to the terrible character design.

In Sonic lore, Sonic is just a particularly fast hedgehog, and Robotnik is just a mad scientist trying to take over the planet, trampling through nature and wildlife as he does so.

This movie is taking (part of) the aesthetic trappings from the source material and very little else.

Add me to the list of people who thinks the trailer looks awful. Jim Carrey hamming it up is literally its only saving grace.

I didn't realise until seeing those but yeah what is going on with the eyes? Plus with the other, why have they seemingly insisted on trying to make it look like a 12 year old boy wearing a costume?
I think you've just spoiled the twist at the end of the movie.
  • Haha 1

The last good Jim Carrey film was Leap Dave Williams

I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, but the trailer was just dreadful.  For me, I agree with @Jonas that Jim Carey was the only saving grace.  The whole thing just seems like a bad version of “Hop”.

The last second of the trailer has at least given me some naive optimistic hope that they’re trolling us and that the majority of the film is actually going to take place in the Green Hill (& other) zones... 

Interesting that the Director has suggested that, due to such a strong negative reaction, changes will be made to the film before November: https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/2/18527449/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-design-change-director

I believe that they intentionally released a trailer with a shit Sonic, to get people taking about it. They already have a better version ready to go, and will release the good version now that they've had a load of free advertising.

I believe they're just idiots who didn't listen to internal feedback and now the animators are being fucked over. 

• Thanks 2

I'd been wanting to watch it for a while but missed out on it in the cinemas but tonight, I say down and watched Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse and I absolutely loved it. It was fricken amazing. Loved the visuals, soundtrack was great, the film had a great flow to it and didn't seem to have a dip at any point and it just came together so well.

I've not really kept in with the whole MCU movie thing (I've seen the first Captain America, half of Iron Man 1 (I got bored of it) and the first Avengers but that's it) as I'm not the biggest superhero movie fan, but this was just pure joy. A good Spider-man movie for the first time since the second Sam Raimi one.

I'm so up for more of them as well. I don't know much about all the different versions of Spiderman but all the possibilities of crossovers (and I mean with Spiderman related stuff, keep the Avengers stuff out of it) and such could be awesome.

I came away instantly wanting to rewatch it again so going to persuade the missus to watch it later this week after catching up with Barry and watching Chernobyl. But yeah, what a fantastic film.

Sonic movie has been delayed.

I guess they were serious when they said they were going to redesign him. Hopefully when it reappears he actually looks like he's supposed to.

52 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sonic movie has been delayed.

I guess they were serious when they said they were going to redesign him. Hopefully when it reappears he actually looks like he's supposed to.

I hope in the next trailer he is taller and even more awkward looking 

• Like 1

Apparently they made a live-action film of the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. In Brazil. Featuring a Renault.

Now I really want a live-action film.

• Weird 1