NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Wow, The Lone Ranger looks awful. I remember watching it as a kid and it was alright. But this, wow...

With the modern-sounding music and humour, it reminds me a lot of Wild Wild West.

It's also disappointing that LEGO went for licensed LEGO with this film, rather than doing a new proper western LEGO, like this proposed project

6132741603_8549565ca8_b.jpg

With the modern-sounding music and humour, it reminds me a lot of Wild Wild West.

It's also disappointing that LEGO went for licensed LEGO with this film, rather than doing a new proper western LEGO, like this proposed project

6132741603_8549565ca8_b.jpg

That's gorgeous. I predict a ReZgasm.

Watched Requiem for a Dream for the second time. Something else that film. And I'll be damned if there is/was anyone more beautiful than Jennifer Connelly.

tumblr_mhtyqzv7NB1s5qk66o1_500.gif

Edited by dwarf

fastandfurious6poster.jpg

tumblr_inline_mgcds6qDa31rppkks.gif

Cannot wait for this film, love the series, don't care... haters gon hate.

Edited by Murr

The fifth installment was brilliant (fun) and this looks like more awesomeness.

I love the first one. such a quotable film. Really enjoy the whole series though. Even 2 Fast 2 Furious, it's not my favorite from them all but Eva Mendez & the Nissan Skyline are worth it.

Fast 5 just doesn't get boring, watched it so many times.

I saw I Give It A Year yesterday and it was completely perfect. Such a brilliant British comedy....though Anna Faris is beginning to look a little rough.

Watched True Grit yesterday and enjoyed it very much. Stellar acting all around, but I was especially impressed by Hailee Steinfeld's performance. Amazing for a 13-year-old.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Buckaroo will always be my hero.

"Hey, hey, hey — don't be mean. We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are."

~Buckaroo Banzai~

I saw I Give It A Year yesterday and it was completely perfect. Such a brilliant British comedy....though Anna Faris is beginning to look a little rough.

I saw it a few weeks back and I really liked it. It thought it had brilliant writing and well thought out plays on classic tropes. Like starting with the 'happily ever after' wedding scene. Merchant being the husband's dickhead best mate that's just around, and never being explained because you just know. I really liked it, a rom-com of sorts with a lot more of the com. I did think Faris looked a bit rougher too, kept putting me off for some reason.

Watched Cloud Altas last night.

Very enjoyable film, but also quite different from the book.

This is good in a way because you can still really enjoy the book after seeing the film as it expands on everything much more.

Some of the character transformations across storylines were incredible!... you literally had no idea certain actor/actresses had played some of the characters; until they showed you them all during the credits! Others however were a bit strange... as in they tried too hard to get the same actors/actresses into some of the stories. The most notable was having the Chinese actress play a non-Chinese character in the 19th Century story.

Tom Hanks was a little bit questionable throughout I thought.

Ben Whishaw I thought was fantastic!

The only storyline that I thought the film did as well as the book was Timothy Cavendish, the others fell a bit short; particularly The Luisa Rey Mystery, my favourite part of the book.

But if you haven't read the book it wont matter; the stories are all really enjoyable!

On the whole they did the film well, despite having to change a lot of things and even miss out certain characters and story-points entirely to get it to work in the close to 3hrs.

Would recommend!

Edited by Retro_Link

Director: Darren Aronofsky

darrenaronofsky.jpg

Have watched all of his films now (not including shorts). He's an amazing director, I really like his style and all of the little idiosyncrasies that subtly creep their way into his work. He doesn't overcomplicate things, he just isolates a key idea, a key character or two, and explores them in depth without spreading the icing too thin. He shows a discipline and understanding that Tarantino seems to have lost. That nob-end has grown so self-indulgent now, his running times take the piss occasionally and you get the feeling he's just dicking about, sacrificing the heart of his films for the sake of a laugh.

I get the impression that Aronofsky dreads ageing or deteriorating. With the exception of The Fountain maybe there seems to be a great emphasis on characters who are in physical or mental decline, who're past their prime. In Requiem you've got the mother who's obsessed with TV and who desperately wants to fit into her old dress, in Pi you have the old mathematician who was disillusioned by his work and gave up his pursuits, in Black Swan you have the jealous and capricious mother who used to be a ballerina but has had the title of princess stripped from her by her age and the birth of her daughter, and then finally you have The Wrestler, which seems to me to be Aronofsky's biggest directorial departure, where the whole story is about the collapse of an old wrestler and his love interest, a lap-dancer, both of whom are in danger of losing their ability to court the crowds they depend on. Those stories will always resonate with me, and I'm only 20.

If I were to rank his films:

Requiem for a Dream > Black Swan = The Wrestler > π > The Fountain

That Pi symbol is pathetic.

Edited by dwarf

@dwarf gourami

AWESOME! :grin:

It's always a great feeling when you complete an auteur's set of films. :) (not that I have done it often) I completed Paul Thomas Anderson's filmography in preperation for The Master last year and it was an exhilarating experience as I went through them chronologically and it was fascinating to see a director evolve over time. He has yet to step a foot wrong.

I haven't seen Pi or The Wrestler from Darren Aronofsky yet but The Fountain is my favourite of his followed by Requiem for a Dream. :)

Sweet!

From Thomas Anderson I think I've only seen The Master. Visually it's incredible, the performances are superb and everything, but I didn't think there was much of a pay-off / gratifying story arc. But as long as I find a film interesting I don't mind so much, and it certainly was interesting. I've heard it was his most obscure and difficult work so I'll definitely look into his other stuff :)

That looks pretty good, i laughed though when he threw himself off that mountain and that eagle appeared and started to chase him. Ridiculous.

Also the line 'He has found you' was a bit mirth provoking.

That looks pretty good, i laughed though when he threw himself off that mountain and that eagle appeared and started to chase him. Ridiculous.

Also the line 'He has found you' was a bit mirth provoking.

Why's it ridiculous?... "everything has evolved to kill humans"... why wouldn't it take off from the mountain and hunt him?

Yeah i know, i just meant it just looked ridiculous in terms of 'oh, and this thing is hunting him. And this thing. Also this. That bird? Trying to kill him'.

That Pi symbol is pathetic.

You need to go serif up in this bitch

π

oh yeah