NEurope
Charlie

Apple Media Event

Though by a lot of the recent rumours more of an iPad 1.5, I'm hoping not though, I have the urging for an upgrade but fear it won't be worth it.

I'd definitely say it's more 1.5 than 2. Certainly for me it's not worth upgrading, but I am anyway. Will sell the current one and it should only be a few hundred dollars for me to upgrade. Anyone interested in my old one?

Yeah I agree that it's more of a 1.5 but it still looks good. Amazing that they can fit all that stuff into it and manage to make it even thinner.

I won't be upgrading as I have no need for the cameras and being thin doesn't bother me as I have mine in a thick, leather case anyway.

Don't think I like the case that Apple announced, doesn't really protect it at all and there's only one option for standing it.

You are, of course, completely right. But I just can't help the lust. I have to have a white one with a baby blue case and I have to have it next week.

On the case I think it's fine, mine is used outside of a case and before then I even had it loose in my bag, never got any marks on the front or back. Also the standing options are the same two as the previous case as far as I can tell.

Is it just me or is that grill on the back fugly?

Not going to upgrade until version 3. More deghted that Garageband has come to the iPad. Awesome news!

I always said I'd wait until they added multitasking before I bought one, then I decided to wait for the new one. I'll be getting mine in white with the black cover. Just need to decide on what size to get, will definitely be getting it with 3G though.

I'm sold, it'll be my first iPad :)

Only problem is, it's released on the same day as the 3DS!!! Ouch, there goes a fair few quid in one day.

Well my first generation iPad is up for sale and I guess I'll be queueing up for the new one next week. I can't wait!

Looks good. Not enough for me to upgrade though, especially given Apple just cut the 1st gen prices by £100! I'd be surprised if I could get more than about £250 for my 16GB WiFi now (probably nearer the £200 mark).

The HDMI dongle reportedly works on the first iPad, iPhone 4 and the latest iPod Touch. Not sure if I'll pick one up or not...

Will someone post some pics of the thing?? Failthread.

It's an iPad. It looks pretty much the same.

wifi_3g_wifi_ipad_20110302.jpg

How can people cope with just shortcut icons as a homescreen?

Think I prefer the design of the older one, but need to see this one in person. Apple seem a bit obsessed with making things thinner but I'd rather have it an extra 3 or 4 mm and get a couple more hours of battery.

Not much different to a computer desktop? And some people hide all their icons on those. New emails etc are highlighted by a number on the icon.

There are jailbreaks to put the weather, new tweets/emails etc on your home screen but personally I don't like it. I'm happy for that stuff to be tucked a few clicks away.

It's an iPad. It looks pretty much the same.

wifi_3g_wifi_ipad_20110302.jpg

Because widgets look awful. Every Android homescreen I've seen just looks like a mess of icons and widgets.

As for iPad 2, people are saying it's 1.5 but I'm not really sure what else they were supposed to be adding to this thing? I've seen the demos of it, and it looks really fast, must smoother than 3.0 on the Xoom.

People are too focussed on specs. If it runs fast, I don't care what hardware it's on.

iOS5 will hopefully get rid of the annoying notifications though. :p

Because widgets look awful. Every Android homescreen I've seen just looks like a mess of icons and widgets.

I personally think that mine looks quite snazzy. You can always just have shortcuts there if you want it like that, too.

x28cw5.jpg

I also have easy access to wifi/network/hotspot settings or a calender by scrolling left or right.

See, whereas for me, I prefer the way the iOS home screen looks. I've never really had any desire to see the weather, or my calendar on my homescreen with my other apps. I don't use many widgets on my OS X Dashboard, although I'd be open to an iPad Dashboard.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want this to sound like a 'I'm right, youre wrong' comment. I can't stand fanboys. Engadget is utterly full of Android fanboys. Not the kind that are completely pro Android. That I can stand. They're just completely anti-Apple. I don't get it. I don't go around talking shit about Google. Why would anyone need to hear all that?

Android is fugly as hell IMO, and I'm no Apple fanboy but UI-wise Apple all the way, with the possible exception of notifications.

Android is fugly as hell IMO, and I'm no Apple fanboy but UI-wise Apple all the way, with the possible exception of notifications.

I'd change that possible, to definite. The notifications are pretty annoying. I think the thing that annoys me is simply reading or watching something and having it interrupted by a notification that just jumps in front of my face.

Widgets eat battery life and slow down performance too. Total waste of space at this point in time on phones imo.