NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I managed to watch The Fountain after renting it from LoveFilm.

Fuck, what a film! Simply incredible from start to finish. Also, DAT SOUNDTRACK! Some of the best music I've ever heard in a film. It's beautiful to look at during certain parts, whilst also containing quite a few different messages. I also feel that the last 10 minutes can be down to interpretation, to some extent. Possibly the whole film can be interpreted in many different ways.

I curiously read up some reviews afterwards, checked the IMDB score and RottenTomatoes...shocked to see it got quite negative reviews. Don't really know what's not to like about it...

Yeah we loved it when we saw it. That ending and the music during it gave me goosebumps. The entire soundtrack is amazing really. Brilliant. :)

The Fountain is a beautiful movie. Loved every second of it. Think I'll watch it again soon :)

I've seen Inception again a few days ago. It's just fucking awesome.

Oooooh, i like Hugh Jackman. I might try this film.

Edit: Hmm but i'm not a fan of Darran Arovanovanovovsky....

Edited by 130131301364

Edit: Hmm but i'm not a fan of Darran Arovanovanovovsky....

Whaaaaaat? Go watch Pi, NOW!

Apparently they're making a female version of The Expendables. Only confirmed cast member so far is Gina Carano, but apparently "Linda Hamilton, Cynthia Rothrock, Sigourney Weaver, Carrie Ann Moss, Michelle Rodriguez, Gina Carano and Summer Glau have been put forward as a wish list of potential stars" (obviously one of them has now been cast since that was written).

I could get behind that. The Chuck fan in me wants Yvonne Strahovski too :p

I love that someone suggested they call it 'The Expendabelles'.

Went and watched The Campaign today, funny film. Throws in all the typical political clichés.

I've been forgetting to post about Brave for quite a while.

I watched this (in the new cinema on my fucking campus...oh yes) and was really surprised. I refused to watch any proper trailers / spoilers so I presumed this would be this grand and lonely adventure full of self-discovery & adrenaline-pumped action scenes. It was funny how it revolved around such a restricted & small theme (trying to restore her mom back to her original body).

It really felt like we should have received the big adventure story that was in my head & this movie would have been "Brave 2" or something. Then again, the team behind this movie are the new recruits so -- good job for their first movie.

CELTIC / GAELIC THEME -- YESSSSSS. THE MUSIC...*groan* perfection. MOAR MOAR!

Bruce looks kinda wierd no? Like he's had some work done or something. Or maybe it's just his bald head... but he had that in the 4th film so.

Regardless. This be a watch sometime later on TV film. Maybe.

Who the fuck are Conaco Productions LLC and why the fuck are they blocking that show in my country? pppooooooo!

Who the fuck are Conaco Productions LLC and why the fuck are they blocking that show in my country? pppooooooo!

Conan O'Brien must hate Australians.

Resident Evil 5 was my greatest. It's the one franchise I've convinced myself to enjoy and never criticise. It's just beyond that now. I mean...this film is effectively a giant side-plot from the main thrust of the series (which never feels quite explained anyway). It's like a watching a meandering comic series on screen.

Alice is always fierce though. Loved the final battles. Bitch-fight!

And one thing - this was a near perfect video-game adaptation. It felt exactly like a video game, lots of exposition, different levels with different themes...you all know what I mean. I want to play this game! :D So not a good adaptation of RE, but of the format of video-games, yes yes yes.

No one see Sinister. It's awful. I actually saw it last week but I was so bored by it that only now has the parts of my brain storing the memories of it have started rebooting. My God, the grammar in that last sentence was awkward.

Anyone seen The Machinist ? It received very favourable views but I thought it was shallow, pointless and very heavy handed. It left me thinking that I should be mulling it all over, but there was nothing to mull over, other than the fact that there was nothing to mull over. Lame.

Latest trailer for Life of Pi:

Looks incredible!

Oh, look, they turned Life of Pi into a sentimental melodrama. Way to go Hollywood, keep on lowering the bar. I expected more from Ang Lee. Here's hoping it's only the trailer that's shitty.

Anyone seen The Machinist ? It received very favourable views but I thought it was shallow, pointless and very heavy handed. It left me thinking that I should be mulling it all over, but there was nothing to mull over, other than the fact that there was nothing to mull over. Lame.

A failed attempt at Mementoing. Bale was good, but that's pretty much it. Don't bother with it.

----

Gonna see Looper tomorrow. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

Oh, look, they turned Life of Pi into a sentimental melodrama. Way to go Hollywood, keep on lowering the bar. I expected more from Ang Lee. Here's hoping it's only the trailer that's shitty.

A failed attempt at Mementoing. Bale was good, but that's pretty much it. Don't bother with it.

----

Gonna see Looper tomorrow. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

I'm guessing you'll be disappointed with it..

I watched it and felt a bit indifferent towards it. It wasn't really "shocking" so to speak, although I have to give Christian Bale some credit for the lengths he went to in that role...not healthy, but it shows dedication.

The plot felt a bit...seen-it-before, to me. I did enjoy the ending, but I can't help but feel that certain films out there have gone for the same impression/effect, but achieved better results.

The latest film that I've seen was Hotel Rwanda. I loved it, yet also hated so many things. One of these films where you simultaneously love and hate humanity. Very grim, very cruel, keeps you on edge through its entirety. Definitely recommend, but it can be uncomfortable viewing at times.

When Paul's neighbour was getting beaten in front of his house. That was particularly uncomfortable, as you know that Paul would be risking his life to go out there and help him, yet his friend is being attacked and needs help. I found that hard to watch.

Paul makes a pact with his wife to jump off the building when the Hutu come. Horrendous, as it outlines the severity of their situation.

The other scene I found hard was when Paul's family are in the truck ready to leave the hotel and he opts to stay behind with the refugees. Beautiful.

So many more, too.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk