NEurope
Burny

Nano Assault EX

I'm not into shmups at all but this caught my eye due to the visual quality.

You're playing a microscopic ship which hunts down viruses and the likes in some kind of organism. It's developed by Shin'en (Jett Rocket + Fast racing on WiiWare) for the 3DS, published by Majesco and aimed for an autumn release.

Anyway, there is a handful of screenshots in this thread (sorry, don't want to link them directly as they're watermarked). I believe they look rather splendid and really show off what's possible with normal mapping on the 3DS.

There is also an interview with someone from the developer (albeit in German). They would like to develop for the 3DS' download service again.

Edit: Majesco's site says this:

Stop the deadly Nanostray virus from spreading and contaminating civilization in Nano Assault, a fast-paced action shooter set within a visually stunning cellular system that leaps off the screen in full 3D. Control your microscopic Nanite ship inside the dangerous virus to fight off infections, navigate through alien cell clusters, battle bosses, and ultimately analyze and destroy the virus' core to save humanity.

• Find, analyze, and destroy the Nanostray virus DNA with your Nanite vessel.
  • Harness the power of multiple weapons: Powerful Beams that lock onto enemies for instant impact; Energetic Bombs explode upon impact and launch devastating projectiles; Spins rotate around enemies in energy-draining orbs
  • Blast your way through 32 twisted cell stages and dark worlds with rugged landscapes that self-adjust in difficulty based on how you play.
  • Battle and defeat 10 extreme bosses including the Black Nucleus, Hyper Blobs, and Spore Plants to collect secondary weapons including lightning chains, electric flashes that destroy everything in close proximity, and the quick and powerful laser.
  • Test your skills in "Boss Rush" mode and battle bosses back-to-back!
  • Stunning gameplay aesthetic is set in a distinctive electron microscope inspired world.
  • Ignite purifying blasts to clear infections by collecting power-ups that defeated enemies leave behind.
  • Respawn and clone yourself along the journey to ensure successful missions. AutoSaving is available after each stage or section.
  • Extra features include Missions Mode, an unlockable arcade style cell stage where you must destroy enemies against a time counter trying to get the highest score, and Hall of Fame where you can publish your level scores and compare them with friends online.
  • Detailed enemy Nanopedia lets you unlock information containing strengths, weaknesses, and strategies to defeat them.

Edited by Burny

That looks awesome! :D

Not really surprising actually as Jett Rocket looked beautiful for a WiiWare game.

Hope we get a trailer for this soon!

More screens. This time with slightly overblown resolution and AA. Looks still incredible.

nanoassaults1.jpg

nanoassaults2.jpg

nanoassaults3.jpg

nanoassaults4.jpg

nanoassaults5.jpg

nanoassaults6.jpg

Really does look great!

Just need a gameplay trailer and reviews to back it up now.

Does it have a release date that anyone knows of?

Only "autumn 2011" going by interviews/articles. Majesco's site doesn't even tell anything about the release. But there's a bit of info I edited in the OP.

Fantastic, Shin'en always push the technology on every Nintendo system. Loving the embracement of bump mapping and stuff. We know the tech can do it better than Wii, so it's good to see developers actually give a shit about it.

Does look great. He mentions in game coins to buy stuff with, hope it uses play coins too. Also hope it uses other features - online leaderboards for eg. Co op would also be great but this would have been mentioned if it was in!

I was wondering if there were other level types other than the Super Stardust style planetoid levels, good to see there's a Starfox-esque perspective as well.

Not sure about the game all being about a microscopic virus theme though, sounds like it might be dull in terms of level design variety. Also, seems like there wont be any scrolling horizontal or vertical shooter stages, which is a shame, but I guess Shin'en want a break from that.

I really want to hold this and see the 3D though, I'm sure this does look astounding.

I think that preview to be honest probably covers pretty much all the content in the game in terms of what the guy says...I have a feeling I wouldn't pay full price for this. I've owned 2 of their previous titles and they're probably worth like £15 tops.

Edited by James McGeachie

Looks great!

Shame we cant import. Thanks for that nintendo :angry:

Hope it does well in the US.

We should change this threads name to "Nano Assault EX!"

some more details:

- new survivor mode

- online rankings

- updated graphics

- support for the Circle Pad Pro

- no release date yet

- headed to both the U.S. and Europe

Now if this can connect in some way to the WiiU version, that would be awesome, and worth buying both. ATM I don't know which one to get.

The only way I could see them interconnecting is if they share leaderboards. From my understanding the Wii U version is just a HD version of the e-shop game.

The only way I could see them interconnecting is if they share leaderboards. From my understanding the Wii U version is just a HD version of the e-shop game.

Wrong. The Wii U game is a sequel to the 3DS one. Not just another version of the same game.

Now if this can connect in some way to the WiiU version, that would be awesome, and worth buying both. ATM I don't know which one to get.

No word on connectivity and I wouldn't count on it, since it's not just another "version" - it's a sequel.