NEurope
Murr

5th Resident Evil Film - 14th Sept 2012

Publisher said to have joined with Sony Pictures on new 3D installment in survival horror movie series, due Sept. 14, 2012.

Capcom’s Resident Evil films may aspire to middling reviews, but there’s no denying their money-making prowess. The self-proclaimed top-earning Japanese game-based film series, Resident Evil’s first three films grossed more than $100 million a piece, while 2010’s Resident Evil: Afterlife has already earned more than $230 million internationally.

It should come as no surprise, then, that a fifth installment in the film series has entered production. Box Office Mojo reports that Capcom and Sony Pictures have scheduled a fifth Resident Evil for release on September 14, 2012. As with Afterlife, Resident Evil 5, as it is currently known, will be filmed in stereoscopic 3D.

Resident Evil 5 has yet to receive a subtitle, and no additional details on filming or casting have been revealed. The first four films have been loosely set in the same universe as the games and have starred Milla Jovovich as Alice, a heroine battling for survival in the midst of a zombie apocalypse unleashed by the Umbrella Corporation.

Capcom has yet to announce a formal follow-up to 2010’s well-regarded Resident Evil 5, though former design head Keiji Inafune said in September that the publisher is attempting to get Resident Evil 6 out as soon as possible. Capcom is also at work on two installments in the series for the 3DS, Resident Evil: Revelations and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries.

Source - Gamesradar.com

Awesome. Bring it on. Thought Afterlife was entertaining enough.

Fifth? I thought there were three.

Resident Evil

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Resident Evil: Extinction

Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D

Often tolerate and enjoy terrible films, but five?.. Come on now.

Often tolerate and enjoy terrible films, but five?.. Come on now.
I can't believe how much money these have made! It's pretty impressive!

I can't believe how much money these have made! It's pretty impressive!

These films are a good example about how you can fail upwards and profit.

To be fair, these films didn't set out to be great cinema. They're camp fun, they know it and they're very good at it.

I don't mind them all that much except for Extinction...I really hate Extinction. I don't think much of Afterlife either but meh, lol.

I'm not really surprised with this news considering how Afterlife ended...

From what I've heard, Afterlife was intended to be the last movie, but then it did surprisingly well (because it's in 3D or because people have bad taste or whatever), so here we are. :blank:

I found the first movie mediocre but watchable. The sequel was absolutely horrible, though. It amazes me that the series is still going.

From what I've heard, Afterlife was intended to be the last movie, but then it did surprisingly well (because it's in 3D or because people have bad taste or whatever), so here we are. :blank:

That's surprising given tha it ends on a cliff hanger that implies another film would follow. The 3rd film was also meant to be the final film orginally and then that also ended on a cliff hanger.

That's surprising given tha it ends on a cliff hanger that implies another film would follow. The 3rd film was also meant to be the final film orginally and then that also ended on a cliff hanger.

This just proves that they have no idea how to make movies. :p

Edited by Magnus

I thought the fourth film was hilarious and highly entertaining. Wouldn't mind another one, would probably enjoy it in fact.

To be fair, these films didn't set out to be great cinema. They're camp fun, they know it and they're very good at it.

It's fine to be self-aware, but do they really have to use the Resident Evil licence in order to do that? The films share few similarities with the games. I remember playing the first game and thought it would make an awesome movie.

I won't be seeing this. The first film is ok in places, awful in others. The second film is just terrible.

Update = Fifth Resident Evil To Be A Prequel/Reboot For The Franchise

ResidentEvilBegins.jpg

Even though some fans of the video game franchise Resident Evil have not been to fond of the movie franchise sharing the same (and not much else), The Resident Evil movies have still proven to be a popular choice for movie goers since it's big screen debut. Starring Milla Jovovich as the character Alice, who would become a super powered evil fighter later in the franchise.

Now Bloody-Disgusting have gotten their hands on the films official logo and the official title. They also are reporting that the newly titled Resident Evil: Begins will be a Reboot/prequel set in 1998, before the events of the first film. This sure to be a highly liked idea by the video game and a good chunk of the movie community.

Not only did Sienna Guillory confirm she will be returning to the franchise as the character Jill Valentine, but BD also states that she will be the main character of the film. This will be the first time in the movie franchise that Alice will not be the main focus. Here is what BD had to say about the currently vaguely detailed plot:

For the first time in the series' history Alice will not be the main character. Instead Begins will follow Ms. Valentine as she finds herself in the midst of the major viral outbreak caused by Umbrella.

Another part of BD's report is that RE: BEGINS is likely to get its own video game, which will be the first time the franchise has based the game off the movie instead of Vise-Versa. They also had some minor details on the game:

Supposedly, the game will follow both Jill and Alice before the outbreak. As Jill, you'll be tasked with slowing the spreading of the T-virus and as Alice your goal will be to try to reveal Umbrella and the illegal work they've been doing in the underground Hive facility. Jill and Alice's paths never cross, well, not until the events in Apocalypse, so the game's essentially telling two very different stories.

Resident Evil: Begins hits theaters September 14, 2012, in 3-D.

But... what about the cliffhanger at the end of the last film :heh:

So this is supposed to be set after the mansion?... in the 2 months between Resi 1 & 3?

Wow, because there's so much of a story to tell there!

And especially making a game of the film! It had better no be a game developed by Capcom, because 1) no one cares what happens in these couple of months that dont matter to the story, and 2) because it had better not take away from work on Resi 6/a game that moves the story/series forward.

Also, why is the word reboot being used at all? If this was a reboot, it wouldn't have the same actress playing Jill. It's a prequel.

But... what about the cliffhanger at the end of the last film :heh:

They don't care because this film will still gives out amount of stupid money like the last film did.

Also, why is the word reboot being used at all? If this was a reboot, it wouldn't have the same actress playing Jill. It's a prequel.

Because she is the prefect Jill for the role? Also I think the game part is april fool joke (I hope).

e4AQa.png

620965-sienna_guillory_super.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Whilst I can kind of sympathise with people complaining about the live-action Resident Evil films not being canonical, at the same time the CGI Resident Evil: Degeneration is basically one of the games in film form and people still complained about it, so you rather have to question what it is people want.

I don`t mind providing its a new director and writer who can perhaps make it like the video games for once.

Just thinking about this "game based on the film"... you think they could just be confused as Revelations was also announced yesterday to not be ready till 2012?

Can one of you buy me the box set of the previous films? I need them in my life, without paying.