NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
chairdriver

Are We Equals?

I was, but with a point. I'm in a quoting mood today.

I honestly have no idea why you think that is negative. It's absolutely liberating. Free your mind.

Oh, I definitely agree, but you have to admit that your post came off as pretty pessimistic. :heh:

Completely the opposite.

Does anyone else think Daniel Craig in drag looks like Sam Womack?

Oh, I definitely agree, but you have to admit that your post came off as pretty pessimistic. :heh:

In no way whatsoever do I think that. Even its style avoids pessimism; short sentences, hiding words like 'not' and the prefix 'un-'. If that wasn't enough I purposely ended it with a rousing bit of positive advice.

I can only suspect that you read it as negative because I posted it? I have a reputation for being negative but, unless I'm referring to myself, I'm not that bad. I am critical, but then that's not the same thing.

I don't know. I'm not even ranting now (seriously, I'm not) so don't take this as anything significant or me having a go at you or anyone. I'm honestly just curious as to how you read it as negative.

Aaaaannnyyywaaaaay....

5505326649_e297e26156_o.gif

I'll shut up now...

Edit: Just to reiterate, that was a real ramble. Me thinking out loud.

Edited by Daft

In no way whatsoever do I think that. Even its style avoids pessimism; short sentences, hiding words like 'not' and the prefix 'un-'. If that wasn't enough I purposely ended it with a rousing bit of positive advice.

I can only suspect that you read it as negative because I posted it? I have a reputation for being negative but, unless I'm referring to myself, I'm not that bad. I am critical, but then that's not the same thing.

I don't know. I'm not even ranting now (seriously, I'm not) so don't take this as anything significant or me having a go at you or anyone. I'm honestly just curious as to how you read it as negative.

Don't be silly, I didn't read it as negative because you posted it, even though you do have a bit of a reputation for being cynical. I've read enough of your posts to know you're really not a Mr Negative, and I actually really respect your views. :)

When I say the post appears negative, it's because of the values commonly associated with the concepts that you rejected as untrue: Equality, life's fairness, nobody being on their own, the value of morality ... All concepts that we've learnt to regard as good and true. Of course, on a closer analysis, none of them are really true, but that is actually a good thing - it's liberating, as you say.

Haha! Silly is the perfect word to describe my past few weeks. I need a holiday (from myself). :heh:

I came across the Just World Hypothesis today in Social Psychology, which is where people want to believe the world is just and people get what they deserve. Which isn't true at all, and leads people into blaming victims of inexplicable acts by rationalising that it was somehow their fault and that they deserved it somehow, when most of the time, objectively, they didn't. It helps people deflect anxiety and they can therefore continue to believe the world is a fair place.

I'm sure there are other goal orientated behaviours attached to a just world or whatever else people may gain from believing in that.

Regarding Daft's post, I didn't think it was negative, and agree that it is very freeing.

Sign in to follow this