NEurope
Ike

Sonic Generations

One thing I'm very glad about is the removal of the homing attack from the boost button (and mapping it back to jump) as that was a pretty stupid design choice in Unleashed.

Certainly looks very nice but then looking good never seems to be too much of a problem for the guy at least. I still find the 3D part more visually exciting than the 2D even if that has more in the way of actual gameplay. I say the 3D part... it seems to give just as much time to the side on view as it does behind Sonic - maybe they felt they went a bit too far with Colours which was 70% 2D gameplay. Then again, they have classic Sonic to help bump up that overall percentage split so maybe as a game, it is a pretty similar distribution of gameplay.

I agree with you Cube about the modern music sounding a bit iffy. They've obviously kept classic Sonic's version reasonably close to the original much like they did with SA2's Green Hill Zone.

I wonder what they will do for the more recent entries though. If I'm playing through City Escape, will classic Sonic get the original version and modern Sonic, who's game series it is from, get an updated one or will they swap them around around and give modern Sonic the original style one and classic Sonic the remix...

I have no idea if City Escape will be in, but I know the guy's recorded a new version of Escape from the City as they said so a while back but it was never confirmed what it was for - the Sonic Adventure soundtracks are due a re-release and it might have been for that or it might be for this.

I'm praying it's for this!

Posted the wrong trailer there MCJ so I've swapped it now but it anything in there would have been covered by the second video anyway.

The physics do seem a lot more in keeping with what we are used too from the old games. I'd argue he's still moving a bit fast in 2D as you can't see that far ahead. That's where Sonic 4 was slightly better as his speed was much slower and it allowed you to see stuff coming up.

I'd hate to try and play that on a none widescreen TV - I've tried playing Sonic 4 on one and gave up... though he does sit slightly to the right of the screen which doesn't help.

I didn't want to nitpick but Ya he's moving a bit too fast. It's hard to tell with the physics. I need another video but I saw something refreshing in that trailer.... actual PLATFORMING.

The big problem I can see with this is the graphics... It clashes... It seems very hard to know what you can and CANNOT jump on... That's one problem using a 3D graphics engine in a 2d game.

I didn't want to nitpick but Ya he's moving a bit too fast. It's hard to tell with the physics. I need another video but I saw something refreshing in that trailer.... actual PLATFORMING.

The big problem I can see with this is the graphics... It clashes... It seems very hard to know what you can and CANNOT jump on... That's one problem using a 3D graphics engine in a 2d game.

Classic Sonic at full pelt doesn't seem much slower than modern Sonic boosting and that could quite easily just be a visual trick with the blurring meaning they are going at the same pace. But modern Sonic can boost to attack and the camera sometimes angles slightly to give you more view ahead whilst still being fairly side on.

As for physics comments, I'm going on what I saw and the belief that the player isn't intentionally trying to mask a problem. There doesn't appear to be any floatiness with his jumping at least and the way he was running off platforms looking convincingly solid so it's all good so far.

It doesn't strike me as being confusing as to what can be jumped on... the only thing I find slightly jarring with the visuals is classic Sonic's size compared to those swinging platforms. They look like they were taken from a completely different game. The 3D sections looked as gorgeous as they ever do.

It doesn't strike me as being confusing as to what can be jumped on... the only thing I find slightly jarring with the visuals is classic Sonic's size compared to those swinging platforms. They look like they were taken from a completely different game. The 3D sections looked as gorgeous as they ever do.

This'll be a problem in the hard platforming sections I find. What you have is a complete 3d environment.... but with 2d gameplay. Which is quite strange.

SonicGenerations1--article_image.jpg

Here's screenshot. There's a LOT going on here. The game might get away with it if they keep the platforming easy ( like you see in the video) but that would be disappointing too.

Usually 2d platformers these days like new super mario bros have 2d backgrounds mixed with a mostly 3d foreground so you can OBVIOUSLY see what you can and cannot step on.

See I don't know how the game will be divided up yet, from what I've seen I'm going to guess the focus will be on the 3D gameplay. I don't think this will be as good as Sonic colours. I await more info though.

I noticed they are using the Sonic CD jump sound effect which seems a bit odd to me, but whatever.

For me that retarded decision is actually a dealbreaker. That sound irritates the hell out of me. It's undeniably shittier sounding than the megadrive sound.

For me that retarded decision is actually a dealbreaker. That sound irritates the hell out of me. It's undeniably shittier sounding than the megadrive sound.

They probably opted to use it cause it's a better quality sample I guess? Meh I don't know.

Well it's not like Sonic trailers haven't used sound FX in a place holder fashion before - such as the Unleashed trailers that gave the losing ring sound every time Sonic collected one. It might be that they just stuffed that in there as it was the first one they could get their hands one though you'd think they'd have the one from Sonic 4 laying around somewhere - I'd imagine they were trying it with both and it just so happened that that one was used when the trailers were made.

Plus, these trailers may have only just been released but we have no idea when they were made. They could be a version of the game that is months old, it could be different now.

Oh yes, and whilst this is the 20th Anniversary game, and we all know Sonic's birthday is 23rd June, just so we all know, in case it wasn't mentioned, it isn't due out until the end of the year.

Well it's not like Sonic trailers haven't used sound FX in a place holder fashion before - such as the Unleashed trailers that gave the losing ring sound every time Sonic collected one.

This is what I figured, though when making these trailers I don't see what extra effort it takes for them to use the proper sound effects? Unless these trailers are literally thrown together within minutes...

Well during the first video i got hard.

The second I came.

:D

I want!!

good god this game looks awesome! i'm glad they are going back to what worked, the last time i liked a console sonic game was sonic adventure 2, and even then it wasn't as good as sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles

Do you actually do anything in the modern version? Looks like you press boost and watch the screen blur...

The classic part looks amazing.

The modern part looks boring.

You don't appear to do anything except sail through at high speeds. It's as if it's a racing game but there's no opponents. There's the occasional platform jumping but it's literally 'boost boost boost boost boost boost 2 jumps to a new level boost boost boost boost boost boost boost boost jump boost end'

Boost.

There's nothing to it. Hopefully it will be worth it just for the classic sections because they look great.

The classic part looks amazing.

The modern part looks boring.

You don't appear to do anything except sail through at high speeds. It's as if it's a racing game but there's no opponents. There's the occasional platform jumping but it's literally 'boost boost boost boost boost boost 2 jumps to a new level boost boost boost boost boost boost boost boost jump boost end'

Boost.

There's nothing to it. Hopefully it will be worth it just for the classic sections because they look great.

If you have played Unleashed you will know that the 'modern' sonic levels are nothing like that.

In fairness to the trailer, the guy playing it happens to be pretty decent and clearly knows the level as he makes it seem like its just "boost boost boost boost boost boost 2 jumps".

I guarantee when you get the game (if you do) and try to "boost boost boost boost boost boost 2 jumps" through a modern level you will not last 10 seconds. Anyone who has 'S' ranked Apotos day time stage in Unleashed will testify that.

For me, the modern sonic looks better than the classic.

You just need to be able to handle the pace. :grin:

It just doesn't look like there's anything obstructing you. I saw a couple of enemies at one point but there were like 8 in total? And fairly far apart. The grinding parts... what do you do there? You're getting chased by that big fish but there was just the one path at that point and just the one way to go.

Fair enough I've not played Unleashed but judging from that video it really doesn't look like there's anything to do. Definitely not as much as the classic level. Maybe I'll be proved wrong though, I do intend to buy the game and find out.

(That'd be different with other levels, I'm sure. LAVA!)

... But yeah. Sonic is just soo... lost. I mean, the game's not caught up with the current gen and I don't really think their 'modern' idea of sonic (a 1-player racing game) is all that up-to-date.

1st-person sonic in a fully open environment with a time limit to collect rings and free little furry things and kill enemies. That's what's needed.

Mind you, I was never bothered about sonic when i was younger either so I don't have that nostalgia addiction that sonic fans need their fix for.

It just doesn't look like there's anything obstructing you. I saw a couple of enemies at one point but there were like 8 in total? And fairly far apart. The grinding parts... what do you do there? You're getting chased by that big fish but there was just the one path at that point and just the one way to go.

Fair enough I've not played Unleashed but judging from that video it really doesn't look like there's anything to do. Definitely not as much as the classic level. Maybe I'll be proved wrong though, I do intend to buy the game and find out.

Aneres mentioned getting an S-Rank in Apotos is difficult, but it isn't. Apotos is pathetically easy, because it's the first level. I'm willing to believe Green Hill is the same thing here.

Now, here's a level that requires a bit more control

You can even see the guy stumbling here and there. What the video doesn't show is that there are multiple paths and collectible objects scattered throughout the stage, which warrant a few more visits, at least.

S-Ranking a level and finding the best possible path are half the fun in Sonic Unleashed. The fact that simply beating the stages is incredibly fun by itself helps a lot.

Apotos is pathetically easy, because it's the first level. I'm willing to believe Green Hill is the same thing here.
Yeah that's what I was thinking... it's the first level... it's gonna get harder, same with all 3D Sonics.

Actually I have S ranked every Unleashed stage and no, the difficulty doesn't increase until the very last 2 or so levels when the levels are like 7 minutes long and are full of hazards.

The 4 or 5 in between are very much all of the same kind of thing you will find in Apotos.

S ranking that level isn't pathetically easy either, it takes a good few tries before you can get near an S.

In my opinion of course. :awesome:

The level also includes a reference to Nack the Weasel/Fang the Sniper in a wanted poster.

That SO wasn't the music I wanted them to use in that trailer!!

Agreed... that shit doesn't have a place even in a trailer and it so better not be in the game, just give us the original City Escape theme and all will be well.

The actual game footage, level looks decent though...

I wanted Escape from the City, not the music from a My Chemical Romance song about drugs.