NEurope
flameboy

Is the world actually ending? Japan hit by quake and tsunami

Higher population, more media, and the earth is giving itself it's usual wash to rid itself of some shit. Altogether means the end of the world to a lot of people's eyes.

Anyway...b..b...b...but earth hour was meant to save the earth :shakehead

It gets worse:

Over 2800 people are being told to evacuate from the area around Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant - the plant has developed a cooling malfunction and Japan has declared a Nuclear Emergency.

Edit: And the tsunami could hit Hawaii, New Zealend, Austraila and parts of North/Central/South America.

Edited by Cube

Was that the place that was ablaze in the video with the nice commentary:

"It looks like there's a fire"

Fucking idiot.

Was that the place that was ablaze in the video with the nice commentary:

"It looks like there's a fire"

Fucking idiot.

No that was an oil refinery which caught fire due to the earthquake.

And the tsunami alarm is effective for lots of countries. If there is a wave, it should've hit Hawaii by now. Not sure if there's any news on that already?

If there is a wave, it should've hit Hawaii by now. Not sure if there's any news on that already?

Yup: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=14231324

Tsunami waves spawned by a massive earthquake in Japan have hit Hawaii.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says Kauai was the first island hit early Friday by the tsunami, which was quickly sweeping through the Hawaiian Island chain. Officials predicted Hawaii would experience waves up to 6 feet.

Residents in coastal areas of Hawaii were evacuated to refuge areas at community centers and schools while tourists in Waikiki were moved to higher floors of their high-rise hotels.

Roadways and beaches were empty as the tsunamis struck the state, which had hours to prepare.

The tsunami was generated by an 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan.

Sounds like they were fully ready for it.

Yeah when I saw a news report earlier, people in Hawaii were filling up their cars so they could drive to higher regions. Hopefully this tsunami alarm means there won't be any casualties in other countries.

Yeah when I saw a news report earlier, people in Hawaii were filling up their cars so they could drive to higher regions. Hopefully this tsunami alarm means there won't be any casualties in other countries.

They're already doing that in most (probably all) places with a warning. Kenya is now on the list of countries with the warning.

PH2011031102332.jpg

I can't help but think of how much of a pain it would be to rebuild this, rather than think of the lives lost :(

That disaster wasn't natural.

On the contrary, it is not more than natural.

It all happens when it happens, and it all is as it is.

The beauty of change, it was simply their time.

It's not unexpected, the Japanese are fairly well prepared for natural disasters such as this since they endure many, many tectonic hazards. They hold disaster preparation days annually, the structures are better prepared than those in places such as Haiti... Not the end of the world.

Istanbul is long overdue a massive earthquake, by a few hundred years. When that hits, the city will in all likelihood be completely decimated.

Let's give flameboy a break. Whilst I don't believe in prophecies, I'd be lying if I said they didn't spring to mind when I see terrible disasters such as this tsunami and the earthquakes in New Zealand.

Conspiracy theorists are usually onto something. They've been proven right many times over things we'd rather believe governments didn't do. However, it can't be escaped that there are also loads of nutters and liars about. I've got no time for hoaxers who try to scare people with false images of "Planet X" or whatever.

My theory is that, whilst we are not heading for apocalypse, there is probably something someone's got wind of, such as the higher solar flares at the moment or the imminent supernova of a star in a distant solar system. Maybe the conspiracy theorists are even right that there is going to be a "pole shift", or maybe there really is an extra planet in our solar system. Combined with pure fiction, such as the film "2012", this has got people worried. Don't be gullible, but don't think governments won't lie to you either.

So, basically, don't worry. My guess is that nothing will happen. Even if it does, it'll probably be so subtle (if you can call natural disasters "subtle") governments will be able to say nothing happened anyway.

To me the most obvious point is just that the world is changing, but no, I wouldn't say the world is ending, it all seems an overreaction.

I certainly feel for those in Japan, new zeland etc right now, it's bloody awful! :(

I've been in the belief that lately the Earth is getting worse the closer we get to 2012, which it is so far. The doomsayers must be thrilled.

It's really not getting worse at all. It's been like this since... forever.

If you think about it, it's really not that weird that earthquakes seem to happen close to each other. I mean, New Zealand and Japan aren't too far apart, the tectonic plates they're on probably interact with each other. If one moves, the other one will be affected too.

And especially in places like Japan, earthquakes are quite common. It's just the ones of this magnitude that aren't as common (luckily).

I'm geeking out geologically over this; for those of you who are into data:

Live earthquake data in the Pacific

Live Tsunami data from NOAA

Blog abounding in maps and data

Been following this for most of the day every now and again. Most of the action is over though; few ripples in California and Mexico. Overall the impression I get is that Japan has coped extremely well for an 8.9 magnitude earthquake. The damage could have been so much worse, but thankfully the Japanese are well prepared for an event like this.

Got a lot friends in Japan right now, with a couple of them literally getting back there about 2 days ago as their exchange time was up, thankfully every one I know is all right.

Imagine this earth quake nearly any where else, we could have a repeat of 2004's scenario or even higher, thank god Japan's infrastructure is very well protected against earthquakes. The problem now is Fukushima, which is nearly on the verge of leaking radiation or even possibly blowing to smithereens, a repeat of Chernobyl. As of now, they're venting some of the radioactive vapour to prevent a burst.

But my god, seeing how in flames Sendai is in was just horrifying. I even chimed how they could really do with a tsunami to my friend, just to lighten up the dreadful situation as we're facing a year out there starting from September.

Shocking disaster. Like some of the unnecessary comments in this topic.

Surprised by the complete lack of sympathy by some in this thread. I saw a few amateur videos of people affected. For some reason I feel a lot sadder about this disaster than others :(

Yes, let's all feel sad, think about how terrible this all is and keep the people of Japan in our thoughts, praying that they get through this.

That will fix it.

Yes, let's all feel sad, think about how terrible this all is and keep the people of Japan in our thoughts, praying that they get through this.

That will fix it.

Better than acting like uncaring tossers

Better than acting like uncaring tossers

You will find that it is the exact same. Unless you actively do something.

That will fix it.

No need to be a twat.

Edited by Ramar

That will fix it.

Donating rather than being a sarcy dick will fix it even better!

http://www.redcross.org.uk/disasterfund/?approachcode=68861_DFjapmar

https://www.internationalmedicalcorps.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=1967

http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/japan-earthquake-tsunami-relief/

https://donate.convoyofhope.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=419