NEurope
jayseven

General Book Thread

On 1/4/2019 at 4:23 PM, Magnus said:

Oh. I've actually recommended the movie just based on how much I liked the book. No wonder people don't take my recommendations seriously!

The movie was definitely good, a worthy recommendation. But, after the book I find it hard not to be disappointed when you're holding out for certain really good scenes and they're dropped altogether.

• Like 1

Finished Annihilation last night. Started reading it because I was curious about the film, and thought I'd read the book first.

After finishing the book I don't think I'll bother with the film. Just awful.

Just a weirdly waffly mess with no ending or fully formed ideas. Nothing is explained or thought through. Imo it's just had sci-fi writing when you just make stuff up for the purpose of being mysterious with no idea of how to explain any of it.

Apparently there are two more books which explore and reveal more, but since the first book made no effort to do so at all, why should I bother.

I downloaded my 100th audiobook the other day. Which sounds really impressive as long as you ignore the fact that it's taken me just over four years to get there.

F7sbk5V.png

I'm looking for a series to read. 

I enjoy the A Song of Ice and Fire series for its political intrigue, twists and amazing characters. I'm not that fond of the setting (fantasy/medieval), though. Anybody know of a series like that but with a more modern setting? I quite like magical settings (something like The Night Circus).

14 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm looking for a series to read. 

I enjoy the A Song of Ice and Fire series for its political intrigue, twists and amazing characters. I'm not that fond of the setting (fantasy/medieval), though. Anybody know of a series like that but with a more modern setting? I quite like magical settings (something like The Night Circus).

Have you ever read the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman?

If not then I can recommend those three books, also... there's a new trilogy being written by him at the moment called The Book of Dust of which the first volume is out now.

It might be a bit of a wait for the other two books though, as it has already been two decades between the original trilogy and his latest work.

This reminds me... I still have The Book of Dust - Volume One - La Belle Sauvage to read... it's been here on top of a pile of books since the end of 2017... :blush:

I'm going to actually read a book for a change, I can't believe that I was so excited for this book to come out years ago, I finally get it and then don't read it, that's just odd.

Although I was ready for the book to come out nearly half my life-time ago, so expectations have changed since then but I'm lucky to have the book to read so here we go! :peace:

In any case, that's what I would recommend as there is plenty of political intrigue contained within Phillip Pullman's work in additon to other aspects as well.

I really don't read that many books and even when I do it's not often enough but he made me want to read so that I can only be a good thing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

I don't know if this will matter, but this is getting a new TV adaptation. BBC. Some time this year.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I have not. I did, however, just buy a used copy of the first book for 2,70€ on ebay :D Should be here next week :) 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I don't know if this will matter, but this is getting a new TV adaptation. BBC. Some time this year.

Ah yes, I remember hearing about this some time ago but completely forgot about it. :D

I just checked the info on it, it looks like they've got a decent cast together and that they are hopefully being faithful to the books this time which is encouraging to hear.

Anything has got to be better than the intial film adaptation titled The Golden Compass which was released way back in 2007... :blank:

I look forward to this new adaptation, let's hope that it can live up to the reputation of the original books. :peace: