NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Spoiler

You're right, Roy Batty was way more interesting than Decard, which was why it was dumb that so little time was spent with him in the film . I'd also say the replicants' efforts to find a way to prolong their life was a bit myeh story wise compared to the politics of reproduction in humans/replicants/AI in 2049.

I loved the tension with K's identity in this one. His relationship with Joi was almost a side plot, existing to build him as a character rather than propel the story forward. One neat touch was the advert for Joi which read: 'She says what you want to hear,' or something along those lines. Throughout the film she repeatedly convinces K that he's special, that he's the replicant child, and while K clearly has an awareness that Joi is a program designed for pleasure, he chooses to buy into her statements on that. So when he discovers that he isn't the replicant child it's especially heartbreaking, because there's a strong hint of denial on his part.

At the same time it raises the question about his relationship with Decard - even though K had no heriditary connection to Decard, he still felt moved enough to help him. There is some emotional recognition between the two, yet K's just left to die outside because there isn't that essential genetic bond. It seems cruel and senseless that such a thing as biology should matter so much, and yet it's a powerful, undeniable instinct we all share.

The scene where Joi's giant hologram refers to K by the name of 'Joe' was soul-crushing and breathtaking. (After her personal data with K has been destroyed, it's just a bit of a kick in the teeth that 'Joe' is merely a preset name chosen by the product)

Generally, the co-existence of old and futuristic technology was captured as well as it was in the original. Fucking exceptional vibes.

Basically I want to see it again.

@Fierce_LiNk

Edited by dwarf

Saw Murder on the Orient Express last night.

It was pretty good. I enjoyed it, but it probably would have been sufficient watching it on a Sunday evening from the sofa.

The ending turned out to be quite farcical though. Honestly, the scene where they were all in that tiny train carriage lining up to stab him made me laugh out loud. Pretty ridiculous, but it was really one of the only outcomes that made a good twist and wouldn't make the ending flop like a lame detective.

Anyway, I award the film 6 bobs/10.

Mental:

Looks amazing. Although I'm thinking someone must have cloned the Rock at some point, how is he in every film ever?
  • Haha 1

What the fuck did I just see?

I'm gonna watch that when it hits Netflix. Definitely! Funny thing, I never realised that the two other animals were a wolf and a crocodile. Just thought they were.. something not real.

Edited by MindFreak

I just watched The Game and I have no idea how I feel about it.

It has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen with quite possibly the worst conclusion to a story that I have ever experienced. ::shrug: I think I don't like it...and that's coming from a guy who likes mind fuck movies.

I just watched The Game and I have no idea how I feel about it.
It has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen with quite possibly the worst conclusion to a story that I have ever experienced. ::shrug: I think I don't like it...and that's coming from a guy who likes mind fuck movies.
Godammit you just made me lose.

Not lost The Game for about 4 years before that.

Just watched Triangle.

Supposed to be a psychological horror thriller but it wasn't actually that scary. And that's coming from a guy who is a real pussy when it comes to the horror genre :D

Anyway, I loved the movie. It's a real mind fuck, which is exactly why I enjoyed it. Some scenes felt a little low budget but it didn't really matter. The premise made for a gripping experience with pretty good acting.

• Like 1

Just watched Triangle.

Supposed to be a psychological horror thriller but it wasn't actually that scary. And that's coming from a guy who is a real pussy when it comes to the horror genre

Anyway, I loved the movie. It's a real mind fuck, which is exactly why I enjoyed it. Some scenes felt a little low budget but it didn't really matter. The premise made for a gripping experience with pretty good acting.

I love that movie!

I've watched all of the MCU movies excluding Thor Ragnorak and here's my vote from best to worst:

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America: Civil War

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Avengers Assemble

Thor

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Ant-man

Spider-man Homecoming

Thor: The Dark World

Doctor Strange

Captain America: The First Avenger

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3/Avengers: Age of Ultron (hated them both)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Apparently Disney is close to buying Fox.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

Which would make the X-men joining the MCU a real possibility. Personally I actually don't want that to happen, I kind of like them separate. The X-men universe alone would add tons of characters to an already packed MCU. I also like how Fox has started to experiment a little with things like Logan, and I don't see them doing something like that within the MCU at the moment. They also simply won't integrate easily within the MCU storyline.. They'd both need reboots. Which would probably be easier for X-men (they've never been consistent anyway), they could simply reboot it like they did with Spider-man, but it would have a major impact on the MCU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Apparently Disney is close to buying Fox.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/05/disney-and-fox-are-closing-in-on-deal-could-be-announced-next-week--sources.html

Which would make the X-men joining the MCU a real possibility. Personally I actually don't want that to happen, I kind of like them separate. The X-men universe alone would add tons of characters to an already packed MCU. I also like how Fox has started to experiment a little with things like Logan, and I don't see them doing something like that within the MCU at the moment. They also simply won't integrate easily within the MCU storyline.. They'd both need reboots. Which would probably be easier for X-men (they've never been consistent anyway), they could simply reboot it like they did with Spider-man, but it would have a major impact on the MCU.

To further this point: FOX have been the ones streamlining themselves for a Disney purchase, and have been courting Disney just as much as Disney have them, which seems to have pushed Comcast away, and with the negotiations going on for at least over a month now, we could see this all wrapped up by the end of the year.

Whilst I’m sure that the FOX deal isn’t much more than Disney flexing their financial muscle to bolster their streaming service line-up, it could have pretty massive ramifications on the near future of film.

As @Sméagol rightly said, the biggest ramifications of this in film will probably be in the MCU: this would give Disney the movie rights to the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and Deadpool, amongst others. It would also give them potential major Avengers villains such as Kang, Galactus, etc., which would definitely help give Phase 4 of the MCU even more of a direction.

Honestly, I do want to see them involved, but of course the extent of their inclusion and the storylines must depend massively on the events of Avengers 4: the board could be cleared to give others an opportunity to step up. At the very least, Marvel Studios would do a great job with the Fantastic Four, and I could see some post-credits scene in Deadpool 2 which has him moved from one movie universe to another (imagine the commentary on this!). Definitely something to keep an eye on, but I’m very intrigued by where this could point the MCU, or the new routes it could open up for them.

Perhaps some early outlines for Phase 4 even includes these characters already, considering that there were two versions of Civil War outlined: one with and one without Spidey.

It could also be interesting, though, as FOX have the rights to Star Wars: A New Hope in perpetuity, and have the rights of the other films, to some extent, for a few more years still. Whilst I highly doubt that this would happen - I’m sure George Lucas added a clause to the sale which prevented a rerelease of the original cuts of the films, probably alongside a clause which meant that they couldn’t touch the prequels - it’s certainly a possibility, at the very least.

Guess we’ve just got to wait and see in the meanwhile, but don’t be surprised if this is completed (and possibly even announced) by New Year’s Day.

Looks pretty bad....

....but dinosaurs...

Curbyourenthusiam.gif

Watched Hell House LLC last night as my missus always seems to be in the mood for a horror. Found footage, yawn...here we go again. 

But I actually really enjoyed this one. Was actually pretty scary and I’m not easily scared by movies. Didn’t quite get its ending right and there were the usual tropes that blight found footage films but not nearly as bad as other ones I’ve watched  

It’s on Amazon Prime if anyone is looking for a decent horror film and wants to check it out. 

Recommended. 

But what else do we know about him? What's his second name?
Where is he from?