NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Looks good. Love that Mark Heap is in it too.

Hmm not sure yet, didn't instantly get that SotD, Hot Fuzz vibe (apart from the fence scene lol)... maybe because Pegg and Frost seem to have swapped roles for this one, and also Pegg's different look.

But yeah hopefully it turns out just as amazing!

Pub?

From the director responsible for Children Of Man - this looks really, really promising.

That looks terrifying.

And awesome.

And also it looks like 2 hours of astronauts almost grabbing hold of things, but not quite.

God DAAAYUMN, that was an exhilarating trailer. I'm interested to see if there's a lot more that their no showing in the trailer. Aliens or some shit.

Yeah there must be some sci-fi twist to it because otherwise it looks like we've pretty much seen the entire movie in that trailer. :p

And also it looks like 2 hours of astronauts almost grabbing hold of things, but not quite.

That's very specifically what I want out of this.

I went to see The Great Gatsby, first showing back on Thursday. Never read the book and had seen some poor reviews floating around but I enjoyed it immensely and I left with my suspicions confirmed that too many people just don't understand how Baz Lurhmann works. That's not to say it's perfect, despite all it's superb individual assets - great performances, fantastic soundtrack, intelligent cinematography etc. - the whole doesn't quite manage to gel together the same way some of Baz's earlier films have but it is a film that captures the dark essence of it's story with a lot of fun.

Gravity looks awesome.

The last 2 films I’ve seen were

Night train to Lisbon

Nice film, combining romance, drama, history and mystery in one package. You can see the ending coming from miles away, but I loved the story told about some people in the Portuguese revolution. Lovely international cast, although that also comes with some not so great accents unfortunately.

The grandmaster

The story of Ip man, the man who taught Bruce Lee. Directed by Wong Kar Wei. Just plain awesome. Tony Leung in raincoat with hat fighting a small army wire-fu style. All the fights are incredible. I only don’t like the frequent use of bad slo-mo (i.e. low fps slo-mo), and I’d also love to know more about the lives of Ip man and other characters, but I guess I could watch the Chinese Ip man trilogy as well.

I’ll quickly mention my favourites from the International Film festival Rotterdam a few months back:

No

Chilean film about the campaign against Pinochet, with Gael García Bernal.

Ginger and Rosa

The relationship between two girls in 60’s London, with Elle Fanning (and Christina Hendricks!).

Halley

Mexican psychological drama.. about a zombie. It really is a drama, but it has all the gore from a horror.

Modest reception

Iranian comedy / drama about a couple who hands out (big bags of) money to people.

Wasteland

British film about a group of friends who plan to rob a club.

De ontmaagding van Eva van End

Dry Dutch comedy about an unpopular girl losing her virginity and her other family members with their own problems.

Plenty other films I enjoyed as well, but these were my favourites.

Just finished the Hobbit: An unexpected journey. Visually impressive, it was surprisingly boring. I liked the LotR movies but I had trouble finishing this.

Just finished the Hobbit: An unexpected journey. Visually impressive, it was surprisingly boring. I liked the LotR movies but I had trouble finishing this.

It's actually a very dull and bland film. A monumental disappointment, as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably go to watch the second, but my expectations are vastly lower now.

I'm very much looking forward to the extended version.

I really liked The Hobbit, even more so after a 2nd viewing. I actually went to London for this film! Yeah, not as epic as LotR, but still very entertaining.

Watched The Great Gatsby last night. Unfortunately i had to go the a Vue cinema on a Tuesday, which meant i got ripped off, and then insulted as they repeatedly asked for my ticket and double checked i was sat in the correct seat. Then they had 30 mins of adverts (not even trailers) before the film. I fucking hate Vue cinemas.

Anywho, the film was good. I really like Baz's films (well the few i've seen) - his style works really well with this one. I haven't read the book so i can't comment on that, but i enjoyed the film quite a bit!

The 3D was actually surprisingly well used as well.

Basically:

- Joseph Gordon-Levitt writes, directs and stars in own film

- Casts Scarlett Johansson as love interest

- ???

- Profit

Very smoothly done, JGL.

Watched The Great Gatsby last night. Unfortunately i had to go the a Vue cinema on a Tuesday, which meant i got ripped off, and then insulted as they repeatedly asked for my ticket and double checked i was sat in the correct seat. Then they had 30 mins of adverts (not even trailers) before the film. I fucking hate Vue cinemas.

My local VUE has cheap tickets on a tuesday... ?

Only found out when I went to watch Iron Man 3 and I just had to sign a quick registration form for 'Vue Super Saver Tuesday's'.

So they're making a second Inbetweeners movie.

As if we haven't suffered enough.

Remember when JGL was just that nerdy little girl in 3rd Rock? Man, he grew up!

I have a lot of respect for him. The Hitrecord thing is a great thing that I should get more involved in but...time :(

My local VUE has cheap tickets on a tuesday... ?

Only found out when I went to watch Iron Man 3 and I just had to sign a quick registration form for 'Vue Super Saver Tuesday's'.

Aaha! We thought there was a cheap Tuesday deal, but could find any mention of it on the website - i see you have to sign up for it now. I'll try that and see. Thanks!

Aaha! We thought there was a cheap Tuesday deal, but could find any mention of it on the website - i see you have to sign up for it now. I'll try that and see. Thanks!

Yeah I didn't see it on the website when I was looking at times but when we went the guy behind the counter basically offered it to us.. I thought there was a catch but he just said stick ur name on this form, here is ur card and now you can have cheaper tickets! I was like wtf! haha.

Saw The Hangover Part III today, it was meh compared to the first two. We all know they aren't renowned for the plot, but this ones story was just poor.

Drag me to Hell was on last night, so I thought I'd give it a watch. Disappointed. I had heard in various places that it was worth watching, but it's very by the numbers and ordinary. Waste of an evening.

Grumpy Cat Gets Garfield-Like Movie Deal

More depressing news for humans who can’t get a Hollywood movie made. Grumpy Cat, the cranky-faced kitty voted Meme of the Year at the 2013 Webby Awards, has a shot at getting her famous sourpuss on the big screen.

Broken Road’s Todd Garner and Sean Robins, and Grumpy Cat’s reps (manager Ben Lashes and rep Al Hassas) have teamed up to produce and assemble a package for a Garfield-like feature film with the famous frowning feline at the center. Here, Grumpy Cat (real name Tardar Sauce) will be given the power of speech. How much movie potential can a Grumpy Cat have? Well, she has been scratching at the door of fame in a big way.

Among the indicators: Grumpy Cat was named the most influential cat of 2012 by MSNBC, a most important Meme of 2012 by Mashable, and has appeared on such TV shows including Today, Good Morning America, CBS Evening News, Anderson Cooper Live, VH1 Morning Buzz and The Soup. In March, Grumpy Cat was deemed the star of South by Southwest-i by news outlets.

The appearances drew lines of thousands of people that spanned for blocks. Grumpy Cat received more social mentions in four days than anyone else at SXSWi.The cat’s official Facebook has more than 930,000 likes and a weekly reach well over 2 million.

The official YouTube Channel has over 120,000 subscribers and over 20 million views. Grumpy Cat stars in a collection of webisodes in partnership with Friskies and the Will Kitty Play With It series. Grumpy Cat merchandise sells at Walmart, Hot Topic, Thinkgeek and many other retail stores. Licenses include Chronicle Books, Gund, Ripple Junction, Buckle Down, T Line, ATNY, Ultra Pro, 99 Cent Brains and more.

If you need more convincing: the catalyst for the movie action is Garner, who optioned the story and life rights of a bunch of adult men who hold a cross-country game of tag. That project is now a priority at New Line, with Mark Steilen writing and Will Ferrell and Jack Black coming attached to play two of the main characters. Garner believes this crotchety critter will be catnip for the family-film crowd.

“This started off as a picture of a cat, but rare is an image that evokes that much comedy,” Garner said. “You read all of the memes and the comments, and one is funnier than the next. We think we can build a big family comedy around this character.”

Source - http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/if-this-doesnt-make-her-smile-nothing-will-grumpy-cat-gets-movie-deal/

--------------------------------------------------------------------

RNPseyu.jpg