NEurope
jayseven

General Book Thread

Started reading S by Doug Dorst and J. J. Abrams.

booktitle.jpg

s3.jpg%3Fw%3D610%26h%3D457

From Wikipedia:

The novel is unusual in its format, presented as a story within a story. It is composed of the fictional novel Ship of Theseus by a fictional author, and hand-written notes filling the book's margins as a dialogue between two college students hoping to uncover the author's mysterious identity and the novel's secret plus loose supplementary materials tucked in between pages.

It's already such a great experience. After House of Leaves I just couldn't immediately go back to 'traditional' books.

I think I need to check out S and House of Leaves. They look very interesting.

Of course, these will need to be physical versions.

Of course, these will need to be physical versions.

They have to be. Man, I still remember one train ride a couple of months ago. I was reading a certain chapter and about halfway through I realized: "The book controls me, controls my subconsciousness, my emotions." It sounds silly but that was what I thought.

House of Leaves has been the greatest reading experience I've ever had.

Perfect description:

"A novelistic mosaic that simultaneously reads like a thriller and like a strange, dreamlike excursion into the subconscious" - The New York Times

Edited by drahkon

I'm currently reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, am about halfway through the book but things keep coming up so I don't have much time to read (damn you, Majora!). I'm liking it quite a lot so far, Jorg is really an interesting character, albeit a bit disturbed.

I've stopped reading S quite some time ago, because I didn't have the time to really dive into the novel.

Now, just as I was ready to start again I found out that House of Leaves author Mark Z. Danielewski has released his new work: The Familiar (Volume One) One Rainy Day in May.

Immediately ordered it and it arrived today.

I finished the book I was currently reading (Night Film by Marisha Pessl - first half was great, then you could guess/knew what was going on, but the story kept on going...it turned into a chore in the second half) and started The Familiar (Volume One) One Rainy Day in May.

Instantly captivating.

It's the first volume of a 27-book-series. The author likened it to a TV-Series. Two or three volumes per year. Gonna be interesting 13 years :D

My local WH Smiths is shutting down so was in the end of last week having a look at what books they had as they've got most of their stock on sale for half price or more. Saw a couple of things and after reading up on some thoughts on them, decided to pick up two Jeffery Deaver novels: The Bone Collector and The Coffin Dancer, the first 2 books in a series of crime novels.

Admittedly, I was hesitant about picking up the books because I kind of think the hook for the main character (he's a quadriplegic forensic criminalist, which I think is a bit of a stretch) but thought I'll give it a shot and see how the first 2 books go. Have only previously read one of Deaver's books, The Beast Garden, which I thought was quite good and I even used it in high school as the basis of a piece of my English coursework (to talk about the malleability of the main character's moral compass), but his characters seem to be built well based on that so hopefully that will be the same here.

Been a while since I've actually sat down and read a proper novel but hoping the forensic angle on things here will keep me interested.

After finishing the Song of Ice and Fire Books (GoT) I started on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Anthology (13 books in total). Loved the first one, especially the second half of it, and the first half of the 2nd book, but struggling through the second half now. Looking forward to reading The Walking Dead: Descent which I downloaded the other day.

After finishing the Song of Ice and Fire Books (GoT) I started on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Anthology (13 books in total). Loved the first one, especially the second half of it, and the first half of the 2nd book, but struggling through the second half now. Looking forward to reading The Walking Dead: Descent which I downloaded the other day.

There are actually 14 books in the main series, but if you're struggling halfway through book 2, there's no way you'll get through book 10! Persevere though, cause the last three are like heroin in book form!

What do you guys think would be good books for a non-native English speaker (adult) looking to improve their vocab? I have a few ideas but interested to hear some others.

What do you guys think would be good books for a non-native English speaker (adult) looking to improve their vocab? I have a few ideas but interested to hear some others.

I remember Brave New World by Aldous Huxley improving my vocab in school (I was 17 at that time). The novel is amazing, as well (as everybody knows, of course).

The Circle by Dave Eggers helped me, too. I read this a year ago.

number9dream by Dave Mitchel. I found it to be a bit difficult throughout some parts, but it has both a common and a more "exotic" vocabulary.

Edited by drahkon

I would recommend Terry Pratchett. His vocab is very diverse but the narrative is not obstructed in the instance you are not able to decipher the novel wording used.

Plus it's funny-books.

I would say that David Mitchell's stuff is more 'advanced' because the language used is more esoteric - and number9dream deals with futuristic anachronisms which is difficult. I would definitely advise to avoid genres where the books make up a lot of words (so rule out harry potter for its spells and Game of Thrones for its names and slightly archaic titles/naming systems... and theoretically discworld too...damn :P).

I would recommend something like Michael Connolley's Bosch series but they also have their own lingo due to being procedural police/crime dramas. The main reason i recommend Discworld is because that's what I read when I couldn't understand words and I learnt to contextualise some 'big' words thanks to pratchett.

Agatha Christie books like And Then There Were None might be good. They're short, too.

Coming of age books, if his vocab is smaller at the moment. Things like 'Catcher in the Rye', Tom Sawyer, Famous Five, Secret Seven. Things aimed at teenagers in the UK seem challenging, but not too daunting with a good dictionary. I would say the Harry Potter books, but after seeing a few of my students struggle with them, it will depend on their experience.

There are actually 14 books in the main series, but if you're struggling halfway through book 2, there's no way you'll get through book 10! Persevere though, cause the last three are like heroin in book form!

I read on an ereader and now am 85% of the way through Book 2 and something has happened, so once again I can't put it down

Egwene and Min captured. Egwene on a leash, and unable to rebel. Awesome stuff.

Ah yes. Jordan really knew how to build each book to a climax.

I really wish I could be reading them all again for the first time!

I've been working on building up my physical book collection. Nearly filled my bookshelf

rjtUa0o.jpg

I started reading The Name of the Wind this weekend. Apparently I'm late to the party for that one but seeing as the third book has yet to be released, I say that I'm arriving at the appropriate time.

It seems quite interesting. Still only 50 pages in or something like that but I think the setting is good and the story seems interesting and mysterious. I hope it stays like this throughout the book. Has anyone here read it?

Edited by MindFreak

Returned to The Dark Tower earlier this month, currently on Wolves of the Calla. Wizard and Glass before it was absolutely fantastic, so expectations are naturally super high!

Returned to The Dark Tower earlier this month, currently on Wolves of the Calla. Wizard and Glass before it was absolutely fantastic, so expectations are naturally super high!

Wolves of the Calla was my favourite, I think. Had some really good sections, and there wasn't too much King weirdness.

I started reading The Name of the Wind this weekend. Apparently I'm late to the party for that one but seeing as the third book has yet to be released, I say that I'm arriving at the appropriate time.

It seems quite interesting. Still only 50 pages in or something like that but I think the setting is good and the story seems interesting and mysterious. I hope it stays like this throughout the book. Has anyone here read it?

I've read it. It's pretty good. The second one isn't as good, I don't think, but still looking forward to the third one.

Finished Adam Bede by George Eliot recently. One of my favourite passages:

Adam_Bede_passage.jpg

But the smile was like wine to Adam

UNF.

And my current reading list. Asked for Slade House, Crime and Punishment, A Very British Coup, and Lolita for my Birthday. Got the other two on a book shop date. The edition of C&P is delicious.

IMG_0134.jpg

I WANT TO READ THEM ALL AT ONCE.

So I've been trying to make more of an effort to set time aside and read as it's something I used to do a lot when I was younger but have struggled to do in recent years, having started many books and failed to get more than a couple of pages in and then never coming back to it.

I'd bought The Universal Tone, Carlos Santana's autobiography, and finally put it to bed in January. It was a case of never really putting aside the time to read it which was stupid because I really enjoyed reading it and reading about the history of the band, finding out things I didn't know about it (like how Neal Schon of Journey was a member at one point and some of the stories about Miles Davis and a rather harrowing one of Jimi Hendrix in a recording studio) and about the man himself and the reason behind his spiritual side.

Really good read and it's helped rope me back in to reading things. I quickly moved on and read Ayoade on Ayoade: A Cinematic Odyssey which I was given as a Christmas present and was an interesting read. Very weird at times and not exactly how I expected it to be. I was expecting something a little weird but this was really left field and towards the end, I wasn't enjoying it as much as I was at the start.

Since then, I've started up The Coffin Dancer by Jeffrey Deaver, having finished the first book in the series last year and enjoyed it despite its poor writing at times. And as part of my anniversary gift from my fiancée, I was given copies of The Night Circus and Do No Harm by Henry Marsh. Sure it was someone here who had mentioned the former book and it piqued my interest then so interested to settle down and see what it's like. But was really excited to start on the latter book there. Had heard some really good things about it and started reading it the other day and it's fascinating. I'm not hugely far into it but really can't wait to read more stories from the operating room and about the trials and tribulations of being a neurosurgeon.

It only took me finishing my first book in years but I'm back into reading properly and really enjoying it. Spent more time looking for books the last couple of weeks than I ever have and just speaking to people about things that might be of interest. Hopefully it'll continue :D

Guns, Germs & Steel - Highly recommend.

A book about how the environment shaped the development of human populations, and not innate intelligence defined by race.

Guns, Germs & Steel - Highly recommend.

A book about how the environment shaped the development of human populations, and not innate intelligence defined by race.

My wife bought this, but I've not read it yet. The guy in the bookshop gave it a glowing recommendation though.

Can I recommend The Evolution of Everything by Matt Ridley. It's about how the theory of evolution can be applied to pretty much everything, such as cultural and social aspects, and how nothing in society is really planned. I've just started it, and it's really good so far.