NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

The Last Jedi will be Disney's first 4K blu ray release I think, so I would assume pretty much everything major will get a 4K release from now on. I'll have a look at those services you mentioned but in the UK we're a little further behind when it comes to being able to buy 4K movies unlike the US which seems to have a fair few options. Streaming isn't an issue for me as I've been able to stream Netflix's 4K offerings and they've looked great, no buffering or artifacting and they have actually looked better than 4K files that I've acquired by more nefarious means. I'll obviously have the option to do that with Star Wars but i'd rather pay for it.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Ashley said:

Finally saw Coco (for free when it should have been something like £38 for two tickets) and it was amazing.  I loved it.  So sweet, heartbreaking, funny and such a fantastic use of colour.  It made me want some device to play Ultra HD blu-rays (or whatever we're calling 4K blu-rays) for when its out.

I knew nothing about Coco before seeing it. A beautiful, gorgeous film. Loved all of it. It just had everything (mostly tears) and was just incredible. Love it when Pixar do films like this!

I knew nothing about Coco before seeing it. A beautiful, gorgeous film. Loved all of it. It just had everything (mostly tears) and was just incredible. Love it when Pixar do films like this!
I am the opposite. I'm not really a fan of sad films, and now it seems Pixar do nothing else. I've not seen Coco, and I probably won't bother if it's that bad.

I really hope they don't go that way with Incredibles 2...

51 minutes ago, bob said:

I am the opposite. I'm not really a fan of sad films, and now it seems Pixar do nothing else. I've not seen Coco, and I probably won't bother if it's that bad.

Coco is a film about family, which is inevitably sad because families are depressing.

So Incredibles 2...

But seriously, Coco is heartwarmingly sad.  It's the tears of joy kind of thing, not the start of Up.

• Like 1

Coco was amazing, I really loved it. The world looked so vibrant and colourful! Great characters, great soundtrack. It's not a sad film, it might just have a sad moment, like how the Lion King might make you cry at certain points, or Bambi or something. Doesn't make them sad films though. Coco is definitely worth seeing. :)

5 hours ago, bob said:

It's typical Pixar. Sad in parts, hilarious in others, heart-warming in certain sections and then bittersweet in other areas. It has a bit of everything. It's too good a film to miss out on, imo. In the same way that @Eenuh mentioned with The Lion King, you shouldn't really miss out on a great film because there are some sad sections or subject matter. That actually propels it and makes the heart-warming moments even more poignant. 

It's good that Pixar have the ability to make you feel a range of emotions. It's a lot more 3-dimensional and more interesting storytelling than "hah, that bit was funny...that bit was also funny". 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's a lot more 3-dimensional

Something Pixar has built it's reputation on you could say.

Please watch Coco! I watched it last night and this is definitely one of Disney Pixar's best work. The animation is amazing, the story is brilliant and I loved all of the characters. I don't want to give anything away but the story was not what I was expecting (but in a good way). This is definitely in my top 3 favourite Disney Pixar films.

I watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and I loved it. Very entertaining and a funny film throughout. Also, the action scenes were cool too.

I also watched The Greatest Showman too. I enjoyed it that much that I bought the soundtrack.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Coco is absolutely wonderful, and might just be Pixar's best film. It's so strong on so many levels (writing, humour, visuals, music, etc.), and one of the few times I ever shed a tear during a film.

As a disclaimer, part of why I liked it so much might be due to me having Latin American family (the Portuguese version of the film switches between Portuguese and Spanish seamlessly, uncannily identical to how that side of my family speaks), and I managed to immediately "get" a lot of the references (I've heard "La Llorona" before, I understood the Frida Kahlo jokes, etc.), but I also think the strongest aspects of the film don't require this kind of connection. Staying as removed as I can from this identity, I can still confidently say that Coco is a masterpiece, and a must-see.

• Like 1

Watched Game Night and it was a lot of fun. Despite my annoyance with them only referencing really dreadful and outdated board games, it was a ton of fun and pretty hilarious. Also extremely good cinematography for a comedy film. 

Red Sparrow was pretty decent, a lot more brutal than I was expecting. And a lot more nudity, too.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - fucking amazing. But what do you expect with a cast like that and director Martin McDonagh.

Sam Rockwell is so freaking great in good movies.

Went to see Ready Player One on Wednesday, and I really enjoyed it. 

I felt trepidation during the first half an hour, as they began changing stuff from the book, but after a while, I realised I didn't care - it's still a damn good film on its own. Spotting all the little references to pop culture was really good fun, especially during the final battle - such as spotting the assault rifle from Halo being used, or the chainsaw gun from Gears of War. 

I would give it 8/10.

• Like 1

Saw that this week as well. I also enjoyed it but haven't read the book. I found that some parts where just either too easy fgoing and felt like they skipped something to forward the story faster. Nothing that breaks the movie as it was entertaining on its own. I would give it a small 7/10 because of that. 

Also, spotting references was half the experience. Really well done.

Also, spotting references was half the experience. Really well done.

Thank you. I'm pretty proud of myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bob said:

Thank you. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I didn't.. I mean.. you don't.. but.. Okay, sure. :p

• Haha 2

Super Troopers 2. Hilarious. Go watch it. If you like the first one at all you’ll enjoy the second. I don’t think it fully captures what made the first such a cult classic but it really doesn’t need to capture that. 

Edit @bob The chainsaw gun is a Lancer. So I guess not really that good a job on the references :p

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

john-wick-3-promo-poster-450x600.png

“We want, not so much to go bigger on the third one, but to show you more of the intricacies of the world… I feel like there are all these different subtleties that I skipped over in Number Two, that I’d like to go back to on [chapter three] and show you the inner workings of different parts of New York. So rather than massive set pieces, I’d like to show you cooler and more intricate ones… I think it would be a mistake budget wise and creatively to just go big and blow up a freeway. That’s not our gig. That’s a comic book or a Bond gig. We want to show you cool and intricate details. What are those little details in everyday life? Hopefully – we make people look at garbage collectors and cleaner vans and homeless people a little differently now.”

Simply can't wait for this. The first 2 are some of the best action films I have ever seen. 

Get Out was great. This should be gooooood:

TjJJw26_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 3

billandted1-600x414.jpg

'Bill & Ted Face the Music' is actually happening, some 29 years after the duo's first excellent adventure.
It's official: Wyld Stallyns are reforming. 

Following 1989's Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and 1991's Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, The Hollywood Reporter can reveal that a much-discussed third Bill & Ted installment – Bill & Ted Face the Music – is now firmly in the works some 27 years later. Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter are set to reprise their iconic roles as time-traveling metalheads "Ted" Theodore Logan and "Bill" S. Preston Esq.

Original creators Chris Matheson (Imagine That) and Ed Solomon (Men in Black, Mosaic, Now You See Me) have penned the script, with Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest, Red 2, Fun With Dick and Jane) confirmed to direct. Scott Kroopf (Limitless) will produce together with Alex Lebovici and Steve Ponce of Hammerstone Studios, with Steven Soderbergh serving as an executive producer alongside Scott Fischer, John Ryan Jr. and John Santilli.

MGM owns the rights to the film and will release it in the U.S. under its Orion Pictures banner. Bloom is handling international sales, which commenced in Cannes where the project is likely to be one of the buzziest films in the market, Endeavor Content negotiated the deal.

Currently in preproduction, Bill & Ted Face the Music will see the duo long past their days as time-traveling teenagers and now weighed down by middle age and the responsibilities of family. They’ve written thousands of tunes, but they have yet to write a good one, much less the greatest song ever written. With the fabric of time and space tearing around them, a visitor from the future warns our heroes that only their song can save life as we know it. Out of luck and fresh out of inspiration, Bill and Ted set out on a time travel adventure to seek the song that will set their world right and bring harmony in the universe as we know it. Together with the aid of their daughters, a new crop of historical figures, and some sympathetic music legends, they find much, much more than just a song.

giphy.gif

I adore the original films and look forward to seeing if they can pull this comeback off. The second films ending never fails to give me goosebumps. It's Steve Vai's intro that pumps me up.

• Thanks 1
  • Weird 1