NEurope
McPhee

What does beer mean to you?

I was always the weird one out too. Everybody would be drinking Carling or Vodka or something and then there's me with Guinness. I usually get took the mick out of for having a pint but it's true what Charlie has been saying: If you don't like it, don't have it.

Hell, if I let peer pressure get to me, I'd be in such a bad place right now, lol.

We can all agree that peer pressure is a terrible thing, especially since it grows from lack of acceptance. The power of social constructs can be absolutely terrifying.

I was always the weird one out too. Everybody would be drinking Carling or Vodka or something and then there's me with Guinness. I usually get took the mick out of for having a pint but it's true what Charlie has been saying: If you don't like it, don't have it.

Hell, if I let peer pressure get to me, I'd be in such a bad place right now, lol.

Who the hell mocks someone for drinking a Guinness?... I've never drank the stuff before, but I definitely wouldn't put someone down for having a pint. A shandy cider (yes a friend ordered that once, watered down apple juice) is worth taking the piss out of.

I never get beer ever. I love the bulmers or a nice fruity number of a cocktail. And the only person that ever makes fun of me is my mother.

So I can't say I suffer from that problem. I've never done things just to be manly, or fit in with the lads anyway.

Who the hell mocks someone for drinking a Guinness?... I've never drank the stuff before, but I definitely wouldn't put someone down for having a pint. A shandy cider (yes a friend ordered that once, watered down apple juice) is worth taking the piss out of.

Teenagers who think they're cool because they drink Vodka to get pissed. I couldn't believe I was being mocked myself really but apparently, it's an "old man's drink" and I was told to "get with the times". Yes, these are the kind of people I rarely hang around with anymore, lmao.

People here forget that gently ribbing at a pal's choice in fashion/music/beverage is a social gesture that, in most instances, suggests camaraderie. Friends will take the piss out of you for being different. They're still friends. Have the willpower to take it and the wisdom to take it lightly.

We can all agree that peer pressure is a terrible thing, especially since it grows from lack of acceptance. The power of social constructs can be absolutely terrifying.

Peer Pressure is the best thing. Without I couldn't half heartedly make fun of my friends for being different, because we all know diversity is evil.

Don't give in to peer pressure though, just make fun of them for not drinking what you're drinking.

People here forget that gently ribbing at a pal's choice in fashion/music/beverage is a social gesture that, in most instances, suggests camaraderie. Friends will take the piss out of you for being different. They're still friends. Have the willpower to take it and the wisdom to take it lightly.

Oh, but that's something entirely different from true peer pressure, see? Of course friendly banter and piss-taking is part of friendship and social interaction. The peer pressure I'm talking about is the genuine ridicule and humiliation of people who don't adhere to the norms of their peers.

English ale for me.

It's spring, it's sunny, it's pleasantly warm. I've been out all day photographing local villages. I have a nice pint of Fuller's London Pride, Adnam's Bitter or Broadside, or Greene King Abbot Ale. As I drink it, I imagine some unrealistic, medieval, fantasy version of England or the days of Robin Hood. I know I'm a romanticist, but that's what beer's about to me.

Ahhhh, all top brews!

For me? Beer? Shiiiet, it's about a lot! At the age of...uh...young, when I started drinking, I hated the stuff and swore off it. At some point I started drinking it, and liking it. Beer has a strange edge to it, it's basically bitter sweet, bitter with the sweet aftertaste, I like that.

The other thing about beer? I feel like it's a taste you get from nothing else. Honestly, I can't really approximate anything to beer, other than beer.

Of course, I speak of beer so generally, but that's another beauty of it...it's such a massive topic in itself! Lagers, Ales, Bitters, White Beers, all sorts of beers I don't even know about!! I love it!!

My lager of choice used to be carlsberg export, now Kronenburg cos I've got used to it due to being cheap from the offy over the road. When I'm out in my usual spoony haunts, bottles of Efes or sometimes a Newcastle Brown, if not a(usually crappy) ale off the pumps. I'll have the occasional Guinness, too. I'll have the occasional anything beer-related, really!

Beer is such a huge subject, and such a massive part of britain I guess. I enjoy a good ale, and it's always nice to find someone else who does too.

The only beer I enjoy is Früli strawberry fruit beer, which probably can't be found here (I had it in London). I can tolerate/semi-enjoy Hite Max. I've only ever tried two other beers, Heineken and Asahi, and I found them so bitter and carbonated and undrinkable :( Won't comment on peer pressure as I see it's been thripped.

Brew Dog were my favourite brewer. Not so sure now though, I've not tried most of their current range because nowhere local stocks anything other than the Punk IPA these days. Might have to order a few mixed cases directly. Their 'Dogma' beer was amazing, it basically introduced me to the idea that beer wasn't just a bland, bubbly substance of varying colour. The smell of heather and taste of honey in the beer was incredible and was the first time I really noticed that beer could actually contain other flavours, gained from the hops or the other ingredients and the environments they were grown in. Unfortunately I'm not sure Brew Dog are quite the same brewer they were 2 years ago, they've been focused on brewing the World's Strongest Beer of late. They started with Hardcore IPA at 9.5%, then moved up to Tokyo at 18.2%, then got the World's Strongest gong with Tactical Nuclear Penguin, then lost it to German brewer Schorschbrau's Schorschboch, then regained the title last month with Sink The Bismark (awesome name!). Having never tried beer stronger than 10% I'm not all that sure about ordering any of that stuff (the Hardcore IPA is brutal enough!), Paradox is out of stock and nowt stands out in the standard range.

Loving Badger ales at the moment. Such a great range of beers with so much flavour! Had some English Gold last night for the first time and loved it. There's a strong flavour of elderflower and grape in the beer, making it maybe a bit too drinkable? :p Could be a good one for the summer though :D

BTW, any Londoners ever been to the Euston Tap? I've walked past it every time I've been in the city and never taken any notice. A few days ago someone told me it's one of the best Ale pubs in London. Gutted :(

I bloody love beer. But I don't think I've met anyone who liked beer when they first tasted it.

I drink mostly lagers, but over the last few years I've gotten into ales. Hook Norton and London Pride mostly, although I'll endeavour to try something new. It can be a bit of pot luck what you'll get, but that's a good thing. The variety of ales they have to offer in this country is great.

My drink of choice would still be a nice cold pint of lager though. Has anyone ever been drinking in Germany/Austria? The lager in Austria is fantastic. My understanding is that while in Britain we locally brew ales, in Germany they brew lagers. The best thing about it is how cheap it is over there.

Ahhhh, all top brews!

I forgot another one of my favourites - Directors, brewed by Courage. Hope I haven't ruined my batting average there?

For me? Beer? Shiiiet, it's about a lot! At the age of...uh...young, when I started drinking, I hated the stuff and swore off it. At some point I started drinking it, and liking it. Beer has a strange edge to it, it's basically bitter sweet, bitter with the sweet aftertaste, I like that.

Yep. I can't drink alcopops like "Caribbean Twist" because they taste like pure sugar to me (I'm always surprised when they sell). Even cider is too sweet for me to drink a lot of. The perfect bittersweet taste, and I know a lot of people take the mickey out of this, is a drop of lime with lager.

Of course, I speak of beer so generally, but that's another beauty of it...it's such a massive topic in itself! Lagers, Ales, Bitters, White Beers, all sorts of beers I don't even know about!! I love it!!

Yeah, it's very interesting. There are basically two types - lager and ale. You can separate those easily because they are brewed differently. Lager is basically lager, although you can have dark and amber lagers, which is interesting. Ale, though, has so many different types, like stout (porter), mild beer, wheat beer (white beer), pale ale, light ale and of course, probably the best of all, the classic bitter! I suppose the quintessential ale is what I'd call "strong bitter" - not sure if that's a real term or not.

When I'm out in my usual spoony haunts, bottles of Efes or sometimes a Newcastle Brown, if not a(usually crappy) ale off the pumps. I'll have the occasional Guinness, too. I'll have the occasional anything beer-related, really!

Guinness is amazing out of the pump, isn't it? That's my favourite thing you can get in the average pub.

My drink of choice would still be a nice cold pint of lager though. Has anyone ever been drinking in Germany/Austria? The lager in Austria is fantastic. My understanding is that while in Britain we locally brew ales, in Germany they brew lagers. The best thing about it is how cheap it is over there.

Yeah, pilsner is a German and Czech invention.

Director's is ok, I don't tend to go for it, but I don't really know why. Tbh I don't really drink many ales anymore due to it being a more expensive option(when by the bottle), tends to be when I go out with the nurses(not the stereotype, these are guys) from the ward I work most at.

Loving Badger ales at the moment. Such a great range of beers with so much flavour! Had some English Gold last night for the first time and loved it. There's a strong flavour of elderflower and grape in the beer, making it maybe a bit too drinkable? :p Could be a good one for the summer though :D

One of my favourite bottle Ales for it's...difference, I guess, is Badger's Golden Glory. It's beer in your mouth, but floral and peachy on the aftertaste! Makes me think of summer, for some reason.

What does beer mean to me. Well I've been drinking so what better time to answer this question. I'm also not adhering to the no backspace rule just so this doesn't seem as out of place.

Beer means a good time. Even if I start drinking in a bad mood i'll end up in a decent or good mood, especially with friends. My friends don't even drink beer, it's just I drink when hanging out and hanging out is always fun. If I'm drinking at home I'm usually chatting with friends and a good time is still had.

Beer also means frequent bathroom trips. It just travels right on through.

Over here beers are like, our national drinks or something. Belgians take pride in the many many beers that are produced here and the quality of them. It's a bit weird that Stella Artois is sold so much abroad, when many people here wouldn't consider it very good I think.

I don't drink beer myself. I've tried it once or twice, but I didn't like the taste of it at all. Maybe if I tried different types I would find one I like, but I don't feel like trying. =P

The only beer I'll drink is Kriek, which is beer with cherries heh.

Just to say, thank you, Belgium. You are the best beer nation. :3

Kriek is pretty good, but believe me, there are a lot more like that from Belgium. Infact, I love wheat beer... ahhh.. and all those different trappist beers that are so strong... mmmm <3