NEurope

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chairdriver

Behind The Rent Strike

Watch this documentary. It is fantastic.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/behind_the_rent_strike/

The section where it travels round the floor of the chicken factory is particularly powerful for me. Where she reminisces on this wonderful experience, traveling round Ireland singing, which she says that many people don't have the guts to experience. People should be experiencing things like that, rather than being worked to death, for no gain. It's moments like that where it kicks you in the stomach how fraked-up capitalism is. That these women work 10 hours a day, every day, to such an extent that this one memory of her travels in Ireland is treasured, because she isn't living a life.

Post-Millbank, I know exactly what the woman means in the second-to-last interview. Protest changes you. Gives you a new perspective. Makes you realise how suspect the idea of a policeman is; that a person is given oft-unquestioned authority over another. The part where the woman quizzes the policemen about what the nature of their job is particularly pertinent. If the job of the policeman is to protect the people, why are they aiding and abetting in the exploitation of the most vulnerable?

I'm reminded of a recent claim that Tories aren't against poor people. Yes, many aspects of our culture has changed since 1972, but I don't think we should forget so easily.

So much food for thought.