NEurope
Ashley

GameTrailers & IE

IGNORE. It's been sorted.

Retro-Link has been moaning (yeah I said it, moaning :heh:) at me for ages to try and sort out the apparent problems that we've had with the GameTrailers tag.

I thought I solved it and he said its still not working...then pointed out he's on IE.

So I'm guessing this is a common thing and its, essentially, to do with IE. Just to check that can you let me know:

1. Which version of IE are you using?

2. Which, if any, of these work?

If they don't work and you don't use IE let me know what you do use.

I'm not saying this will/can be fixed (except...) but I'm just trying to see if it is an IE issue.

a.

b.

c.

Edited by Ashley

Main: Chrome 10: all work

Backup: IE 9: none work

Currently no version of Firefox installed.

Firefox 4 works fine, Internet Explorer 8 just loads white boxes.

White boxes with IE9, fine with Chrome and Firefox on Windows 7.

1. Google Chrome

a. Freezes Chrome for about 10 secs then plays top left corner of the video (crops 3/4 of it). Same for both home and work PC (both Win 7).

b. Works but with massive black borders.

c. Works perfectly.

Works fine in Opera 11.01, I'd venture a guess that IE is the problem.

I'm 99% certain it is IE but I just wanted others to check as I don't have IE.

People actually use IE? I thought it was just a myth.

Some people juggle geese.

Chrome 12 Dev version. All work fine.

I load up IE8 and none of them work.

Chrome 10: All work, [c] being the best one.

Firefox 4: All work, [c] being the best one.

Internet Explorer 9: None work, white boxes with a red X on the top left.

60% of the internet still uses IE6. Nearly 2/3rds of this planet are using the worst browser imaginable, it wouldn't even be as bad if they moved up to IE7 or 8.

I know, it's shocking to tell the least.

Videos working fine in both Opera and Firefox, not in IE9 though (yes, Microsoft installed it, then wiped my Scarface soundtrack).

60% of the internet still uses IE6. Nearly 2/3rds of this planet are using the worst browser imaginable, it wouldn't even be as bad if they moved up to IE7 or 8.

It's only 11.6% of the world according to Microsoft. And almost half of that is China.

It's almost ironic that even Microsoft are trying to stop people from using IE6, not that I blame them. Can't wait until we can stop adding compatibility for IE6 on websites.

Whoops, maybe I think I was confusing IE6 with total IE numbers in that case.

The biggest problem with IE6 in the UK is councils. They all have software and intranets designed to run on old Windows XP machines with IE6. The users can't update, even if they want to, and to rehaul would cost millions. It's a real pain in the ass, because IE6 has a lot of problems and is very insecure. We designed and built a website once for Rotherham Business Centres, which are council funded buildings, meaning that the people who had hired us were looking at the site in IE6, so we constantly had to rebuild for IE6 as it was being done.

To put it simply, I am not interested in catering for an outdated browser. If you cannot see Gametrailers videos because you are using IE, suck it up and get a real browser.

We have to use internet explorer 6 on our work database web page, because the trust won't fund the upgrade costs from the provider, LOL

Just curious, did you find the problem yet?

Anyway, it's not working in IE 10 either :p.

The problem seems to be the ironically named Internet Explorer :heh:

The thing is.. I doubt it's because IE is simply incapable of displaying those videos. Say all you want, but before I started using Chrome, I can't remember any big problems IE had. Sure, display errors like I've posted here before (and it still seems to have), but no things that simply didn't work at all. IE doesn't have a problem with Flash in itself.. What codecs are those GameTrailer videos using?

Look at this page:

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Graphics/VideoFormatSupport/Default.html

Everything works there. Perhaps there's simply some IE specific code missing from you ehh code?

[link]

Edit:

Fact is, the above video (and I assume the ones you posted as well), simply works when viewed on the Gametrailers site, on IE 9 & 10 (and I could test 5, 7 and 8 as well). So it must be something in the embed code..

It's been a while for me, looking at code :rolleyes:. Had to do some googling, how about that. I still don't know the specifics, but it seems to be an object vs embed thing.

Solution:

Get the embed code out of the object code nest. The object code still won't work, but the embed code will.

Edit:

Final comment:

Using the embed code in itself, it works on IE 5 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10, Firefox 4, Chrome 10, Opera 10.

The object code, on the other hand, doesn't work on any of them. So there lies your problem.

Edited by Sméagol
Automerged Doublepost

Can someone let me know if this works on IE please:

Yep, it's working :) Koola-Limpa!