NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pit-Jr

Dragon's Dogma

Not sure whats going on in that trailer but it looks and sounds stellar!

"From the creators behind some of Capcom’s best action games, including the critically acclaimed Resident Evil® 4 and Devil May Cry® 4, comes their next opus, Dragon’s Dogma.

Set in a huge open world, Dragon’s Dogma is a unique action experience that blends exciting and fulfilling combat with the freedom to explore and interact in a rich, living and breathing world. With your party of three you set out on an epic adventure to track down and destroy a mysterious dragon. Along the way you’ll encounter some of the biggest and baddest beasts ever to roam the land, and only skilful play and tactical teamwork can save the day.

Utilizing an enhanced version of Capcom’s proprietary MT Framework® engine that delivered the groundbreaking graphical styles and lighting effects used in Resident Evil® 5 and Lost Planet® 2, Dragon’s Dogma expands the environment to create a vast, richly detailed world, ripe for exploration. Dragon’s Dogma will deliver a whole new world of action to PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft® in 2012."

So combination of Monster Hunter and Demon's Soul.

...but... but... it does! ;)

It's looking a bit clumsy and over ambitious atm (I realise there's a lot more development to do, but still), camera needs sorting...

Loving the running animation across that field!

Edited by Retro_Link

Anyone tried the demo yet? It plays quite well, to be honest. Climbing onto a huge Griffin and stabbing it while it flies around is really fun. The three AI party members also do a good job.

I'll probably pre-oder the game next week.

I don't think the demo's very good, although I do intend to buy the full game; such games don't really lend themselves to confined, impersonal sampling.

The character creator deserves a special mention by virtue of producing results that don't look like they're carved from potato, although you can also come out with some monstrosities if that's your thing. It's nice that your character and main Pawn will be transferred to the game proper, too.

At the moment I'm trying to pick my poison: the PS3 version's lower framerate or the 360's horrible screen tearing. I suspect I'll have to leave my choice until the last minute as a consequence, wait for impressions of the retail version.

I liked the demo but theres way too much on-screen clutter. Turning all of it off was a much better experience and made me more careful during combat since i had no idea how much HP i had left.

If only someone would make some sort of tablet controller with a large screen to house such clutter and statistics

Really really enjoying this. Has a sort of "just a few more kills and then Ill take a break" sorta feel to it as the combat is great, ai responsive and smart, online implementation reminiscent of Demon Souls and just generally lots of fun. It's also got a nice bit of challenge in the game so listening to the constant advice that you are given is wise, such as being prepared before heading out, especially if you are travelling by night.

EDIT: Oh yeah @Pit\-Jr you're Arya pawn is awesome lol. So damn cocky but a handy pawn to have around. Think I have given her some knowledge on some quests and monsters but that's it lol. Think i was able to hire her for free because you are on my friends list.

Edited by Deathjam

I say this completely seriously: it's one of this generation's best games.

It's not perfect by a long shot, but the combat is fantastic, its new ideas interesting and it has a shadow of the Souls games' uncompromising streak that really adds to the sense of adventure; when setting out you need to consider the time of day and how you're going to get to your destination.

Also, don't be fooled by the aesthetics: this is a Japanese studio making a Japanese game. This is especially true of the game's final hours, but I'll leave it at that.

I say this completely seriously: it's one of this generation's best games.

It's not perfect by a long shot, but the combat is fantastic, its new ideas interesting and it has a shadow of the Souls games' uncompromising streak that really adds to the sense of adventure; when setting out you need to consider the time of day and how you're going to get to your destination.

Also, don't be fooled by the aesthetics: this is a Japanese studio making a Japanese game. This is especially true of the game's final hours, but I'll leave it at that.

I have had this game for just about 24 hours. If I wasn't watching the football, I would be playing the game now. Surprised at how much I am enjoying it, considering there were other games I was anticipating more, but they failed to entice me, such as Diablo III.

If anyone is on the fence about this game, visit youtube and watch an episode of a playthru. Pretty much made my decision for me.

@Aimless would you mind if I add you on PSN? Would like to see what your pawn is like.

I wouldn't mind, no, but I've only really dabbled in the PS3 version, having completed the game on 360. As such my Pawn isn't currently anything to write home about; I went with a Mage on Xbox, so going for a Ranger on PlayStation.

The PS3 copy is a rental, but I might buy it for the system too so the odds of a sequel go up. As a first stab it does a lot of things right but a follow up could be an immeasurable improvement, especially on new hardware; the game can look absolutely stunning or kind of crap, depending on when you look.

EDIT: Oh yeah @Pit\-Jr you're Arya pawn is awesome lol. So damn cocky but a handy pawn to have around. Think I have given her some knowledge on some quests and monsters but that's it lol. Think i was able to hire her for free because you are on my friends list.

Awesome! I didnt realize she was being used by anyone on here. I like how Arya-like she turned out, particularly the voiceover is uncanny.

Like the rest of you, i find this game highly underrated. The devs really put the focus on the combat and character development....the things that really matter in a game like this. The combat in something like Skyrim feels archaic by comparison

There are some tedious things that i dont care for such as keeping items fresh or combining herbs but its pretty much optional and there for people who do like that sort of thing.

Hopefully more people will run out and buy this because id love a next-gen sequel!

Awesome! I didnt realize she was being used by anyone on here. I like how Arya-like she turned out, particularly the voiceover is uncanny.

Like the rest of you, i find this game highly underrated. The devs really put the focus on the combat and character development....the things that really matter in a game like this. The combat in something like Skyrim feels archaic by comparison

There are some tedious things that i dont care for such as keeping items fresh or combining herbs but its pretty much optional and there for people who do like that sort of thing.

Hopefully more people will run out and buy this because id love a next-gen sequel!

Yeah Arya turned out really really well lol. Im still only lv 24 and she is 31 so she will be with me for a while longer yet.

And I hate to draw comparisons with skyrim, but as a fellow open world medieval type action adventure game, the action in skyrim is lacking to the point where it feels lazy. I mean really, it hasn't moved on far from oblivion, which even then was lacking at the time haha.

Anyways, been checking out the store and there is there are some dlc quests available. Anyone know if there are worth getting and how hard they are?

Anyways, been checking out the store and there is there are some dlc quests available. Anyone know if there are worth getting and how hard they are?

The impression I got was that they're much like the other job board postings, so "Find item X" or "Kill Y of Z". There's not exactly a shortage of those in the game already, so personally I'm not going to bother; I might fork out if they release a discounted bundle at a later date.

The impression I got was that they're much like the other job board postings, so "Find item X" or "Kill Y of Z". There's not exactly a shortage of those in the game already, so personally I'm not going to bother; I might fork out if they release a discounted bundle at a later date.

Yeah that was my initial plan. It seems like the weapon packs aren't worth much at the moment either.

Just 'properly' finished this game. Fave of this gen so far, even with it's flaws it's a diamond in the rough. Thoroughly enjoyable and really highly anticipating a sequel. It's a shame the dlc is typical uninspired capcom bilge though.

Thank god I haven't bought the 'original' when it first came out.

Now Dark Arisen is on its way. Hope it will be delivered tomorrow. Cannot wait to dive into another action RPG :)

Edited by drahkon

28-large_default.jpg

FINALLY gotten my platinum! Only taken me a year and a half but had so much fun achieving it, I don't mind really. Still my fave game of 'last' gen.

Been playing this all day and loving it so far. The controls are probably the best of any RPG I've ever played. Plus the pawn system is an awesome idea.

The only down side I've found so far is that it's not always clear what to do and the story is a bit shit, but I'm still early on.

Been playing this all day and loving it so far. The controls are probably the best of any RPG I've ever played. Plus the pawn system is an awesome idea.

The only down side I've found so far is that it's not always clear what to do and the story is a bit shit, but I'm still early on.

Glad to see another is enjoying this. Quick tip, try and make sure your pawns dont have the inclination of guardian, as it hampers their effectiveness in combat more often than not.

Glad to see another is enjoying this. Quick tip, try and make sure your pawns dont have the inclination of guardian, as it hampers their effectiveness in combat more often than not.

Too late, his major characteristic is Guardian. That can't be changed right? It's just the secondary one that can be changed?

It's amazing how much difference good pawns can make. I was getting owned by hobgoblins and ogres, but since I leveled up a bit and switched pawns I've managed to kill 2 ogres in a row. It's felt like a struggle so far, but now I'm starting to feel like a badass. My own pawn is also starting to get a bit beefy, with stat numbers starting to soar.

I chose to play a strider/ranger and have my pawn as a big bastard warrior. I also tend to hire a mage and a fighter to compliment my warrior. Seems pretty good so far.

Sign in to follow this