NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I just watched this clip from The Dark Knight.. It's been a while, but was surprised it aged so badly.

Glass trailer № 2

HYPE

Edit

Anna & the apocalypse red band trailer

HYPE

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

Wow, Anna & The Apocalypse looks ... just like Shaun of the Dead. Which is one of my absolute favourite comedies out there. I shall totally watch this one. And perhaps SotD again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Wow, Anna & The Apocalypse looks ... just like Shaun of the Dead. Which is one of my absolute favourite comedies out there. I shall totally watch this one. And perhaps SotD again. 

I had the same thoughts. Looks like a great take on the comedy zombie genre. 

High Life trailer

The best of enemies trailer

And Tessa Thompson is totally selling me on a MIB sequel.

Edited by Sméagol

Anyone else seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet? Went to see it Thursday and really enjoyed it. 
Seeing it Tuesday hopefully, really looking forward to it!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Anyone else seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet? Went to see it Thursday and really enjoyed it. 

Saw it yesterday and loved it. It's got a mixture of everything. The last 15 minutes or so were magical and a great way to close the film. 

• Like 1

Yep. Saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. Was a bit skeptical about it before it started because of all the issues it has during development, but it was generally great.

I do with they could have spent more time on the other members of the band though. The parts about Mercury were good, and the actor who played him was amazing, but the best parts were the little moments and banter between the other three guys.

• Like 1

This is one film I saw some time ago at a Japanese film festival, and I highly recommend it if you get the chance to watch it. It's still doing the rounds at festivals, so that may be difficult.

One cut of the dead

It's a about a filmmaker who's making a no-budget horror film but done in one cut. However.. Things go wrong. First you get to see the actual result, then you see what leads up to it. It's necessary for the film to have it done this way.

It's absolutely hilarious, and very, very clever. A great "meta" comedy. @drahkon, something for you too? I don't know if you're into comedies. It's not meta in the story sense, but meta in the editing sense. Also great for people into film making. ;)

Edit: spoiler alert: it's a serious candidate for film of the year for me.

Edited by Sméagol

9 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

. A great "meta" comedy. @drahkon, something for you too? I don't know if you're into comedies.

Definitely, but I'm not that into horror. Is it a movie with lots of jump-scares?

18 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Definitely, but I'm not that into horror. Is it a movie with lots of jump-scares?

Definitely not. The first part is more of a "so bad, it's funny" no-budget horror style. Even if you still don't like it, it's definitely worth sitting through that just for the payoff in the 2nd part.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but this is still sitting at 100% fresh at rotten tomatoes.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Same. I want to see that. Hoping it's English subbed/dubbed. When is it out?

Just watched Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. Absolutely LOVED it! It's got mixed reviews and I understand why but I adored it. It had the charm of Fantastic Beasts and added more to the Harry Potter world too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Just got out of an old 60s movie called The Chase - Robert Redford, Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda. Was great, like a solid 4/5. More about moral decay than about the 'man on the run' situation the movie sets up at the beginnning. Would never have watched it either if they weren't showing it on the big screen, so there's that great feeling of stumbling across something special.

And my word Brando could act. Upstages everyone else on screen regardless of whether he's got lines or not. Need to see more of his. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

@LazyBoy, sorry, I don't see that many "old" films. In fact this may be sacrilege, but I don't think I've seen any of his films. If you want more Jane Fonda to drool over however, I can heartily recommend Barbarella.

I'm actually really curious to see what they've done with it. Business-wise I think it's genius.

Saw Widows last night, and I can say with certainty that I will be recommending this to everyone. Not a perfect movie, but there is so much good stuff in there. Viola Davies is a titan of an performer, even putting Liam Neeson in the shade. 

But the standout aspect is McQueen's direction. For a heist movie there is not one moment of generic or rote film making. Everything is purposly built, and then beautifully shot. It's an exceptionally well put together movie, to the extent that I can out of the cinema thinking - 'give this guy a Bond movie'. 

It's not perfect. Like everything made these days it needs 10 minutes off the running time, and there's maybe 1 or 2 too many characters. But please go see it, not many movies like this out there.

• Thanks 1

Watched Game Night just now.

One of the best comedies I've seen in ages. No childish sex-jokes, no unnecessary profanities or annoying side characters. The movie doesn't take itself too seriously; it's simply a fun ride with a surprisingly good story.

The acting was spot on, as well. And the soundtrack was incredible, weirdly enough.

Would recommend for an enjoyable 100 minutes of black comedy.