NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

I like both Star Wars and Trek,to be honest most sci-fi.

Regarding films i like to got to the cinema and switch my brain off,i cannot see the point of going to the cinema and becoming a film critic the moment you walk in the door.People often slag off SW episodes 1-3 and a few of the later Trek movies but there is nothing wrong with any of them in my opinion.

Regarding films i like to got to the cinema and switch my brain off,i cannot see the point of going to the cinema and becoming a film critic the moment you walk in the door.People often slag off SW episodes 1-3 and a few of the later Trek movies but there is nothing wrong with any of them in my opinion.

4417872379_6ba79864e0_o.gif

You absolutely sure you mean nothing?

Have you seen Episodes IV-VI? Episodes I-III aren't in the same league as them. Attack of the Clones is the worst of the bunch but Revenge of the Sith is easily the best out of the new trilogy, I'm sure The Phantom Menace was some kind of comedy movie?

Though I don't find it's about becoming a film critic as soon as you go through the door. You either love the movie or hate it. It's like Season of the Witch or Battle: Los Angeles, those were atrocities and they weren't remotely enjoyable, even if you switched your brain off. Same goes for Vampires Suck and Disaster Movie and stuff, you'd just hate them even though you know there's nothing that requires any thought...

I enjoy the prequels, though I do feel there's something off. I think it's the characters that feel a bit flat. You don't really connect to them all that much, and it makes the character driven scenes fall short - which is truly a shame when the whole point of the prequel trilogy is the character development of Anakin. I'm not really sure if the problem lies with the writing, the direction or the performance of the actors themselves - maybe it's a bad combination of the three.

Requiem for a Dream has to be the most fucking miserable film I've ever seen. Also it has that moist eyed emo poser Jared Letto in it. Seriously, the only thing he was ever good for is being hacked to pieces by Christian Bale. Good film though.

Just saw Good Will Hunting. I loved.

Requiem for a dream is great. I love feel-bad movies. I also find it funny that shot of the pier (apparently that's also the English word for it?) is very similar to the one in Dark City. I believe there's now a third film with a similar shot.

Sorry Paj.

Yeah, I am (was?) more of a Star Trek guy than Star Wars. As for the movies:

(well, I've already posted this, I'm pretty sure, but here's my stance again on the Star Wars prequels)

Star Wars 1: meh (didn't even see it in the cinema).

Star Wars 2: Hmm, interesting, there's hope yet! Star Wars 3 must be amazing if they continue the trend!

Star Wars 3: my visit to the cinema ended in a riot.

Clone Wars was the only good thing to come out of the prequel stories.

Star Trek TNG movies: since I'm a fan, I even put up with mediocre but..

Generations: nice bridge movie.

First Contact: best Star Trek movie, just amazing.

Insurrection: Meh, ok.. Probably not something for the big screen.. I also hated the transition from CGI + models to CGI only. They managed to make the beautiful Enterprise E look ugly with the CGI only and the stupid shuttle below the saucersection.

Nemesis: my visit to the cinema ended in a riot. They had to rebuild it. I can't believe what they fucking did with it.

Enterprise: I'm in 2 minds about this. On the one hand, Star Trek, to me, pretty much died with Nemesis (and the Voyager finale, and season 2 of the Enterprise series). Star Trek, as I once knew and loved, didn't exist anymore, and in that regard, the reboot movie just continued that trend and disregarded the continuity completely, having no respect for it. As such, it was a complete disappointment. But I fully realised the Star Trek I loved was gone.. So simply looking at its entertainment value, I say it was a succes. I had a few nitpicks with some things, but I can't remember what exactly. But the cast was amazing, and so was the action. I treat it as some sort of new franchise, and in that regard, I look forward to the next one.

Anyway. Yesterday I had plans to go to Amsterdam to the Imagine film festival, but I wasn't exactly prepared. I should have ordered tickets online, but forgot all about it. I wanted to see Die Tür and Rubber, but fortunately both have blu-ray releases with English subtitles, so I'll just get those eventually. Another mention, since it's also a movie I was very interested in, and I saw someone here with a David Hyde Pierce avatar, in the public poll the movie The Perfect Host is the most popular movie of the festival. I hope it still gets a normal release here.

Some movies I hope to see this week or not much later:

Somewhere, Drei, Blue Valentine and Never let me go.

It (Requiem) ripped out my chest then put it back in again the first time I saw it. Significantly less powerful second time round obviously. A striking film.

I wanted to watch Requiem once, so I went and downloaded The Rules of Attraction. I r a genius.

Requiem for a Dream fills me with hope. :)

I saw Winnie the Pooh today. :D A great little film, filled with warmth, fun and childlike joy.

From opening to end it just gave me one huge smile and a few laughs along the way.

Ended up re-watching Spirited away this morning, it always baffles me that I only found out about studio ghibli when I came to uni and I love the films, everyone I've seen.

I went and seen Fast5, FastFive or Fast and the Furious 5 Rio Heist, whatever it's called, I enjoyed it. It was great seeing all the major characters from the other films hooking up for one last job. It was kind of a mix between the other Fast and Furious films and the Oceans Eleven films.

Last night I finally got around to watching Inglorious Basterds which I thought was fantastic. I'm not really a fan of Tarantinos films, apart from the Kill Bills, but this really was a good watch. Alot of my mates hated it due to the subtitles but seeing as I watch alot of Japanese anime i'm used to it. :D I thought Brad Pitt was hilarious in it. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh at him or not.

Oh I definitely think so.

Christoph Waltz steals the show though. He is in that new film with Robert PATTYblog and Reese Wheatherfork, which actually looks pretty nice.

Convinced my friend to watch The Darjeeling Limited. God, I love thee sheer wackiness of that movie.

Just finished watching Unstoppable and i'm suitably impressed. It's got two of my favourite actors in it, one of my favourite locations in the world and it's a thriller. Everything you need to be win in my book.

Loved it.

the-number-23-movie-poster.jpg

Ended up watching this the other night, I don't think I've really seen Jim playing anything non-comedy so it was a nice change. Interesting enough although I'm not really bothered about watching ti again.

Just sat watching the new tron movie now. :)

If you want to see Jim Carrey in more serious roles, you should check out The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. :smile:

If you want to see Jim Carrey in more serious roles, you should check out The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. :smile:

I don't know why I spaced on the Truman show, I must have watched it enough, I like that film quite a bit.

Eternal sunshine on the other hand I've never gotten round to watching, I'll get it on after tron I imagine (haha.)

I watched Batman Returns for the first time in quite some time last night and I do like it but man Batman kills a dude with TNT. I never really noticed that before but I nearly chocked on my chocolate egg when I saw it last night.

I've also bought T2:Skynet, Total Recall, Predator: UE and Red Heat on bluray so I'm going to watch them later. Arniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.

RE: TNT in Batman Returns. It was done so swiftly and casually that I just imagined it was like...a stunning (in the literal meaning of the word) bomb or something. Though technically I suppose it was actually...a normal bomb. :/

I just watched Transformers the animated movie and it will forever be one of my fave moves of all time. I first went to see it at the cinema when I was 3 and I dont remember lol my dad wanted to see it but him being 21 at the time he used me as an excuse but it started my love affair with the Transformers.

11/10

I just watched Transformers the animated movie and it will forever be one of my fave moves of all time. I first went to see it at the cinema when I was 3 and I dont remember lol my dad wanted to see it but him being 21 at the time he used me as an excuse but it started my love affair with the Transformers.

11/10

21? How old was he when you were born?