NEurope
Jonnas

The Gentlemen's Mafia II - Hunter's Chance

[..]

Let me put it this way: if you had stolen every single night, you could potentially get all the keys in first three nights. In fact, in the first night, both you and Marcamillian targeted key-holders by pure chance.

But you should never consider the best-case scenario (or worst-case scenario for that matter). I stand by my opinion that even if we did recruited someone, 7 players would have a near impossible task of winning traditionally.

And you want blunders? Let's see an early example:

Night 1: The Peeps targets Diageo, finds out he's a Jailkeeper

Day 2: Herojan says "Sebastian Wilson is out there, and he is probably good"

Night 2: "OMG, he knows my name and is clearing me! Kill him!"

...While letting a jailkeeper run rampant. If you had killed Diageo before he was proven good, Marcamillian could have lasted quite a while, because nobody besides Diageo suspected him.

Seriously, why did you leave a jailkeeper run free? I didn't give The Peeps investigative powers just so he could use them to look innocent, you know.

And for that matter, why killing someone who offhandedly said he trusts one of you? (before he knew who that person was, even)

But the fact that he trusted Peeps wasn't important to us. Our fear was that he may be able to catch Angus or something with his name-getting abilities, so in that regard, our decision was sound.

Not to mention you stopped stealing for more than an in-game week! Your protections weren't clearing you, because nobody was tracking or noticing you, I thought you guys would notice after the first couple of nights of protecting!

And Eddie roleblocking Sméagol... :nono:

Yes, that was stupid, still though, I'd have expected a bit more attention.. You must also realise.. We (or actually, everyone) don't know if we cause any PM's, and in which situations, and what they'll say. This also factored in at least my decisions.

And the last thing wasn't my fault though ;).

No, we both did! We've shared targetting since the night we became a supercop! That's why I didn't want to reveal my results! You have misunderstood a bit somewhere :p

Well, if you hadn't been so darn vague and secretive and alluding! :heh:

Also, I should make this clear: Nintendohnut killed Esequiel. And Diageo tried to kill Cube, except he protected himself (Sidenote: The mafia considered roleblocking Cube during this night, but decided against it. Oh, what could've been...)

Did Dohnut lie about appearing if he targetted the wrong person? If so, that was actually a rather smart move, though it didn't save him in the end.

@Mundi: :heh: Sorry, Mundi, I really am. But if I had corrected aqui1a, I would be practically clearing you as good (even if you did look evil under investigation), so I couldn't really do anything but let the townies realise the nature of aqui1a's power by themselves.

No problem man, it was early enough to be an acceptable townie mistake.

My only problem is being taken out so early in the game :Þ

But you should never consider the best-case scenario (or worst-case scenario for that matter). I stand by my opinion that even if we did recruited someone, 7 players would have a near impossible task of winning traditionally.

Not that impossible. There were plenty of suspicious townies, innocent-looking mafiosos and mishaps to be had. In retrospect, perhaps I shouldn't have given Dohnut a restriction on his killing powers (what he said about appearing in the write-up if he killed a townie was true), but I still thought it was quite possible.

Also, I'm not setting a mafia objective that is so easy to accomplish. Notice how, after a while, you had pinpointed every keyholder through deductive reasoning alone? That would've been broken towards the mafia.

But the fact that he trusted Peeps wasn't important to us. Our fear was that he may be able to catch Angus or something with his name-getting abilities, so in that regard, our decision was sound.

His name-catching abilities of "I know a name, but not who it belongs to"? :heh: He even got the power wrong. It was very much an impulsive decision.

Yes, that was stupid, still though, I'd have expected a bit more attention.. You must also realise.. We (or actually, everyone) don't know if we cause any PM's, and in which situations, and what they'll say. This also factored in at least my decisions.

I am taking that into account. Surely the fact that others weren't confirming what you did, or the fact that your mafia buddies weren't getting a PM when you targeted them were sound clues? I would expect you to notice it wasn't clearing anybody after the second time you did it. Not the seventh.

Did Dohnut lie about appearing if he targetted the wrong person? If so, that was actually a rather smart move, though it didn't save him in the end.

He was being truthful, except he would appear only if he killed a townie. Bad restriction, in retrospect. I suppose I didn't want him raining hell on everybody he found suspicious, or else the mafia would lose very quickly.

I was wary of you for aaaaaages, but because I didn't have any evidence I couldn't really act on it. Today I was just like "he must be the last one, can't be anyone else" and was hoping people would follow me in voting heh.

Yeah, same here. I became wary just after EddieColeslaw night but I didn't think anything of it, I was too busy fighting everyone to vote for Tales, lmao. Then in the last day phase, I decided to get all of the votes in a Word document and study it and found that you voted for two Goods and one Mafia. That was just it for me, lol.

Brilliant game though, Peeps. VERY well played indeed!

He was being truthful, except he would appear only if he killed a townie. Bad restriction, in retrospect. I suppose I didn't want him raining hell on everybody he found suspicious, or else the mafia would lose very quickly.

Would he have won outright on his own if he succeeded?

Would he have won outright on his own if he succeeded?

He would've won on his own, but the game would proceed, with Eddie/Sveta replacing Angus as the killer. The eventual winners would join Nintendohnut.

...Considering this, 6-7 really was too few mafia members for the game. 7-8, while removing Dohnut's restriction would've been better.

Did you think I was Angus the dohnut?

Oh, yes he did. You were suspicious in his eyes, so he took a gamble.

Not that impossible. There were plenty of suspicious townies, innocent-looking mafiosos and mishaps to be had. In retrospect, perhaps I shouldn't have given Dohnut a restriction on his killing powers (what he said about appearing in the write-up if he killed a townie was true), but I still thought it was quite possible.

No offense, but that's bad judgement on your part then..

Imagine we did have an extra recruit in this game. Peeps gets lynched, he's on his own. He still has to kill five people in order to win, I doubt anyone can survive 5 nights in a row on his own. Luck/strategy-wise the game wasn't biased to any side, so I assume this situation to be average.. The removing of limitation on Dohnut would have helped immensely, extra people getting killed would've helped our side too.

Also, I'm not setting a mafia objective that is so easy to accomplish. Notice how, after a while, you had pinpointed every keyholder through deductive reasoning alone? That would've been broken towards the mafia.

Again, probably just an average situation, we got lucky with a couple of kills, and the hints we got (from Dannyboy and Fierce_Link) were appreciated. Our “deduction†of ReZ possibly having a key has more to do with luck, and we only guessed at the very end of the game. ReZ was more vocal than others. From our standpoint, it could easily have been someone else who was more important, but ReZ seemed more important because he was more vocal about himself. But this is irrelevant now, it's obvious the keys weren't a huge factor for us in our chance of winning, even if we did get them.

His name-catching abilities of "I know a name, but not who it belongs to"? :heh: He even got the power wrong. It was very much an impulsive decision.

I guess we could've done a bit more research, still, he was killed for his abilities, for us there was no telling how big of a threat he really was to us (or could have been later on), but he felt like a threat at that time, so I wouldn't call this particular decision a huge blunder.

I am taking that into account. Surely the fact that others weren't confirming what you did, or the fact that your mafia buddies weren't getting a PM when you targeted them were sound clues? I would expect you to notice it wasn't clearing anybody after the second time you did it. Not the seventh.

Well, you're exagerating a bit. I used my protect ability 6 times. And since I have been suspicious all game, then surely, the reasoning that, if I am not tracked or investigated properly before, the chances are only getting higher of that happening, is a logical one? And it also wasn't a matter of being tracked / investigated, but also simply a mention of someone missing something, which would put all the attention right back at me. The Ellmeister / Zell thing clearly showed that. You also forget I've used my protect ability “properly†twice.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. It doesn't detract from the game's epicness, and my request for auto-sign-up stands ;).

I was expecting there to be at least one more. Had also thought with the numbers a few more neutrals could have been thrown in somewhere, not necessarily with drastically differing win conditions, but you have lots of roles to play with. If I had writing ability and the sound mind to come up with it, I'd one day love to run a mafia with all sorts of crazy roles, just to give everything a big ol' shakeup. Does seem people are getting stuck into some rather weird ruts across the board lately. Kinda like a trust no-one, only a little less retarded.

So watch this space!

PEEPS YOU MOTHER FUCKER!!! Thats twice you´ve cock blocked me in the final seconds of a game. You will pay....somehow.

Another amazing game Jonnas. I will post up full posts and thoughts when I R ARTICHOKE.

My auto-sign-up for the third Gentlemen's Mafia is naturally and palpably a blatantly self-evident truth. Obviously.

To nuance things from my last post, I, on my part, forget something I realised earlier.. You probably did expect more kills. So we can blame our loss solely on Dannyboy's and Donnut's passiveness ;).

To nuance things from my last post, I, on my part, forget something I realised earlier.. You probably did expect more kills. So we can blame our loss solely on Dannyboy's and Donnut's passiveness ;).

Oh, quiet, you. :heh: If you knew just how close I was to killing you ...

That makes no sense! :heh: Your team would've lost earlier if I had killed you. Ironically enough, I could have saved a townie by killing you!

It does make sense. I would have been gone, but that's part of the game. You on the other hand, would have gotten a lot of attention, as people don't like vigilantes around these parts :rolleyes:. And besides me you could perhaps have gotten some townies killed as well. But that's all hypothetical. We will never know what would've happened.

I'm proud of my play this game. Genuinely surprised I lived till the end, especially after my power was revealed so early. Pulled off various survival techniques, and did the "accuse every town member in sight to save your own skin" thing to a tee.

It does make sense. I would have been gone, but that's part of the game. You on the other hand, would have gotten a lot of attention, as people don't like vigilantes around these parts :rolleyes:. And besides me you could perhaps have gotten some townies killed as well. But that's all hypothetical. We will never know what would've happened.

This was near the end of the game; I was blatantly town at that point, and I would've only gained more trust by killing off a mafioso.

But I never killed exactly because I was so suspicious for a long time that I couldn't afford killing off wrong people. When I wasn't suspicious anymore we were so close to the end that a wrong kill could prove fatal to the town.

Still, it does bug me that I never felt sure enough (read: was too much of a pussy) to actually kill someone in my first vigilante role.

Wohoo, goooo town. I was pretty inactive in that last day phase, due to having lots of work to do and going to work. I had an incline that The Peeps was mafia, think I started looking into it properly in the day phase before, so I'm not surprised. You played well!

Thought the mafia played well during the day. Kinda shot themselves in the foot by Smeagol giving away the info about the keys early on, but luckily we got him in the end. Bit flukey, but they all count.

Chuffed to win on my first game, although I don't think I played all that well. But, I know how the game works and its been a great learning experience for me. Best player in the game was Mr Paul. We needed someone to start pointing us in the right direction and he took charge well.

Only things I didn't like were:

- The night phases were toooo long and it kinda killed some of the momentum of the game. There were phases where it was awesome, we all got pumped, and then we wouldn't play again for 2 or 3 days. The game struggled in that respect.

- Nefarious...I think you realised at the end (in your post) that you got that one wrong, so fair play to you for coming out with that.

As for the rest, loved the game. It was so exciting to play. I can see why people rate your games highly, Jonnas. This was fun.

Moarrr.

IIRC I did claim Smeagol to be mafia early on and no-one really followed that.

I think there was too much talk. MOAR ACTION.

But it was a really good game. Well done Jonnas again, I liked my role it is a shame people kept saying I was a bullfighter and therefore suspicious.

Gracias ;)

IIRC I did claim Smeagol to be mafia early on and no-one really followed that.

I think there was too much talk. MOAR ACTION.

But it was a really good game. Well done Jonnas again, I liked my role it is a shame people kept saying I was a bullfighter and therefore suspicious.

Gracias ;)

People claimed you were suspicious for being a bullfighter someone mistaken for a bullfighter?

Anyway, I love the amount of discussion in these games! :D It's the discussions combined with the great plot and characters that grip me so much. :)

Dannyboy has a point. These games are epic because of the participants, considering they always play in a way I never expect them to.

- The night phases were toooo long and it kinda killed some of the momentum of the game. There were phases where it was awesome, we all got pumped, and then we wouldn't play again for 2 or 3 days. The game struggled in that respect.

I may instate shorter days and nights for my next mafia. As long as the mafia can send their targets in time.

Also, Epilogue!

------------------------

A small boat sailed in the night. Claude Gallandeau had a few drinks, but could still steer it well. He glanced at the girl, staring into the horizon.

"Ah, Sveta! I know you lost your master, but try not to mope too much."

The girl kept her silence

"...Ah, faites comme tu veux. I just want to go back to France, now. No more dangerous games pour mo-"

"Quiet!"

"Hem?"

"I hear something! In that direction!"

The boat steered closer to the source of the sound. Soon, they could make out...someone in the darkness. They were on top of some floaty object, apparently stranded at sea.

"Mon Dieux! Es-tu bien, mon ami? Are you alright? Here, get on the boat"

"...Sméagol? Thank you for your help!"

The man formerly known as ReZ Horseman climbed aboard, along with two cats and an orange ostrich.

"Hm? Is that raft of yours moving?"

Gentleman.jpg

"Indeed! Who knew that bears could float, eh?"

-------------------------------

"So, three keys in Zell's possession, belonging to Cube, Dannyboy and the original mr-paul..."

"Confirmed."

"A fourth key dropped by Angus MacNeil upon his death, belonging to ReZ..."

"Confirmed."

"And the fifth one is still with Flinky."

"Indeed. And it is King Flinky from now on!"

"Very well, then, we may release Her Majesty at last."

The seven gentlemen approached the locked door, and inserted the five keys into the five locks.

And with that, they opened the door. Behind that door was...

To Be Continued

Disclaimer: I am currently not planning a Gents III. But I like to keep my options open.