NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

It's actually Daniel Radcliffe. He's desperate so needs to advertise his movies where he can. 

Speaking of Jungle films, Jumanji is actually really good. Jack Black and Karen Gillan are great.

I went to see The Greatest Showman. It's pretty good. The pacing and plot are a bit off, and they spend too long focusing on Barnums wife and daughters, but the songs and choreography are really good. I've had the songs in my head all week. I'd give it 7/10.

2 hours ago, Cube said:

Speaking of Jungle films, Jumanji is actually really good. Jack Black and Karen Gillan are great.

I really want to believe you (I don't), but I don't think I'll ever forgive you for the "The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back" line. There's hype and then there's that. Jumanji looks like trash.

I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the new Jumanji. Mostly that it’s just a fun movie that you can sit back and enjoy.

21 hours ago, bob said:

I went to see The Greatest Showman. It's pretty good. The pacing and plot are a bit off, and they spend too long focusing on Barnums wife and daughters, but the songs and choreography are really good. I've had the songs in my head all week. I'd give it 7/10.

I don't listen to much music...yet the songs felt like they were a bit generic. They kept reminding me of other songs.Although it is possible that it's actually the constant trailers I've seen of it from watching other films that I'm thinking of.

And @Fierce_LiNk, Jumanji isn't "the best ever" or anything like that - just a ton of fun. (And The Last Jedi and Empire Strikes Back are definitely close). 

I don't listen to much music...yet the songs felt like they were a bit generic. They kept reminding me of other songs.Although it is possible that it's actually the constant trailers I've seen of it from watching other films that I'm thinking of.

And [mention=5]Fierce_LiNk[/mention], Jumanji isn't "the best ever" or anything like that - just a ton of fun. (And The Last Jedi and Empire Strikes Back are definitely close). 
That's actually what I thought when watching it, but after a few days listening to the soundtrack I've changed my mind. I'm not saying it's brilliant, but enough to raise my score from average to quite good.

I wonder if the deleted scenes will have her die a lot.

Anyway, it's that time of the year again.. I bought 40 film tickets. For now.

tiger.png

Edited by Sméagol

12 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Anyway, it's that time of the year again.. I bought 40 film tickets. For now.

Do you not have a subscription service where you are?

2 hours ago, Cube said:

Do you not have a subscription service where you are?

We do, and I have one. And it's most likely better than what you have (it's vastly superior to what they have in the US).

But yes, this is for an upcoming film festival. I'll post updates when it actually starts.

Ah, a film festival makes a lot more sense.

I'm curious what your cinema subscription pass offers. The Cineworld one lets you book online and in advance (something the US one doesn't do), as well as special events (early screenings) and discounts for other stuff (like Pizza Hut).

On 20/01/2018 at 4:47 PM, Cube said:

Ah, a film festival makes a lot more sense.

I'm curious what your cinema subscription pass offers. The Cineworld one lets you book online and in advance (something the US one doesn't do), as well as special events (early screenings) and discounts for other stuff (like Pizza Hut).

There are 2 here that I know of. The one I have is called Cineville. It's not tied to a particular chain, rather it's a subscription service that applies to various (mostly independent) cinemas. It's 20 euros a month. I can make reservations in general, though if and how and when depends on the cinema. I rarely need to as I rarely go to screenings that risk being sold out. But there are few restrictive terms. I still have to pay an additional fee for 3D usually, but that's rarely a problem as I generally don't watch 3D films in the cinemas I go to using that subscription. I can pretty much go to all regular screenings as much as I want. It's pretty flexible as the cinemas themselves can decide what special screening you can and can't use your subscription for, but the cinemas who have joined generally embrace it. Basically, if it's just a screening of a film, chances are you can use your subscription, regardless whether it's part of the regular programming or some special screening. If it's more elaborate, than you can't, though often you still get a discount. To give you a few examples, pretty much my favourite cinema in Rotterdam has a screening of pan's Labyrinth when The shape of water releases. That's at no extra cost. Oh but this looks cool: a screening of Metropolis.. But with live music. Techno music even. By techno veteran Jeff Mills. I've got to pay for that, but I get a discount. And last year I paid 5 euros for a special advance screening of The big sick, with Kumail Nanjiani and his real wife present for a Q&A. But yeah, it's flexible, and it depends on the cinema and the context. I've paid over 300 euros for those festival tickets, but there are plenty of smaller festivals I go to where I can also simply use my subscription. It feels great watching 20-30 films in little over a week for 20 euros. At those times, it actually feels like I'm robbing them or something.

That said, most of the cinemas who accept the Cineville card, are less commercial than the bigger chains, so I'm a bit dependent on their programming. Fortunately, I live near the 2nd largest city of The Netherlands, and have several cinemas to choose from, and together they show almost everything I'd possibly want to see (and there's always the option to go to Amsterdam). For the few things they don't, I'll go to the biggest chain here (Pathé) and buy the tickets for those few films I'll see there, like the upcoming Marvel films. That biggest chain actually has the other subscription service, which mostly works the same. 20 euros a month I believe, for all the regular screenings, and 25 euros with no additional fees for Imax / 3D / Dolby Atmos / Vision. And you can buy tickets online. If I had more money to spare, I would get that subscription as well, but I get much more mileage from my Cineville.

Coco was great. A heartwarming story and a really cool setting.

The Commuter was fine. Intruiging story and decent action.

Coco was great. A heartwarming story and a really cool setting.

Was it as miserable as the last few Pixar films?

I used to love their films, but all of them since Up have ended up being more sad than enjoyable.

It has some sad and emotional moments (and some parts can be either funny or upsetting based on your personal experience), but overall I'd say that the setting of it (and the Mexican views of the afterlife) makes it so it doesn't seem like a miserable film.

• Like 1

Just watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

Absolutely loved it. Pure entertainment on every level. Nothing more, nothing less.

Finally saw Coco (for free when it should have been something like £38 for two tickets) and it was amazing.  I loved it.  So sweet, heartbreaking, funny and such a fantastic use of colour.  It made me want some device to play Ultra HD blu-rays (or whatever we're calling 4K blu-rays) for when its out.

I loved Coco. Although I tend to rate movies on a scale of 'how much did it make me cry', which was a lot in this case.

Plus it reminded me of Grim Fandango, which is one of my favorite games ever.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Finally saw Coco (for free when it should have been something like £38 for two tickets) and it was amazing.  I loved it.  So sweet, heartbreaking, funny and such a fantastic use of colour.  It made me want some device to play Ultra HD blu-rays (or whatever we're calling 4K blu-rays) for when its out.

I've been looking into getting a 4K blu ray player for a while but they're still really expensive. They're £200 at the very cheapest (and that's for the supposedly poor quality player in the Xbox One S) and to get a really good one can be at least double that. It's annoying because I wanted to get one to watch Star Wars when it comes out but I suppose I'll have to hope they sell it digitally in 4K.

On that note does anyone know of any UK services that sell films in 4K? iTunes is the only one I know of but it's impossible to watch them on a TV unless you have the very expensive Apple TV 4K. 

Edited by killthenet

Unless something has changed I don’t believe Disney has embraced 4K for its movies (outside of possibly Marvel?)

There are a few digital services but I think they mostly require streaming and 4K is pretty bandwidth intensive. 

Sony has a specific service but I think it’s exclusive to their TVs. I think UltraViolent might do 4K as well but I’m not sure.