NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Went to see Testament of Youth today. Great acting, filmed amazingly, loved the visuals, but bloody hell it was emotional! The trailer didn't make it out to be quite that tough.

After 11 days of watching films, here are my favourites:

Reality (Inception but with bizarre French humour)

Laggies (comedy with Keira Knightly, Chloe Grace Moretz and Sam Rockwell, not getting a cinema release in The Netherlands)

Guns and talks (old South-Korean crime comedy)

Frank (comedy with Michael Fassbender, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Domhnall Gleeson, about a band where the leadsinger keeps a mask on at all times)

Still Alice (drama with Julianne Moore and Alec Baldwin, about a woman with Alzheimer)

And my number 1 favourite

No men beyond this point (hilarious mockumentary about a society where men are on the verge of going extinct)

But these are also films I found enjoyable:

La la la at rock bottom (Japanese crime comedy about a gangster with memory loss who starts singing)

The kingdom of dreams and madness (Ghibli documentary)

Life itself (Roger Ebert documentary)

Cosmodrama (French sci-fi in 60s style)

Magical girl (Spanish drama about a man who blackmails a woman to get money for his sich daughter)

NN (Peruvian (?) drama about a forensic detective who tries to determine the identity of a body from the 80s)

When Marnie was there (latest and perhaps final Ghibli)

A girl walks home alone at night (Iranian vampire film with style)

And for those interested, here's my [complete list].

The few non-festival films I've seen this year so far:

Black coal

A Chinese drama about an ex-detective trying to solve an old murder case, I thought it was pretty good.

The theory of everything

You all know this one. Stunning performances by the two leads. Watching Eddie Redmayne "walk" was uncomfortable and very convincing.

What we do in the shadows

Mockumentary about vampires in New Zealand, and every cliche will be thrown at you. Not super hilarious, but funny nonetheless.

John Wick

Revenge action film with Keanu Reeves. Not a film I´d normally decide to go to myself, but I heard good things about it. Some nice action and choreography, overall pretty bad-ass, but I wouldn't say exceptional. Some prefer this one over the similar The equalizer, but I think I prefer that one.

Films I´m (probably) seeing in the near future:

Birdman, The imitation game, Inherent vice, Foxcatcher, Big eyes, A most violent year, Turist, Kingsman, the secret service, Jupiter ascending and Big hero 6.

If I have the time, I'll make a film 2014 topic and list all the films I've seen and highlight my recommendations.

...Frank (comedy with Michael Fassbender, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Domhnall Gleeson, about a band where the leadsinger keeps a mask on at all times)...

And here's the Legend in action in his home village, which is my home village too.

And here's the Legend in action in his home village, which is my home village too.

Ah, thanks for that, I was wondering what the person the character was based on was like (but never bothered to Google it :rolleyes:). Funny to see the mask is definitely based on the real thing, but the character looks very different from the original.. Music sounds different as well.

A statue of him was put up in Timperley, just across the road from my old local...

CAA14EE6-E8A8-4947-A98C-68DD5A53111D_zpsmggoyc3k.jpg

Right February so far has been an awesome month for me in terms of watching movies.

Dumb and Dumber To

Was scared to watch this as I love the first one so much. It's of course nowhere near as good, but it did leave me giggling alot. Basically I'm not disappointed it was made and would happily watch it again.

A Million Ways to die in the west

Loved it, Simply put. Charlize Theron was smoking hot in this. Enjoyed the cameos from other movies too.

Edge of Tomorrow

Really enjoyed it, alot better than I had expected. From his latest SciFi Flicks Tom Cruise is doing well in my eyes (this and Oblivion).

The Interview

Don't get why Korea flipped out over it. Team America and South park the movie were more offensive in terms of making dictators look like assholes. Entertaining film though which did make me laugh a fair amount.

Sin City A Dame to Kill For

Pretty boring start, but picked up. Nothing compared to the first film though. Also Lady Gaga's inclusion was a bit of false hype really wasn't it? Thought she'd have more than 4 lines for all the "Staring Lady Gaga" ads.

The Guardians of the Galaxy

What do I need to say, Awesome film. 1st time I've watched this since the cinema.

The Inbetweeners 2

Nowhere near as good as the first one, however the race on the water slides at the water park had me in stitches. Best part of the film, but it's an easy to watch, waste time on a lazy day film.

Horrible Bosses 2

Pretty unnecessary sequel. But of course it's money. Jennifer Aniston again is incredibly hot in this. So that's something I guess. Chris Pine was pretty awesome in it too actually thinking about it. Yeah not a bad film.

Film count for 2015 so far:13

January: Birdman, Big Hero 6, Nightcrawler, Foxcatcher, American Sniper

February: The films listed above :)

I went through my ticket stubs, reconstructing my lists for 2014 and 2013. Pretty complete, although there are a few films missing. Complete lists below, but here are my favourites:

Favourites 2014

Only lovers left alive imdb

Finsterworld imdb

Fantail imdb

Han Gong-Ju imdb trailer

Once upon a time in Shanghai imdb

The Lego movie imdb

Captain America: the winter soldier imdb

The grand Budapest hotel imdb

Coherence imdb

Edge of tomorrow imdb

Dawn of the planet of the apes imdb

Boyhood imdb

Guardians of the galaxy imdb

A most wanted man imdb

The apology king imdb trailer

Locke imdb

Whiplash imdb

Favourites 2013

Sightseers imdb

Ginger & Rosa imdb trailer

Halley imdb

No imdb

De ontmaagding van Eva van End imdb

The grandmaster imdb

Trance imdb

Silver linings playbook imdb

Gravity imdb

Prince avalanche imdb

Short term 12 imdb

La grande belleza imdb

Frozen imdb

Nymphomaniac I / Nymphomaniac II ♥♥♥

The congress

Much ado about nothing ♥♥

Only lovers left alive

The secret life of Walter Mitty ♥♥

Sevent code ♥♥

Oktober November ♥♥♥

Trap street ♥♥

Pelo malo ♥♥♥

Canopy ♥♥

Canibal

R100

Finsterworld

Jacky au royaume des filles

La cueva ♥♥

Rough cut ♥♥♥♥

The reunion ♥♥

After the tone ♥♥♥♥

I'm the same, I'm the other ♥♥♥

Darkness by day ♥♥♥

Fantail

Costa de morte ♥♥

Rigor Mortis

To kill a man ♥♥♥

Fish and cat ♥♥

Viktoria ♥♥♥

Heli ♥♥♥

Secretly greatly

Edén ♥♥♥

Han Gong-Ju

Die Frau des Polizisten ♥♥♥

Kamera obskura ♥♥♥♥

Blutgletcher

L'amour c'est une crime pafait ♥♥

Mysterious object at noon ♥♥♥

Die Frau hinter der Wand

How to disappear completely ♥♥

Enemy

Tamako in mortuarium ♥♥

Au revoir a l'été

Real ♥♥♥

Once upon a time in Shanghai

The Lego movie

Gravity

Her

12 years a slave

American Hustler ♥♥

Die andere Heimat ♥♥

Miele ♥♥

Captain America: the winter soldier

The grand Budapest hotel

Snowpiercer

The zero theorem ♥♥

Coherence

La belle et la bête

Oculus ♥♥

The amazing Spider-man 2 ♥♥

The wind rises

Godzilla ♥♥♥

X-men: days of future past

Blue ruin

Starred up ♥♥

Edge of tomorrow

The rover

Tracks ♥♥

Deux jours, une nuit ♥♥

The double

How to train your dragon 2

Dawn of the planet of the apes

The two faces of January

Zwei Leben ♥♥♥

Fading Gigolo ♥♥

Boyhood

Guardians of the galaxy

Nebraska ♥♥

Lucy ♥♥

Chef

Sin sity: a dame to kill for

Magic in the moonlight ♥♥

Maps to the stars ♥♥

A most wanted man

If I stay

The equalizer

Dorsvloer vol confetti ♥♥

Nena

The clouds of Sils Maria ♥♥♥♥

The tale of princess Kaguya

The maze runner ♥♥♥

The snow white murder case

Live ♥♥♥

Greatful dead

Leaving on the 15th spring

The apology king

Friendship ♥♥

Jossy's

High kick angels

Uzumasa limelight

Why don't you play in hell?

Kreuzweg ♥♥

The boxtrolls

Gone girl

The trip to Italy ♥♥♥

20000 days on Earth ♥♥

Winter sleep ♥♥♥

Blind

A wolf at the door ♥♥♥

Gemma Bovery ♥♥

Locke

Interstellar

The drop

The skeleton twins ♥♥

The hunger games: mockingjay ♥♥

Under the skin

Wild tales

Whiplash

The disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: him / The disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: her ♥♥

Leviathan

Mommy ♥♥

I origins

The voices ♥♥

The Hobbit: battle of the five armies ♥♥♥♥

Still life

Nightcrawler

The salvation ♥♥

Coming home

The hobbit: an unexpected journey

Jagten

Sightseers

Seven psychopaths

Après mai ♥♥

4 ways to die in my hometown ♥♥♥

Modest reception

The master ♥♥♥

Ginger & Rosa

The day Mishima chose his own faith ♥♥♥

Wasteland

Halley

Drug war

Noche ♥♥♥

Errors of the human body ♥♥♥

Mater Dolorosa ♥♥

No

Frankenstein’s army ♥♥

Dummy Jim ♥♥

Oh boy

De ontmaagding van Eva van End

Pieta

Lesson of the evil ♥♥

Me too ♥♥

The delivery guy ♥♥

Berberian soundstudio ♥♥

Leones ♥♥

In the fog ♥♥

Comrade Kim goes flying

Rhino season ♥♥

Lore

A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman

The complex ♥♥

Longing for the rain ♥♥

Shanghai ♥♥♥

Blancanieves

The imposter ♥♥♥

Amour

Cheerful weather for the wedding ♥♥♥

Django unchained ♥♥

Io e te ♥♥♥

Matterhorn

Broken

Byzantium

Ghost graduation

Mars et Avril ♥♥

More than honey ♥♥

Spring breakers ♥♥♥

Hitchcock ♥♥

Song for Marion ♥♥

The deep ♥♥

Night train to Lisbon ♥♥

The grandmaster

L'écume des jours

Oblivion ♥♥

Trance

Los amantes pasajeros ♥♥♥♥

Star Trek into darkness ♥♥♥

Frances Ha

Die Wand

Ginger & Rosa

The iceman

Pacific rim ♥♥

Disconnect ♥♥

The bling ring ♥♥

Safety not guaranteed

Kapringen ♥♥♥

Metéora

Halley

Silver linings playbook

Argo

Now you see me ♥♥

This is the end ♥♥♥

Mud

Blue Jasmin

Le passé ♥♥

Before midnight ♥♥

Lovelace ♥♥

Stories we tell

Borgman ♥♥

The land of hope ♥♥♥

Tenchi: the samurai astronomer

Aura

Kick-ass 2

El espíritu de la colmena ♥♥

Evangelion 3.0: you can (not) redo

Gatchaman ♥♥♥

The kirishima thing

The life of Budori Gusuko

Professor Layton and the eternal diva

After school midnighters

About time ♥♥

Don Jon ♥♥

Gravity

Iris ♥♥

Prince avalanche

De nieuwe wildernis

Jimmy P. ♥♥

Love & Fungi

La vie d'Adéle ♥♥

Michael Kohlhaas ♥♥

Short term 12

What Maisie knew ♥♥

Machete kills ♥♥

Thor: the dark world

The hunger games

The hunger games: catching fire

Prisoners

The young and prodigous T.S. Spivet ♥♥♥

Rush ♥♥

Het diner ♥♥

La grande belleza

Like father, like son

Grand central ♥♥♥

Tanta agua ♥♥

Inside Llewyn Davis

Ne me quitte pas ♥♥♥

The lunchbox ♥♥

Metropolis ♥♥

Silver linings playbook

Upside down ♥♥♥♥

Warm bodies ♥♥

The Hobbit: the desolation of Smaug ♥♥

Frozen

Samsara ♥♥

The hobbit: the desolation of Smaug

[Everest trailer]

The story itself doesn't get me really excited. I'm slightly interested, but not excited. But I like Jake Gyllenhaal, and supposedly, this is one of the few real 3D films, so I'll probably catch this one.

Crap I missed this. This is in the cinema I volunteer in..

10603753_917055614984579_1677528429998164241_n.jpg?oh=f92e6a3c87635da23446c3a0bc5bee78&oe=5602BDFD

Just seen Terminator Genisys. Overall, it's not a bad movie. Much better than the one we should forget (Salvation)

They simply wrote out the entire original trilogy right at the start, the resistance found the machine that sends back Terminators to the past (Skynet had just sent back the T-101 that features in the original movie after John Connor and co had raided the facility) after they had shut down Skynet at the core. So as they do, they send Kyle Reese back to live out the events of the 1st movie. But they had the evil T-101 face against the good T-101 (both Schwarzenegger) right at the start when he arrived. And had Sarah (Emily Clarke) kill the evil T-101 and melt the body down. Basically wiping out the entire original Trilogy, but there were a few segments including the hobo in the alley, the sports store etc. As they've said, this is the start of a new trilogy.

There are many nods to the original 3, including what i've said above with the 1st movie, and they had the T-1000 (the alloy metal one) from Judgement Day and they mentioned Miles Dyson and showed his son (whom created the Genisys program). The main bad guy this time around, is John Connor himself (he got killed when Reese came back to 1984) and replaced by a new Terminator. Whom is Skynets last resort, and intending to make sure the Genisys program runs on schedule.

The biggest part of this movie is that Schwarzenegger lives at the end, yes he lives and gets an upgrade to the liquid metal skin thus reducing his age.

I do advise to sit and watch the credits as well.

Cave Jonnas, here.

I feel obligated to inform you that we here at J-E enterprises are not affiliated or have anything to do with that film. Any and all similarities are coincidence and/or plagiarism. From their part, of course.

You see, whereas that film seems to have sharks and disintegrating floors, we had Rummy as Black Dynamite. I rest my case.

Cave Jonnas, we're done here.

Oh. My. God.

... You can already tell it's going to be a "so near, yet so far" experience. It'll be neat with twists but... over-emphasis on action and a stupid ending that will be impossible to predict.

I don't get where you get the "so near" part. It looks terrible.

.. So who's going to watch this just to make a mafia game about it? :p

(absolutely no one, that's who)

Out of fucking nowhere:

Although apparently it isn't a direct sequel.. Nonetheless, I'm excited.

Figured it was worth posting here.

The actor portraying a young Cyclops in the upcoming X-Men Apocalypse film, Tye Sheridan, has been cast as the lead (Wade Owen Watts/Parzival) for Spielberg's rendition of Ready Player One.

The last movie I watched was The Schindler's list. It's a masterpiece! I was very impressed.

Yeah, but it's not like shoes or anything.

Been doing some thinking and talking with some friends about who the next James Bond should be, and after rewatching First Class, I have to admit that Michael Fassbender would be perfect for the role.

For me, Henry Cavill has a lot on his plate already, playing Superman, and the guy is MASSIVE - not exactly Bond-esque, and not something hell easily be able to transition between. Idris Elba, though I'd love to see, would undoubtedly cause an uproar, in a larger version of the Black Stormtrooper debate about John Boyega's Finn (which was stupid anyway, clearly weren't real SW fans if they thought that was wrong). I'd like for him to portray a friend or ally of Bond's though, perhaps another agent. Tom Hardy is pretty big too, and personally I think he'd be a great villain for Bond to face off against.

I've heard Tom Huddlestones name being bandied about, which would be interesting, but I agree about Fassbender - he'd be great. I personally wouldn't mind someone completely out of left field too though.

Saw this trailer yesterday:

Which looks like my favourite film ever.

Edit: I initially meant Tom Hiddleston, but thinking about it, having Hull midfielder Tom Huddlestone as Bond would be really fucking interesting.

Edited by 130131301364

I must say, I'm looking forward to these two films more than any other I even know of!

The BFG looks really good - can't wait for that. The cartoon was one of my favourites when i was little. I'm interested to see how Mark Rylance does compared to David Jason.

The Jungle Book is a weird one. Initially it looked great. Then i saw the cast list and thought it looked incredible; Idris Elba, Scarlett Johansson, Christopher Fucking Walken, Bill Murray, Gandhi.

But then i watched that trailer, and a lot of the voices.... don't really go. Elba doesn't really pull off powerful tiger, and Johansson as a snake sounds bizarre. The oddest one has to be Walken as king of the swingers - he just doesn't fit. Hopefully i'll get used to it during the film though, as the animation looks fantastic.