NEurope
Dyson

General Movie Thread

Well.. let's see if the demand for this is as high as anticipated!

Ashley has allowed the creation of a general movie thread, so let's ensure it gets used! : peace:

I watched the Last Airbender with Goafer at the weekend. Dear god that was a terrible movie.

....it did however have one of the best lines ever:

"Ever since you were born, I always knew you were a bender"

Is it bad that I only pay attention in the Star Wars movies whenever one of these are shown:

a) C-3PO

b) R2-D2

c) Ewoks

d) lightsaber fights

I mean, I've watched all of them but still have no idea what the story is. Surely I can't be the only one? @__@

Star Wars is so incredibly overrated. Not to say they're bad - they're good entertainment of course, but...not much else going on there beyond that.

[/my view]

I enjoy the concept of the expanded universe/the fact it exists. And lightsabres are admittedly a stunning fictional invention. The sound is beautiful.

Oh lord, Paj is gonna have a spasm from his brain all through his spinal chord when he sees this thread.

~~~

Quite glad about this. I've recently seen Casablanca. Lovely propaganda film. My favourite scene is where the entire club chants the French National Anthem. So moving :')

Ingrid Birdman is also the definition of a perfect woman :love: Her smile...I melt in three.

Shortly after I watched Music And Lyrics staring DREW BARRIMORE AND HUGH GRANT. Enjoyable movie. A romantic comedy where your brain doesn't have to think much :)

I now want to be Drew Barrimore. :love: She is ME!

Edit: of course Paj manages to post in seconds flat before me :/

Edited by Frank

While I do really enjoy the Star Wars movies, my heart will always belong to Trek :p

Edited by Happenstance

I've never seen Star Wars.. or, I have, but I think it was Episode I, years ago. So long ago in fact that I can't even remember what happened apart from a podrace, some lightsaber fights and a lasery wall section with two guys staring each other down.

But anyway, that's impossible. Even I know there are only 3 Star Wars films.

I miss my Toy Story DVD's. :p

I was gonna bring them back with me from Uni! but decided it against could go for a trilogy day.

I've already seen Toy Story 3 ten times this year. :grin: but still I could have watched it another 2 times this Easter break.

While I do really enjoy the Star Wars movie, my heart will always belong to Trek :p

Star Trek FTW! I will always prefer this to Star Wars but i still think star wars is ace! :)

Unless you're submitting your entire lifestyle to it, I don't see why you have to choose between Wars and Trek...

Recently I've been playing Lego Indiana Jones and I've realised just how many set pieces and magic moments there are -- I watched the films loads as a kid but generally never really knew what the story was, besides bad guy wants this ancient thing and indy won't let him!

Will be getting the movies when i got the money so I can cast my adult eye over them.

So many movies are like that. I remember watching Superman and Superman II dozens of times as a kid, maybe hundreds, then watching it again when I was about 15 or 16 and realising I had never actually known what the plot was.

Same with Batman. I remember that grown-up moment when I realised that in the Jack Nicholson line: "this town needs an enema", "enema" isn't just a weird word for enemy.

Unless you're submitting your entire lifestyle to it, I don't see why you have to choose between Wars and Trek...

Recently I've been playing Lego Indiana Jones and I've realised just how many set pieces and magic moments there are -- I watched the films loads as a kid but generally never really knew what the story was, besides bad guy wants this ancient thing and indy won't let him!

Will be getting the movies when i got the money so I can cast my adult eye over them.

I'm not choosing... I just have a preference! :heh:

I know ep 1, 2 and 3 were not as well recieved for Star Wars but i thought the third in particular was ace! It has been awhile since i have last watched it but i felt it bridged the gap between the first three and last three well how he became Vader etc!

I had only watched the Indi films for the first time a few years ago and i thought they were great films! Don't know how i managed to miss out on them for years!

Star Wars is so incredibly overrated. Not to say they're bad - they're good entertainment of course, but...not much else going on there beyond that.

haha Camp guys ( I mean in a good way of course) never seem to like star wars. None of my friends do but I'm a nut for it :)

I've gotten into watching over the top action movies lately. True lies and the long kiss goodnight. Good shtuff :)

Yeah, I watched (and loved) Batman Returns many times when I was younger before realising what Penguin was doing for a lot of the early parts of the film (i.e when he's in the register's office looking at birth certificates). :)

Ingrid Birdman is also the definition of a perfect woman :love:

Let me guess... you like birds? :heh:

Let me guess... you like birds? :heh:

Why of course! :indeed:

Copy_of_Birds.jpg

(another example of the perfect woman.)

I was thinking about this the other day and I thought it would be cool to have a movies section (like Other Consoles, General Chit Chat, etc) but then I thought they wouldn't go for it and moved on, lol.

I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show the other night on Film4 and it is such a weird film because I genuinely have no clue what it was about. All I see is Tim Curry dressed as a woman singing songs about trying to make the perfect man to shag or something. The acting was way too over-the-top but I think that was how it was supposed to be. I don't know whether to like it or hate it though, it was just nonsensical and not in a fun way...I kind of like a couple of the songs though.

Why of course! :indeed:

It was mostly a joke about how you mangled Ingrid Bergman's last name, but I liked the double meaning in the word 'birds'.

But maybe you got that. :heh:

...shite. No, I didn't :p

How on earth did I manage that? My grandest apologies.

I'm definitely much more a star wars fan than star trek, I suppose jedi powers will always win over.

Recently I've been watching to many movies, as me and my friends can't really afford to go out, I think we've watched:

Baseketball

The big Lebowski (which I loved!)

The thing (the 1982 version)

Being John Malkovich (which I hated.)

Tangled (love, love, love, love.)

Black swan.

There's a few others, but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Just saw "Fast Five" it was fun.

-----------------

So confused right now how I didn't know about this film.

CHG_Teaser1Sheet_11P__scaled_600.jpg

Being John Malkovich (which I hated.)

gallery_9259_86_251745.gif

I can't fathom what would cause someone to take issue with BJM.

--

I just bought The Kids Are Alright as I heard it was very good and hadn't yet indulged. Also bought the original Hairspray as I feel I need to explore John Waters. I was intending to buy Pink Flamingos but then appaz it's not got a Region 2 DVD release...? Ugly bitches.

It definitely isn't a film I wanted to see but my friends seemed to have had some sort of fascination in going to see Red Riding Hood last night (partly due to Scre4m not being shown at our local cinema)

Anyway, I told them it looked really bad but we ended up going anyway.. and it was absolutely pathetic. One of the worst films I've ever seen :nono:

gallery_9259_86_251745.gif

I can't fathom what would cause someone to take issue with BJM.

--

I just bought The Kids Are Alright as I heard it was very good and hadn't yet indulged. Also bought the original Hairspray as I feel I need to explore John Waters. I was intending to buy Pink Flamingos but then appaz it's not got a Region 2 DVD release...? Ugly bitches.

The original Hairspray is quite good although I must tell you that it's not a musical as in the sense of the new Hairspray (I didn't know whether you knew or not but thought I should tell you anyway). Also, I'm with you on this one, I have no clue why someone would hate Being John Malkovich but each to their own! :)

Speaking of John Waters, I recently saw Cry-Baby and I didn't find that too bad. I found it more to be a parody of movies such as Grease and 50s High School dramas and musicals. It was silly but fun. Definitely something I couldn't watch again though.

Watching Public Enemies right now, and there is something about the cinematography (if that is the correct term) that feels really off for something thats supposed to be portraying Jazz Age America. Character's movements feel too jerky, the colour saturation feels off and so does the lack of film grain. It feels like certain scenes were shot using a handheld camcorder.

Other than that, saw The Fighter last night, and was blown away. What a great film.