NEurope
Charlie

Apple Media Event

Because widgets look awful. Every Android homescreen I've seen just looks like a mess of icons and widgets.

Widgets eat battery life and slow down performance too. Total waste of space at this point in time on phones imo.

This is what my homescreen looks like.

4VmID.jpg

I love it, gives me everything I need to know, upcoming appointments, unread texts etc at a glance.

This is what my homescreen looks like.

4VmID.jpg

I love it, gives me everything I need to know, upcoming appointments, unread texts etc at a glance.

That looks... fugly. What device is that on?

That looks... fugly. What device is that on?

An Android one, just like these (and thousands of others):

5498260081_e4d2d6179f.jpgCity.jpg232911-1.jpg

I like to keep mine simple, just the most important things on the main screen.

mllds8.jpg

(ooh reflective)

And if there was a dedicated camera button there would be less. On another page I have my internet things (3G, Wifi, twitter, FB, Gmail). All the attention really should be on the awesome wallpaper.

Anyway ummm iPads?

Yeah, iPads. I'm not getting another one. I haven't got the kind of money to be getting a new one every year.

I'm slightly concerned apps might start to not work on the 1st one given the dual core CPU.

I will probably get next years one depending on how the 1st one is doing by then in terms of speed. Anyone with an iPhone 3G will tell you what a couple of years of updates did to it, it was utterly crippled.

I completely agree with the above post. Kinda annoying how swift tech moves sometimes. A 2/3 year life cycle

would be much better over these 'minor' updates.

And of course the useful life of these products is much longer than that. Luckily you aren't forced to buy every years upgrade.

I'm tempted to look at the iPad 1 prices when the iPad 2 hits and maybe drop some money on the earlier model. Nothing significant in terms of actual ability for iPad 2 if you ask me. Best to skip the .5 or S releases of Apple's products and stick to the significant updates, right?

Watch me go and buy an iPad 2 now anyway. I want that sexy cover.

The cost of the iPad 1 has already plummeted, you can get a refurb for about £289.

Yeah, but lots of retailers are still hanging on in there hoping to snag some sales until the iPad 2 comes out. I'm sure the prices will drop further when the thing actually releases, at least some places.

I'd get one sooner rather than later, the old ones won't be available for too long after the new one releases.

I completely agree with the above post. Kinda annoying how swift tech moves sometimes. A 2/3 year life cycle

would be much better over these 'minor' updates.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with updates like this, I'd just like them to last for a few years when you buy them. I mean my previous Macbook lasted 4 years and was fine in terms of running software. I'd like the mobile devices to last at least 3 years really.

I want to be using my iPad for a while if possible. £430 is a lot to be spending every year or 2.

I want to be using my iPad for a while if possible.

I'm going to play stupid and ask: What exactly prevents you from doing so?

Seems like it will soon be time to invest in an iPad 1 then. No need for the camera and I'm sure the retina display will be a worthy reason to upgrade to the 3 whenever it strikes.

I'd get one sooner rather than later' date=' the old ones won't be available for too long after the new one releases.[/quote']

Yeah you're not gonna get a better deal than the refurbs right now.

They might stop making new ones but when the 2nd one comes out, eBay, CEX etc are going to get loads of second hand ones.

I'm going to play stupid and ask: What exactly prevents you from doing so?

Just to reply to this, what I mean is I want software updates to run fairly well. The 3G is terrible with iOS4, and if you're stuck on iOS3 you miss out on new apps. What I'm saying is I'd like my iPad to be usable in this sense for the next 2 years at least. My MacBook doesn't get left behind like this.

I wish Apple, Comet, PC World etc did pre-ordering for the new iPad, might be tough to pick one up on friday!

I doubt Curry's and PC World will have any tbh, stocks are low worldwide so I expect you'll need to go to an Apple Store to be sure they'll have stock.

PC World and Comet have confirmed they're getting stock. In fact even places like Apple resellers, John Lewis, HMV, Tesco and mobile network shops are getting some in on Friday.