NEurope
flameboy

Is the world actually ending? Japan hit by quake and tsunami

Sorry if this has been posted.

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis

The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

[...]

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

It's hard to find actual facts about this in the chaos of news, but it sounds like the worst-case is radiation leaks into the nearby area. A total meltdown should be pretty internal.

Due to the type of reactor and the way the plants are built, it won't be anything like Chernobyl.

Depending on the way the wind blows, won't adjacent countries be affected, too?

It's really hard to tell with the amount of conflicting reports. Some say that it will be ten times worse than Chernobyl.

Then again, they also said that the tsunami would cause havoc on Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, parts of America, etc so it may be safe to assume that nobody has any idea.

Edit: Still, how did anyone get permission to build so many nuclear reactors next to a fault line?

That would mostly depend on what happens with the nuclear reactor I think. If radioactive steam/gas/smoke gets released (well even more than is now), then that can affect other places.

If there's a meltdown, the nuclear waste will spread in the ground, so it'll be quite local. At least that's what I'm getting from all the experts talking.

The difference with Chernobyl is that this one had already been turned off, while the one in Chernobyl was still working. That one exploded, and the radioactive smoke was spread over Europe over the next days. It also burnt for ages because of a material used in the reactor, something that is not being used in the Japanese ones.

So if something happens, it'll most likely not be like what happened in Chernobyl. Or let's hope it won't be like that.

Edit: Still, how did anyone get permission to build so many nuclear reactors next to a fault line?

Let's hope that they took potential disasters into account while building the reactors, then...at least some/all were turned off. After seeing pictures of damaged buildings and fissues in the road, I'm impressed that the reactors didn't just fall into themselves and explode.

Let's hope that they took potential disasters into account while building the reactors, then...at least some/all were turned off. After seeing pictures of damaged buildings and fissues in the road, I'm impressed that the reactors didn't just fall into themselves and explode.

They have underground containments made for any nuclear meltdown - the reactors exploding doesn't actual seem to be an issue. The big problem is if there is enough damage to cause a radiation leak somewhere.

Speaking of Chernobyl, the reactor that went up was covered with a concrete sarcophagus. The sarcophagus was only ever designed to last 20 or so years, meaning it needed renewing in about 2006. They've only just started building it's replacement and the current one is in a sorry state.

Only 3% of the original nuclear material was expelled in 1986, leaving behind 216 tons of uranium and plutonium still buried inside the exploded reactor, is a chilling reminder that the explosion was not the end, but rather the beginning. Scientists now agree that this sarcophagus will eventually collapse, and when it does there will be an even greater release of radioactivity than in the initial accident.

Link

Fake apparently fuck you twitter.

Did anyone see the sun's headline, talk about doommongering. APOCALYPSE JAPAN

The explosion was the exterior walls of one of the reactor buildings.

There has been an explosion at the Fukushima No 1 nuclear power plant in north-eastern Japan, close to the epicentre of the quake. Officials say the blast is not a meltdown but exterior walls of one of the reactor buildings have been destroyed.
Edited by James

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThrZxxn8lVQS-vAOMpLL-WaOvAlygDB38vktr1xF6ydMZY-PTvTw&t=1

They shouldn't have built so many reactors next to the fault line!

Erm look at the map, they can't really help where they build there power stations they are surrounded by tectonic plates.

http://twitter.com/#!/xCyrusAndLovato/status/46398988970246144

RIP: Satoshi Tajiri.

Oh. Hold on, it's fake apparently.

Yes it's been spreading around tumblr too, although I'm more concerned with the over 1000 people dead rather than one man who made pokèmon.

My friend put on facebook that apparently Maru is fine, this it has to be said did make me giggle a little. She loves him.

Taking everything into consideration, its amazing how well thought out Japan's infrastructure is and how low the death toll is from this.

Of course even one death is tragic so im not trying to belittle the situation.

As for the nuclear factor, i love electricity so i won't dare throw stones about their nuclear setup.

According to Giz, Japan haven't requested aid yet so donations might never even reach Japan.

http://twitter.com/#!/xCyrusAndLovato/status/46398988970246144

RIP: Satoshi Tajiri.

Oh. Hold on, it's fake apparently.

Even though it was an obvious fake (the earthquake itself did next to no damage, the tsunami did and people of anime and games companies tend to be in tokyo/kyoto and the tsunami only hit the areas surrounding Sendai, over 250 miles from Tokyo), Ken Sugimori confirmed that Satoshi Tajiri was alive

There's a lot of conflicting reports concerning the Nuclear reactor but I find it very hard to imagine it would top what happened at Chernobyl. Chernobyl was a fuck up of mass proportion caused by error after error. Japan have a long and safe history with Nuclear Reactors and are in much better position to handle any fallout that the USSR were.

http://i.imgur.com/eFYYe.jpg

Anyone seen this yet?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

'Yeah I hate it for Japan but remember those idiots started World War 2. They bombed Pearl Harbor. Wonder how much money we will send to them.'

No offence to any Americans here but come on... just so stupid.

Remember, there are loads of Americans who will think that person's an idiot too.