NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks nothing like Bruce Willis...

I'd be willing to forgive that piece of wacky casting because the rest of the film looks so good. But yeah.....they're hardly long lost relatives, let alone the same guy.

You people must understand: time-travel messes up the aging process.

I wasn't actually looking forward to that in any way until today. I saw a trailer at the cinema that I had no idea what it was, and decided "Reminds me of Stargate...I want to see it" and then I realised it was Prometheus. Now I'm excited about it.

Speaking of trailers. I want to pirate Ice Age 4 because the advert annoyed me so much (the film trailer was an anti-piracy advert sating "if you support films in the cinema...we'll ensure more are made to the series will outstay it's welcome"), The Dark Knight Returns still doesn't massively excite me, I was completely baffled by Tim Burton's next film (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter). Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the Brave trailer.

Also: Cabin in the Woods is brilliant. The strange thing about it is that you can't even explain what kind of film it is without spoilering it. A great cast, I loved Fran Kranz (I did in Dollhouse) and it's great to see Amy Acker again, although for one of the actors it bugged me as I was thinking "I know him from somewhere" the whole time I saw him (turns out it was Chris Hemsworth...which is kind of embarrassing considering what film I saw hours earlier).

I loved spotting a Reaver (Firefly) and a Boomer (Left 4 Dead) in the background

I think it may possibly be my favourite horror film (I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I loved this).

Watched American Pie: Reunion today. I loved it! Was a lot better than I expected and for me, it's on par with the first movie as being the best in the series. Great stuff!

Watched American Pie: Reunion today. I loved it! Was a lot better than I expected and for me, it's on par with the first movie as being the best in the series. Great stuff!

Going to see it on Friday night with the same group of friends i had when we were watching this back in '99 making pacts of our own.

So excited!

Watched Damsels in Distress last week. It's like if you took a story of your life and told it using the most boring segments that's what you'd get.

Not enough Aubrey Plaza and Alia Shawkat. Although Aubrey's face was as amazingly expressive as usual, which helped.

Most certainly on level-terms with the first. Watched it this afternoon, very enjoyable. Some great stuff to be had, most certainly worth watching.

21 Jump Street - I'll beat your dick off with both hands, let's go!/10

One of the funniest films I've seen in the last decade, just loved it all.

American Pie: Reunion - I'm taking a shit/10

Good to see the gang back but did it make me feel old, I was in high school when the first film came out. Damn.

Nice to see the cast back together. Laughable moments, including the "Sherminator" scanning a potential female that Stiffler offered to him. Nice to see the Stif quit with style from his dead-end job, and get back at Finch by nailing HIS Mum for a change. That was different, i think the director was expecting us to see Finch and Stiflers Mum get back together. But Jims Dad going for her, different. Will admit, seeing Oz getting his fling back was great. There were some great moments in the movie, including the reuniting of the "Milf" chaps.

Seeing all the cast was great, but like many people. Makes me feel old as i was in High School/Comp when the first came out. I'm 25 now, i was 13 when the first came out. I don't see another being made, this should be the last one. Because i can't see how another would work.

I spent most of the day watching The Lord of The Rings on Blu-Ray. I haven't seen the films for a good few years, but they're still amazing films. They also look (and sound) fantastic on Blu-Ray - the detail is incredible. The detail in the settings is astonishing, and even small specs of soldiers 'on wide angle shots look extremely clear. I was worried that some of the CGI may look old (especially the Battle of Pelennor Fields) but it still looks amazing and it's extremely hard to tell where the real stuff stops and the CGI starts.

Nice to see the cast back together. Laughable moments, including the "Sherminator" scanning a potential female that Stiffler offered to him. Nice to see the Stif quit with style from his dead-end job, and get back at Finch by nailing HIS Mum for a change. That was different, i think the director was expecting us to see Finch and Stiflers Mum get back together. But Jims Dad going for her, different. Will admit, seeing Oz getting his fling back was great. There were some great moments in the movie, including the reuniting of the "Milf" chaps.

Seeing all the cast was great, but like many people. Makes me feel old as i was in High School/Comp when the first came out. I'm 25 now, i was 13 when the first came out. I don't see another being made, this should be the last one. Because i can't see how another would work.

I think it ended perfectly and I'd be very happy if another one wasn't made. Watched it again and enjoyed it just as much. I was 9 when American Pie first came out and now I'm 21 and I still laugh at the same jokes as I did back then, lmao.

I watched Journey 2: The Mysterious Island today. It was a good, entertaining movie. Very fun and likeable with some great visuals. Not sure why it had bad reviews...

I tried to make this post the other day but everything I wrote got wiped so these are much shorter "reviews" you'll be pleased to see. :D

All the movies I have watched recently:

SCHIZOPOLIS Great little odd film, that isn't trying to be weird. It is weird. Recommend

EUREKA Beautiful cinematography and a striking subject matter expertly explored throuh the films emptinessHighly Recommend

MANHATTAN This has one of the best openings I have ever seen, it gives me the chills. The rest of the film almost matches it. One of Woody's all time

greats. Highly Recommend.

SHAME Good. Solid portrayal of sex addiction but could have done with it exploring the subject matter a bit more and for it to be a bit darker although it almost gets there near the end. :) Actually the more I think about it the more I like this film. Recommend.

THE CABIN IN THE WOODS Fun. Just don't think about it too much otherwise the plot starts to unravel. Definitely a cool cinema experience though. It's nothing special up until the final part when they went mental and just let the blood flow. Worth A Look.

INSIDE MAN This films "Reveals" are a massive flop and it gets less interesting as it goes on but you've gotta love Denzel Washington in a pimp hat. Approach With Caution.

THE BOOK OF ELI This should have been Denzel Washington cutting men up for an hour and a half but instead they attempted a plot and that's the films biggest down fall. Just silly. Don't Bother.

WUTHERING HEIGHTS Bland. Approach With Caution.

21 JUMP STREET Would have liked it more if it had been Channing and Jonah on drugs for the whole film but sadly they forget the funnies during the first half and delve into lame action, it's weird how all these types of films follow a strict by the numbers pattern. Approach With Caution.

BOTTLE ROCKET Wes Anderson knows how to make characters. I cared about what happened to them, I loved all their interactions. I think the story could've been tighter but overall this left me smiling. :)Charming. Recommend.

THOR lulz. It's a marvel superhero movie, it sets out to do what needs to do. Nothing more. As good as the others. Approach With Caution.

KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE Good. Not great. I didn't quite love it but it's by no means a bad film. An excellent coming of age tale wrapped up in magic! Worth A Look.

HUNGER Brutal. Highly Recommend.

EDIT:

Oh and I had a Planet of the Apes marathon with my friend. All 5 original films back to back. Obviously all of them are awesome. :grin:

Edited by Coolness Bears

Saw III - What a load of fucking shit/10

That is all.

Edited by bryanee

Watched The Dictator today in cinema....

It was funny in parts but also very 'meh' in others. Most of the funny stuff had already been shown in trailers as well, although there one particular scene that I didn't see in a trailer which was really funny.

:hmm:

I saw it last night too, was really funny :)

i get the feeling that loads of stuff was cut out for being too rude, will have to wait for the blu ray release

Saw III - What are loading of fucking shit/10

That is all.

I thought the same the first time i watched it. The thing with Saw is that it is a progressive story, so you really have to have seen Saw I and Saw II recently before watching the third, and the same applies with the rest. I found that when the events of the previous films were fresh in my mind, i really enjoyed it a lot more. It is a very clever series overall.

Up to you if you bother giving it another chance though.

I've seen the first two, pretty terrible aswell. The only reason I sat through the third was because I was bored.

I thought the first was pretty good actually. It had a more psychological impact because we didn't know there was so much trash to come later!

I thought the same the first time i watched it. The thing with Saw is that it is a progressive story, so you really have to have seen Saw I and Saw II recently before watching the third, and the same applies with the rest. I found that when the events of the previous films were fresh in my mind, i really enjoyed it a lot more. It is a very clever series overall.

Up to you if you bother giving it another chance though.

SAW is definitely a very clever series and is definitely underrated. People tend to see the gory side and instantly hate but I love the series for it's twists and turns and it's story (although the last was the worst one of all and if given to me, would have been infinitely better). SAW, SAW II and SAW VI were the best ones though, the rest were fine but Final Chapter was an abomination really.

Goon - Not what I was expecting/10

Seeing the trailers I thought this would be a big pile of old shite but tickle me suprised it was pretty damn entertaining and funny to boot.

The best horror series.

I loved the fourth. Yes, it was lacking genuine scares. But that's never been Screams main focus.

Plus, the third might be technically the worst of the bunch. But it has that brilliant fight scene in the finale ("TAKE SOME FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY") and of course, those bangs.

scream3_053.jpg