NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Went to see How To Train Your Dragon 2, had been looking forward to it for ages and was not in the least bit disappointed, in fact it comfortably cleared my expectations. There's a lot of movie crammed into an hour and half, plenty of great action and strong emotional moments. Cinema was about half-full with kids and it kept their attention fairly consistently, which is impressive give the level the movie was occasionally operating at.

Hmm, my sister said it was really disappointing. Now I don't know what to think.

Somebody tell me what to think!

It's one of the best animated films I've ever seen. Somehow better than the first. Somehow better than The LEGO Movie, which I did not expect to be bested this year. It's a fucking joy.

Really? It looked like something you wouldn't regret dismissing immediately. I've been a little wary of non Disney animated films ever since I got burned on Despicable Me which was just such a pile of trash.

Might watch it tonight then.

Also, anyone know if Saving Mr. Banks is any good?

Also, anyone know if Saving Mr. Banks is any good?

It's perfectly fine if you don't expect anything more than a Boxing Day movie.

Ha. Fools.

How To Train Your Dragon is a series with a constantly evolving status quo and dramatic character changes and character arcs. It's character designs are great and it's characters are not overly cliched (which is obviously a triumph for big Hollywood animations). It's a fantastic series. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded and should be brushed aside.

It's perfectly fine if you don't expect anything more than a Boxing Day movie.

So...just watch Mary Poppins again?

Any love for Boyhood?

Concise, cliff notes summary: it's shot over 12 years in real time, 10-20 minutes a year as a kid grows up in Texas, by the chap who directed Before Midnight / School of Rock / Dazed and Confused.

boyhood.jpg

boyhood-1.png

elle-boyhood-h-lgn.jpg

Plot is secondary, it's more generally about with the cumulative effect of time passing, but it kind of adds up to something beautiful, true to life, all the cast visibly ageing / maturing / the like.

I'd be interested in reactions on here is anyone's seen it, considering a lot of us are of the same age, perhaps a little older, as the main character, so that the general vibes of each year ring true. 1901 was so my song of 2009. Plus, half of the major signifiers of time passing are the video games that Mason is playing throughout the film. Lingering shots of the SP in the kids hands make me feel like an old man.

Anyway. Between this and FNL in the TV thread I think that's enough gushing for the next few months. Go see it!!

For the record, I really liked How to train your dragon 2. I think this is actually the very first time I went to see a western non-Pixar 3D animation in a cinema.

Any love for Boyhood?

[..]

Looking forward to it, probably going to see it this weekend.

I'm gonna see Boyhood on Thursday. Might also see Guardians this week even though I'm nowhere near as excitable as others here over superhero/comic shizzle.

Does anyone have the lowdown on whether Hercules is as shit as I suspect it might be? I kind of want to see it.

Really hype on Boyhood doe, Before Midnight, Sunrise and Sunset were such great films.

Does anyone have the lowdown on whether Hercules is as shit as I suspect it might be? I kind of want to see it.

Really hype on Boyhood doe, Before Midnight, Sunrise and Sunset were such great films.

It's nothing special, but it's not terrible, either. Just your standard action-adventure popcorn flick, with a bit of a twist on your standard Hercules story. Only an hour and a half long so it doesn't drag either. The Rock is decent in it, as is John Hurt. If the ticket is cheap and you're just looking for a bit of fun, it's worth it.

Totally share your hype on Boyhood though, going to see it tomorrow night :)

What fresh hell is this?

It’s lingered in development limbo and the rumour void. Script drafts, concepts and potential talent have come and gone and yet despite Sony’s best efforts, Ghostbusters 3 has proved a stubborn mule of a film. Now comes the latest movement, an intriguing combo of word that Bridesmaids director Paul Feig is the favourite choice to write and shoot the film and that it would be a reboot that focuses on a female team of spirit-chasing characters.

While the idea of rebooting the original film still feels like a bad one – it’s really not a movie that ever needs a redo – this is a much more interesting idea than simply having Dan Aykroyd and his surviving colleagues handing the proton packs over to ‘buster-alike younger actors for a new film that carries on the story. It also opens up fresh avenues and ideas and Feig’s not a bad call to oversee that, given his success working with actresses such as Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.

Plus the chance to showcase some of the funniest females working in Hollywood today is one that has all sorts of possibilities. We know that Emma Stone previously considered yet passed on a role in a third film; could she be tempted back? Who would you cast if the studio has to go ahead with the idea at all?

Do not want.

Regarding the potential Ghostbusters reboot. Big no no from me, i would not watch it.

Saw Boyhood last week, neglected to post so far (I also didn´t see it earlier, because I was under the impression it was already out here, but it openened 31-07). Boyhood was awesome, and definitely going to be amongst my 2014 favourites. 2014 has generally been great so far.. But Boyhood yeah. Simply something you won´t see often (if ever again) in cinema.. Seeing all those actors literally grow up, really adds to the experience. Even though it´s fiction, you´re engrossed in watching a boy grow up, more than you´d normally would with coming of age stories. Richard Linklater was fortunate with his cast, especially the kids (or at least in the beginning when they actually were kids). Not just seeing them literally grow up, but also seeing them grow as actors is incredibly fun. This will probably be the most endearing film I´ve seen this year.

Also saw Fading gigolo, a film with (not by) Woody Allen. Nice but totally forgettable. Woody pimps out out his friend John Turturro to the likes of Sharon Stone and Sofia Vergara, but then Turturro falls in love with Vanessa Paradis. Good performances, but I´d loved more comedy.

Two faces of January was pretty cool. Nice thriller, nothing fancy or complex, just a small-time conman getting caught up in the troubles of a big-time con man. With Viggo Mortensen, Oscar Isaacs, and Kirsten Dunst.

Ooh.. And next week Guardians of the galaxy.. I am giddy.

Watched Amazing Spiderman 2 this evening. Man that was disappointing. Just such a boring film. The script was so cobbled together and wank.

The only plus was Hans Zimmers score (i loved Electros theme).

Bought the Lego Movie on Blu Ray for my girlfriend's birthday and we watched it last night. Such a delightful little film.

The everything is awesome song is stuck in my head now.

Watched Oblivion just now. It has been sitting on my shelf for months now.

I am pleasantly surprised. It is a good movie. Very enjoyable and visually awesome.

I am becoming way more excited for the Big Hero 6 movie than I ever though I would. I think it might be due to my weakness for robots.

Looks like it could be seriously great though.