NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Maybe Teen Titans? If you want to have a laugh. I had a great time with it.

If you don't want to laugh, maybe BlacKKKlansman. I'll be seeing that one myself soon.

If I'm gonna go IMAX then I want to see something that's visually impressive.

BlacKKKlansman looked pretty bad, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If I'm gonna go IMAX then I want to see something that's visually impressive.

BlacKKKlansman looked pretty bad, IMO.

Haha, IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes say otherwise, but ok, it's not your kind of film, and I have yet to see it myself.

So you want a blockbuster. if you haven't already, I suggest you watch Mission Impossible?

Edit:

I don't know how long you're willing / able to wait, but this was a bad year for blockbusters in general, Infinity War aside. If you want a big movie that's not Mission Impossible.. I think you'll have to wait until the Holiday season. Things like Fantastic Beast 2 will come out then. Immortal Engines may be interesting, also in that period.

Edited by Sméagol

I learnt along time not to bother with reviews on IMDB, Empire, Rotten Tomato etc. They tend to favour movies that are artsy or have some kind of message. I just wanna a laugh and see stuff get blown up. :p 

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Edit:

I don't know how long you're willing / able to wait, but this was a bad year for blockbusters in general, Infinity War aside. If you want a big movie that's not Mission Impossible.. I think you'll have to wait until the Holiday season. Things like Fantastic Beast 2 will come out then. Immortal Engines may be interesting, also in that period.

In terms of quality or quantity? 

And there’s typically been a bit of a lull, in terms of blockbusters, between late July and the latter months of the year for as far as I can remember. But I’d have to agree that it’s much more noticeable this year, with no real must-see action blockbuster juggernaut (e.g. no Star Wars and no MCU) coming in the last three months of the year. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I learnt along time not to bother with reviews on IMDB, Empire, Rotten Tomato etc. They tend to favour movies that are artsy or have some kind of message. I just wanna a laugh and see stuff get blown up. :p 

Now I know why you didn't like Shenmue. 

• Haha 3

On 8/5/2018 at 11:08 PM, Sméagol said:

One of the "if you like this" suggestions, was The Endless. I suspect that one will also be up your alley.

Just watched it. Pretty good. Obvious low-budget production with an intriguing plot and great cinematography.

The story is right up my alley, as you assumed. Apparently the directors made a movie (Resolution) in 2012 which ties into The Endless. Will give that one a watch soon.

By the way: Great avatar :D 

Edit: Anybody got some more of those mind-fuck movies? I could watch 'em all day. Need more.

Edited by drahkon

5 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

In terms of quality or quantity? 

And there’s typically been a bit of a lull, in terms of blockbusters, between late July and the latter months of the year for as far as I can remember. But I’d have to agree that it’s much more noticeable this year, with no real must-see action blockbuster juggernaut (e.g. no Star Wars and no MCU) coming in the last three months of the year. 

Both. I'm not talking about the typical lull, I'm talking about the whole Summer, and the year overall. I can only think of a few Blockbusters / typical Hollywood films from the top of my head. And as far as I know, almost everything that wasn't Marvel or Disney bombed. Who went to see Skyscraper? I suspected Venom to bomb, eventhough I plan to see it myself, but I hear it has a good Box office tracking. Aquaman is going to bomb in Winter. I think Mortal Engines, again, eventhough I plan to see it myself, is going to bomb. I think Fantastic Beast will be the last typical Blockbuster hit this year. Maybe Mary Poppins, but I'll pass myself.

Of course there are other genres to think of, Crazy Rich Asians looks like to be a hit for example, but still.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Just watched it. Pretty good. Obvious low-budget production with an intriguing plot and great cinematography.

The story is right up my alley, as you assumed. Apparently the directors made a movie (Resolution) in 2012 which ties into The Endless. Will give that one a watch soon.

By the way: Great avatar :D 

Edit: Anybody got some more of those mind-fuck movies? I could watch 'em all day. Need more.

Changed my avatar for the occasion (she's hot after all). After you mentioned Coherence, I decided to get the Spanish releases (best cover, the same as the US DVD). Bought a blu-ray for myself, and the DVD as a gift for someone else. Watched it finally again after all these years. then watched it again immediately afterwards, with the commentary. Didn't know most of he film was actually improvised.. Which made me appreciate the film even more. Will get The Endless at some point as well probably.

Mind fuck movies? I see most of those kind of films at one specific festival. I didn't see as many films at that festival as I'd have liked or should have. The endless was one of them.

I already mentioned this one, but the Italian film The place could be interesting. it's more of a supernatural.. drama? Not a mindfuck really. I liked it, but it's based on the American series The man at the end of the booth. After seeing the Italian film recently, I can say it's practically the same, so maybe go with the original. 

Want some time loop films? I found Korean film A day very entertaining. Bit of a drama thriller. And another time loop.. I wouldn't call it fantastic, but it's fun for a quick watch: Happy death day. This is a comedy (slasher) horror.

Netflix Originals films? I personally found The discovery pretty good (though it's not getting fantastic scores). You should definitely watch Annihilation which has already been mentioned in this thread, if you haven't already.

And the last one, if you don't mind a stop-motion animation.. Also not a mindfuck persé, but definitely a large dosis of Japanese what-the-fuckery. Junk head. Though that one's still doing the rounds at festivals, so I don't think you can watch it easily. The first half hour or so is online though. Sci-fi stop motion, with some Japanese weirdness, but also plenty of humour. Together with The endless and A day my favourites of this year's Imagine film festival.

Trailer:

First half hour:

Finally, I found this guy after seeing if I could find a chronological chart of Coherence online. Our tastes overlap, so yours will as well. He explains the endings of films on his site. Obviously don't read those unless you've seen the film, but it's a nice collection of films to check out.

https://www.thisisbarry.com/films

• Thanks 1

A sequel to A Quiet Place has been announced, with a May 2020 attached to it. Really enjoyed the film and rate it quite highly. I hope that they don't plan to do a direct sequel and instead look at a new set of characters in a different location. We'll see!

Wasn't a super fan of it myself. Cast is great, atmosphere is great, but the amount of stupid stuff they do.. And are there no gamers in that world? Those creatures are tough, but have this obvious weakspot you can hit for massive damage.. Also, Siren + Nuke? No?

Edit:

I am reminded that I was incredibly looking forward to this:

Edited by Sméagol

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, Sméagol said:

Wasn't a super fan of it myself. Cast is great, atmosphere is great, but the amount of stupid stuff they do.. And are there no gamers in that world? Those creatures are tough, but have this obvious weakspot you can hit for massive damage.. Also, Siren + Nuke? No?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a film in that genre where the characters don't make bad or irrational decisions. Although, when watching the film in the cinema (only time I've seen it), I didn't think that there were that many bad decisions made. I bought into the world that they were aiming to create, and thought the atmosphere throughout was fantastic. When a film does a particular element so well, I can usually forgive some of the other stuff, but there wasn't really an awful lot there that I didn't like. Loved the usage of sign language, really liked the casting (as well as casting Millicent Simmonds - a deaf actress for that role, which she played perfectly) and thought it was well paced. There was never really a moment in the film where I stopped and thought "oh this film would be great if they didn't do this bit or that part". 

Just saw this new range of minimalist classic dvd covers in Tesco. Pretty cool no?1909d1471bb507cd941c5fac057190a1.jpg

• Like 1

I hope you purchased Iron Giant
I actually had never seen Iron Giant until about two weeks ago, when I saw it on a plane. It's very good.

I've been pestering @Eenuh to watch Whiplash for a while and we finally watched it yesterday. Yup, it pretty much lived up to my expectations and I can safely say that I loved every single second of it. Great finale, too.

Can see why J.K. Simmons won an Oscar for his performance in this. Very intimidating during every scene! Would have hated that guy in real life. :o 

On 8/31/2018 at 1:01 AM, Sméagol said:

You should definitely watch Annihilation which has already been mentioned in this thread, if you haven't already.

Watched it today. 

Spectacular. I loved how the soundtrack was incorporated into certain scenes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Watched it today. 

Spectacular. I loved how the soundtrack was incorporated into certain scenes. 

I actually watched this Friday night and really enjoyed it as well. Had no clue what it was about before I watched it, other than the fact it has Natalie Portman in it haha. Enjoyed it though. :)

I bought the book but haven't read it yet. Not sure whether to read the book or watch the film first.

46 minutes ago, bob said:

I bought the book but haven't read it yet. Not sure whether to read the book or watch the film first.

I'm not sure if it matters in this case. I know nothing about the book, but I've heard the director took it in a very different direction than what the book is about. I think in this case you can see them as entirely separate things, but with some of the same characters and events.

Just watched Cube for the first and last time.

Didn't like it. ::shrug: Especially the ending.

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Just watched Cube for the first and last time.

Didn't like it. ::shrug: Especially the ending.

Was @Cube aware he was being watched?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Too happy.

While it's obvious what kind of joke you want to make.. If you have actually seen the film.. It's not happy.

I loved Cube by the way. But yeah, that ending. Haven't seen the sequels.