NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Tessa Thompson is literally in everything right now. I'm pretty sure she has a clone or a twin or something.

Went to see The Favourite last night. Didn't know anything about it or what to expect.

It was pretty good. My criticisms are that it is about 15 minutes too long, the music is weird and the ending is complete trash. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

My wife wanted to watch some movies for a change. So first we watched Passengers, which was good but too long and a bit on the slow side generally. 

Then we watched Bird Box, which was good but too long and the ending was terrible, and the monsters were inconsistent. 

Finally, yesterday we saw Arrival. That's the best one of the three. I liked the plot twist but found it a bit dazzling at first. 

11 hours ago, MindFreak said:

My wife wanted to watch some movies for a change. So first we watched Passengers, which was good but too long and a bit on the slow side generally. 

Then we watched Bird Box, which was good but too long and the ending was terrible, and the monsters were inconsistent. 

Finally, yesterday we saw Arrival. That's the best one of the three. I liked the plot twist but found it a bit dazzling at first. 

Bird Box was only 124 minutes, which isn't thaaaat long really. About the standard for a film. 

Arrival is awesome and I definitely need a re-watch of that. Really enjoyed it and rate it highly. 

16 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Bird Box was only 124 minutes, which isn't thaaaat long really. About the standard for a film.

So staring at a white wall for 124 minutes isn't boring because it isn't 180 minutes? :p

Not saying that the movie is boring, just saying that some parts of it was too elaborate and long without really adding to the story. They could easily have got rid of two or three persons in the house in the city without ruining anything. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

So staring at a white wall for 124 minutes isn't boring because it isn't 180 minutes? :p

Not saying that the movie is boring, just saying that some parts of it was too elaborate and long without really adding to the story. They could easily have got rid of two or three persons in the house in the city without ruining anything. 

You said the movie was good. :p 

The premise is good, but I do agree with your point about the house. Overall, I'd say that it's a decent/good film that's worth watching and I enjoyed it. It certainly isn't as good as A Quiet Place, which is possibly the most comparable film to it. 

I want to check out Bird Box, but I'm not expecting much of it.

And you reminded me that I've seen The quiet place last year, and that it is missing from my list. Though I'm not super enthousiastic about that one etiher.. It was ok.

21 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I want to check out Bird Box, but I'm not expecting much of it.

And you reminded me that I've seen The quiet place last year, and that it is missing from my list. Though I'm not super enthousiastic about that one etiher.. It was ok.

Waaa, I adored A Quiet Place. I loved the concept and the execution of it. I'm interested to see the direction they take with the sequel!

We watched The Big Short yesterday and I have to say that I thought it was outstanding. Brilliant film, but very fucking terrifying at the same time. There's this whole other world out there that we never, ever get to see and barely know anything about, where people fling around and gamble with millions of pounds/dollars and do not give a shit about the consequences except for how it affects their bottom line. Loved the film, but there were about 20 different emotions that I went through whilst watching it. 

Just looking at the Oscar nominations that were announced today.

Man, animated films get absolutely shafted at the Oscars. Into the Spider-verse gets nominated for Best Animated Feature, yet doesn't get a look in for Best Picture, which is insane, imo. Also, it doesn't get a nomination for Best Visual Effects. Way to devalue animations. 

• Like 2

Looking at our release list.. I didn't know this was coming so soon or had a trailer already.. Next month.

Together with Captain Cat Marvel, I'm hyped for March.

• Thanks 1

I was driving home from work yesterday evening and fancied a trip to the cinema. I had no idea what was showing but when I got there I seen that a showing for Alita: Battle Angel was starting in the next 10 minutes so I figured I would watch that.

I seen the trailer for the film a couple of times and I thought it looked decent but I ended up enjoying the movie way more than I thought I would. It had plenty of action, some great CGI effects and told a decent story. However, there were a couple of things that missed the mark for me. 

Spoiler

Hugo dies, gets brought back as a cyborg and then dies again all in the space of 5-10 minutes. Really weird.

Ending the way it did was a bit annoying. There's no guarantee that the film would do well enough to get a sequel and ending it with Alita looking to head towards the big bad was a bit meh. I want closure! 

Other than those two things I really loved the movie.

Went to see The Lego Movie 2 yesterday. Really enjoyed it, so many little meta jokes and just nods to other stuff. And the fake ending had me for a second. Thoroughly enjoyable film and a great second part to the first one. It just seemed like the perfect continuation of the story. 

My predictions (not necessarily my favourites, though in some cases they are):

Best film
Roma

Best director
Alfonso Cuarón

Best actor
Willem Dafoe

Best actress
Olivia Colman

Best supporting actor
Adam Driver

Best supporting actress
Rachel Weisz

Best foreign language film
Cold war

Best animated feature
Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Best documentary feature
Free solo

I was going to leave it at those catagories (I find the others more difficult to guess), but hell why not, let's continue.

Best original screenplay
Roma - Alfonso Cuarón

Best adapted screenplay
BlacKkKlansman - Bunch of guys

Best cinematography
Cold War - Łukasz Żal

Best visual effects
Avengers: Infinity War

Best costume design
The favourite - Sandy Powell

Best original song
Shallow - Lady GaGa

Best original Music score
Mary Poppins Returns

Ya, I'm not going to bother with the rest.

Still annoyed that Into the Spider-verse only got nominated for Best Animated, rather than Best Picture. Think it deserved to be there ahead of Black Panther, personally. Animations are looked down upon as inferior. 
Anyway, apparently the Oscars now suck due to Green Book winning. I know nothing about the film, so can't comment.

31 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Still annoyed that Into the Spider-verse only got nominated for Best Animated, rather than Best Picture. Think it deserved to be there ahead of Black Panther, personally. Animations are looked down upon as inferior. 
Anyway, apparently the Oscars now suck due to Green Book winning. I know nothing about the film, so can't comment.

I think Beauty & the Beast is still the only animated film to get a Best Picture nomination despite Pixar alone having produced several worthy films in the years since. 

I spent this week watching as many of the Oscar nominated films as I could (Vice and If Beale Street Could Talk were the only ones in major categories that I didn't watch) and I thought Green Book was pretty good but Roma was the best of the 8 films that were nominated. I can totally understand why Spike Lee is annoyed though, Blackklansman made a much better commentary on race relations in the US - Green Book is an enjoyable story but it glosses over a lot of aspects that it could potentially delve deeper into.

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

I think Beauty & the Beast is still the only animated film to get a Best Picture nomination despite Pixar alone having produced several worthy films in the years since. 

I believe Up and Toy Story 3 also received nominations for Best Picture in their respective Oscar seasons too?

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2