NEurope
Ike

Sonic Generations

Modern Sonic is awesome! Loved how there was multiple routes like in Sonic Unleashed, speed felt right and controlled fine.

Classic Sonic is definatly enjoyable but as we said during the first demo he does feel a little too fast, as when you are going full speed you can't really see what is going on.

Can't wait for the full game! :D

Played the demo. I'm not convinced about Classic Sonic. As stated earlier, he goes too fast and the camera is too far zoomed in so you can't really see as much as you can in say Sonic 4.

Also, Spindash just being the X button and having to hold it rather than "rev" it up by multiple presses kept on irking me :/

Also, Spindash just being the X button and having to hold it rather than "rev" it up by multiple presses kept on irking me :/

I just ignore the X button and do it the classic way.

The only thing that irked me about the latest demo was RoboChao, I really hope you can turn that little fucker off, I don't need to be told how to play a game that I've been playing since the very series began thank you very much! :mad:

Everything else was excellent, roll on November 4th! :D

I just ignore the X button and do it the classic way.

I tried that and it wasn't working...just had Sonic either duck or then slightly move

I tried that and it wasn't working...just had Sonic either duck or then slightly move

Odd. It worked like that in the first demo (I haven't tried this one yet - internet isn't activated until tomorrow).

Something wrong with ur controller?

I'm playing the new demo at the moment just to be sure and the old school way of doing it still works with classic sonic...

Weird, will have to double check when I get the game. Deleted the demo already :p

I also love how I remembered the old little tips to keep you going fast on modern sonic as you did in Sonic Unleashed... when in the air and going down hold down B as you shoot down faster and then hold X to use the boost to get back up to full speed quickly! :D

The game is up for pre order on Steam for £19.99. Fully integrated Steamworks too, looks like they mean business with the PC version this time.

Spin dash worked for me (down + A).

I also love how I remembered the old little tips to keep you going fast on modern sonic as you did in Sonic Unleashed... when in the air and going down hold down B as you shoot down faster and then hold X to use the boost to get back up to full speed quickly! :D

Ah, good tip. Didn't think of trying that.

The game is up for pre order on Steam for £19.99. Fully integrated Steamworks too, looks like they mean business with the PC version this time.

D'oh! It was £29.99 about an hour ago so I ordered the retail copy from Amazon instead for £18. Oh well.

I do think Modern Sonic's stages are actually better than Classic's. I was more interested in Classic Sonic as well. The game plays best if you take the highest route, really fast and skips loads of the more annoying sections.

Tried the demo today. It's....actually quite good. I'm surprised. Might even buy it.

Well, the first Sonic Generations review is in, from VideoGamesZone.de: http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.videogameszone.de%2FSonic-Generations-Xbox360-236810%2FTests%2FSonic-Generations-im-Test-fuer-PS3-und-Xbox-360-Sonic-findet-zu-alter-Staerke-zurueck-851132%2F

The final verdict is 85%. Not a bad score tbh! :grin:

They praise the game's unlockable content and hidden secrets, the stage selection and the combination of 2D and 3D gameplay. However the negative points include it's “inconsequential story” and the controls.

After playing the demo, I'm so glad the 3DS version sticks to 2D gameplay.

I'm not, the 3D stuff is at the very least about as good as 3D Sonic has ever came to getting it right.

You never randomly fly off the track for no fault of your own and honestly considering the speed of the game, the handling is pretty decent. You don't get "stuck" in the environment, it's not always 100% smooth but it's never even close to broken. My friend and I played the modern demo about 5 times total in a row. It always felt to me like I was in control of where I was going and I felt the incentive to go back and try to get to the higher paths, just to see how exciting they would be.

Even if not 100% perfect, I think it's good enough to make it worth seeing reimagined versions of old stages done in 3D. I don't need 100% perfect controls to have a good reason to want to play Chemical Plant Zone in 3D.

So I played the demo last night.

I rather enjoyed it. The modern sonic sections, once I got a feel for the controls, were very enjoyable. They seem to have struck a good balance between proper platforming and those 'Automatic' sections that act as a nice visual distraction but make a 3D sonic shoddy when there is too many of them. There seems to be enough alternative routes and everything moves rather nicely. If I'm nit picking, the homing attack on enemies took a little too long to work and broke the flow of the game slightly. I did however like the addition of the left/right bumper controls - dashing from left to right when you were running.

The classic sonic section in the demo I didn't enjoy as much. The camera seemed to really struggle to keep up with sonic some times and I didn't feel like I was controlling sonic as much as I was just holding right. However, this could well be down to green hill zone rather than the game itself. The jumping also felt a tad... floaty?

Overall I enjoyed it and could see myself buying the full game. There is a niggling feeling that it might be a bit style over substance at the moment but that will mainly come down to level design. If the levels are up to scratch, it could be a very good sonic game indeed and the best 3D sonic by some margin.

Edited by ipaul

Have any of you seen how much people are asking for their limited edition sets on ebay? Starting at £240 all the way through to £400... and some one has already bought it for £240.

Jesus.. I think there's a hell of a demand from the US fans.

IGN's Review is in...

... and they gave it 8.5/10!! Considering IGN's views on past Sonic games, this is a deffinite improvement. Sonic is back! :grin:

Thier only complaints are that there's far to few boss fights, the fact that the Chaos Emeralds are unlocked in the story and not in bonus levels and that the controls can be slightly clunky.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211024p1.html

I expected a score like this to be honest. From the demos I have played and the things I have read I had high hopes and it appears that they are going to be met! :grin:

Can't wait to get my collectors edition next week!!

Man, I had no idea I'd be sitting on a Collector's Edition worth 3 times the amount I paid for it when I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. But I won't be selling it - Sonic is essentially what got me in to gaming, this game seems to be ne of the best Sonic games since the Dreamcast, and I'm more than happy to pay £75 for what looks like one of the best CE's I've seen in a long time.

Its nice to see that Collectors Editions are starting to become Collectors items instead of £69.99 and then reduced to £20 with thousands of copies left after launch *cough SFIV*.

Its nice to see that Collectors Editions are starting to become Collectors items instead of £69.99 and then reduced to £20 with thousands of copies left after launch *cough SFIV*.

So true! Well looking forward to getting mine!

I felt betrayed with the Bioshock 2 "special edition" paid a fortune for it... was reduced loads few weeks after launch :shakehead

Man, I had no idea I'd be sitting on a Collector's Edition worth 3 times the amount I paid for it when I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. But I won't be selling it - Sonic is essentially what got me in to gaming, this game seems to be ne of the best Sonic games since the Dreamcast, and I'm more than happy to pay £75 for what looks like one of the best CE's I've seen in a long time.

Pretty much how I feel..

Unless it breaks the £500 mark =P haha. So hyped for Thursday/Friday to come, depending on how awesome Amazon wants to be.

Pretty much!

It's coming out this week eh? Fucking bonza. I'd forgotton it was November.

I know better than to get excited for a new Sonic game these days, but what the hell? I'm getting hyped.